Jump to content
The Fish

Colo No Go?

Recommended Posts

 

FABRICIO Coloccini has committed his future to Newcastle United – and ended 18 months of speculation.

The club’s captain has long been linked with a move away from St James’s Park.

But the 32-year-old has moved to end the speculation after discussions with United manager Alan Pardew and the club’s hierarchy.

Coloccini has told the Gazette that he WILL be back at the club next season.

And the news is a welcome lift for under-fire Pardew, whose ninth-placed side beat Cardiff City 3-0 at St James’s Park on Saturday to end a club-record run of six successive Premier League defeats.

Asked if he would stay at United, Coloccini said: “For sure. I’m going to be here.”

Coloccini asked to leave Newcastle in January last year and return to his native Argentina, where San Lorenzo were keen to sign him, because of what Pardew described at the time as a “personal issue”.

But the defender agreed to stay on after talks with the his manager and the club.

And Coloccini has now reiterated his commitment to United after coming through a “difficult” period off the pitch.

“I had personal problems,” said Coloccini. “Sometimes it’s tough. You have to decide between the problems and the work.

“Sometimes it’s too difficult. Now it’s finished, and next season I will be here. I’m looking forward to improving.

“We want the best for Newcastle United.

“This season we finished top 10, and maybe we will bring some players (in the summer).

“We will try to do well and finish in the top eight, or something like that. We will always try to improve.”

Coloccini and his Newcastle team-mates all but guaranteed a top-10 finish – the club’s objective this season –by beating Cardiff thanks to goals from Shola Ameobi, Loic Remy and Steven Taylor.

While frustrated at the second-half performance, Coloccini admitted the result was all-important after a dismal few weeks.

“It was a good result,” said Coloccini. “We played well in the first half, then in the second half we got the result.

“We needed the points to finish in the top 10, which was our target.”

The game was almost a sideshow to the protests off the pitch aimed at Pardew and United owner Mike Ashley.

Several thousand supporters walked out in the 60th and 69th minutes in a pre-planned protest at the club’s direction under Ashley, Pardew’s managership and the team’s form over the past four months.

“We understand the fans,” said Coloccini.

“We know that we didn’t do well in the last two or three months.

“We have to accept that and be honest on the pitch. We have to always give the same – 100 per cent like we did (against Cardiff).”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought he only had a year left on his contract anyway?

 

 

 

“This season we finished top 10, and maybe we will bring some players (in the summer).

“We will try to do well and finish in the top eight, or something like that. We will always try to improve.”

 

Fabricio, with these quotes, you're really spoiling us...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"the top 8 or something like that" means "the top 10, but excluding any spots that qualify for Europe with exits from the domestic cup competitions at the earliest opportunity"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather he didn't stay if he's not going to be committed. He's been just as shit for most of this season - that abominable crab-walk defence against Emnes in the Swansea game is etched in my mind - and we need leaders right now, not guff and uncertain levels of application. Give the armband to Tiote IMO, he always gives his all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's got his head right and wants to stay this is great news. When he's on his game he's one of the best defenders in the league. I'm hoping it's been his issues (and the general shite going on with the club since Cabaye's sale) that has seen is form drop rather than it be age related.

There's a fair few players out of contract in the summer that we all hope to see the back of (Shola, Gosling), we've got no chance of signing Remy if other clubs are interested and we all hope De Jong's deal wont become permanent. Add to that the likes of Squidward (please god), Marveaux and pretty much all the players we sent out on loan not proving to be good enough, we need to keep a hold of as many of Colo, Tiote, Debuchy, HBA etc as possible. Because we all know we won't make enough signings to replace that lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that's what we need then we need to not sell anyone from the first team and those 3-4 be a new strike force, a replcement for Cabaye and winger all of first team quality to have any hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
:lol: Aye, Pardew saying 3 to 4 as if it's exciting that's a fairly normal summer window for a lot of teams ffs. We need 2 up top alone, a winger (or 2), a cabaye replacement and a left back (as it seems Pardew has lost faith in Santon and he can fuck off if he thinks starting the season with Paul Dummet there is a viable option), that's 5 minimum to me tbh and that's provided we don't lose Debuchy or Krul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What ever the number is we're going to need a lot just to be level with the out goings , that's just replacing not strengthening.

Edited by trooper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given our form without Cabaye I'd say we need a replacement and a backup for his replacement!

 

and we need 4 up top, two starters and two backups

 

We need about a dozen players

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fabricio Coloccini will be a surprise contender to take over team affairs atNewcastle United if owner Mike Ashley eventually decides to sack manager Alan Pardew.

 

Ashley has resisted calls to get rid of Pardew after Newcastle’s dismal start to the season, which sees the club bottom of the Premier League table and still without a victory.

 

More bad results, however, could force Ashley’s hand and result in him looking for a successor to Pardew.

 

While Steve Bruce and David Moyes have been touted as long-term candidates, Newcastle captain Coloccini could get a chance to show his management credentials.

 

Pardew handed overall control to assistant John Carver when he was serving a stadium ban last season, but Coloccini also took on a greater role to fill the void.

 

 

Coloccini delivered half-time team-talks in the absence of Pardew and has become more involved on the training pitch between games.

 

Newcastle lost six of the seven games Carver stood in for Pardew last season and the 49-year-old clashed with a group of the club’s own fans ahead of the heavy defeat to Southampton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously hope this is the hacks trying to conjure up a story!

In the position we are in (started in January last season) we need an experienced premiership manager that can steady the boat and keep us in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Recent tweets

Toontastic Facebook

Donate to Toontastic

Keeping the lights on since... well ages ago
TT-Staff


×