iPhone / iPad guitar plugs

maggiespaws

I know its a while since I actively posted anything, but I there are a few guitarists on here and I'm getting back into playing.

I've been looking at the iRig (and the alternatives such as the ampkit & Jam) and wondered if anyone had any thoughts / experience of using them? Cost isnt the issue - they are all of a achievable price, but I wondered how people thought they performed? Is the iRig any good seeing as its a third of the cost?

I'm less interested in amp / effect simulation per ce (although it is useful), but more something I can use for headphoned practice, recording, playing along with etc.

I have one of the Vox Amplug's and they are ok - but I like the look of the iRig et al and the extra features.

Any opinions?

Cheers!

Alright man!

Personally I've no experience of them but I have been told they can sometimes be slow on the response - which I suppose defeats the purpose. Obviously it's going to depend on the quality of the ipad, software & connector.

I would probably go and try one first. If not I think Fender/Orange have kicked out some decent little amps with effects & headphone options etc & a lot allow you to play MP3s through them at the same time so you can get some backing tracks on the go!

Hey mate, yeah - I've considered the same. The basic iRig is £20 with the "HD" version nearer £70 which is the same as the Peavey one and some of the others.

For £150 I can get a little valve amp with headphones & line in. I think if I was going to that expense, I'd ditch the idea of the iRig and go with the valve practice amp (I have a thing for valves).

I guess, for £20, I should probably just try it. I can't seem to find my plug in guitar tuner, so I need one of those anyway at it's at least a tenner for one of those. The iRig has one built in and does different tunings. I suppose, when I think about it; for £20 if all it does successfully is help me tune my guitar and let me play along with an mp3 - job done. If I need anything more featured, I'm into the realms of Garageband et al anyway or if it's un-headphoned practicing; then the valve amp is the next step.

I suppose in hindsight, I've talked myself back round into the decision I was going to make in the beginning, perhaps I just needed to write it down to make the decision!

If you've got an iPad/iPhone you can download a free guitar tuner - it just uses the devices microphone. They're absolutely spot on.

I got myself a Ditto X2 looper & 3.5mm to 6mm Jack converter so I just create my own backing tracks via GarageBand & the looper but that's not much good for headphones as it goes through a got loud amp. Let me know how you get on anyway!

You have to check the app price as well. Not sure if that price you listed is just for the jack and then you have to shell out for the app (Amplitube or whatever). Some of those cost a bit extra and then you may find that you get a small handful of basic effects with the stuff you really want 'available as an in-app purchase'. You may be better off looking at a little solid state amp that has built in effects and cabinet modeling. Most of the newer ones even come with USB ports and free software to set your effects, etc. up through a computer and record tracks as well (Fender Mustang I, Mustang II, etc. for example).

If you want to go old school, you can probably pick a small tube amp up fairly cheap and look at the price of multi effects processing units like a DigiTech which are pretty reasonable and compact these days.

Not bought the iRig yet and it does come with Amplitube for free. However, I've started looking at tube practice amps though :blush2:

Separately, I've just bought one of these as one of the guys I've met at the group class I've started at has one and they are canny: http://www.snarktuners.com/tuners/original-clip-on

I bought the SN-2 as it does tuning through both the mic and vibration. Should arrive today.

I love the Snarks, very handy. Be careful swiveling the display around. The tabs on the back of the housing that hold the ball joint for the clip can break if you are rough on it.

That looks a quality little tuner. I mainly go by ear if I'm tuning standard mine & I use an iphone app for anything more complicated i.e my Ibanez is tuned flat/I'll tune open C or A for Slide.