FA looking at shake-up of league structure

The Fish

FA looking at shake-up of league structure David Bond BBC sports editor

A new competition for Premier League and Championship clubs to field B teams will be considered by the Football Association on Wednesday.

It has been proposed that the teams could play in a league sandwiched between League Two and the Conference.

Another option is to merge League Two and the Conference with the B teams to form two regional leagues.

The proposals are part of FA chairman Greg Dyke's commission on the future of the national team.

More on radical new plans to shake up England's professional league system [see 09:16 entry]. BBC Sport Editor David Bond says the most eye catching proposal is to introduce a new competition for Premier League and Championship clubs to field B teams which would be predominantly made up of home grown players.

Bond adds: "Another possibility would be to pool all the clubs in League Two and the Conference with the new B teams to form a bigger division which could then be split into two regional leagues. It is understood that the Premier League and Football League clubs are broadly in favour of the B team concept but have deep reservations about how it might fit into the pyramid and the knock on effects to other leagues and competitions.

"One question is whether current League Two clubs would be relegated into the Conference or the new B team league if they went down. The other difficult issue is how far could B teams be promoted?

Thoughts?

Edited by The Fish

How's that gonna help the national team? Pairing then off against League 2 and Conference level opposition?

I suppose the argument is that it's a competitive league, similar to the Spanish system?

Quite a lot of real and barcas homegrown players spent time in the B sides, busquets and pedro were still there a year before they were World Cup winners

I don't know much about the Spanish system, but how many of their international squad play lower league football?

Puyol did, Iniesta, Xavi... lots of them did. Just like loads of English players have played for their clubs' reserve squads, except Barcelona B play in the Segunda Division against teams like Zaragoza, Recreativo, Mallorca etc.

It'd be like NUFC B playing in League 2 against Northampton instead of Hull reserves.

Most championship teams don't have the squad to sustain 2 full time teams.

What happens to the teams in the conference/league 2 the season this all starts? Do they postpone promotion/relegation?

What's wrong with the current set up?

What happens to the teams in the conference/league 2 the season this all starts? Do they postpone promotion/relegation?

An England squad with the likes of Cleverly in it would be the answer to your last question.

I can't imagine that all clubs would have a B team in these proposed new leagues. I might be wrong but I don't thik the likes of Elche and Getafe have B teams playing the Spanish second tier. I would guess it would only be bigger clubs who would be able to field a team of this sort of standard.

Not sure in that case if this would benefit anyone other than the biggest clubs in the country and just help them move further away from the rest of the league like Barca, Real, Bayern, Benfica etc have in their countries.

Don't get your 1st point as it's probably for the bigger Prem sides, rather than Middlesbrough

Not sure, I'd imagine that before the season that this was brought in they'd have a plan though? Perhaps have a play off competition?

The current set up isn't promoting the young England players coming through as they'd be farmed out on loan to a club where the facilities, coaches, team mates are far poorer than they would be at an Arsenal B. The proposed scheme seems to work very well for Spain and we could do with trying one or two things from their approach.

Not sure in that case if this would benefit anyone other than the biggest clubs in the country and just help them move further away from the rest of the league like Barca, Real, Bayern, Benfica etc have in their countries.

Is it not more about improving the standards of young English players than mid-level Premier League clubs?

If you don't care about patriotism, then what's the worry? :razz:

I want a team full of Geordies.

Oh great!!, the Citeh's and Chelsea's of this world can have an A team and B team plus a couple of more teams (or equivalent of) out on loan.