Adam Lallana

Raheem Sterling

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Wayne Rooney

Daniel Sturridge

Danny Welbeck

Rickie Lambert

no big surprises.

lampard - why? he's finished. why not give another of the kids a go?

milner - why? he's a workhorse clogger.

jones - why? he's been of the shittest players in a shit man u side. fair enough picking players that play for big clubs, when they do well but man you have been awful. this season. ditto chris smalling ffs

no big surprises.

lampard - why? he's finished. why not give another of the kids a go?

milner - why? he's a workhorse clogger.

jones - why? he's been of the shittest players in a shit man u side. fair enough picking players that play for big clubs, when they do well but man you have been awful. this season. ditto chris smalling ffs

Who would you have in ahead of Lampard and Milner?

i know he's hardly one for the future but i'd have taken carrick over lampard. at least he tries to keep the ball. ball retention is so important at international level and lampard is just like gerrard in that respect - gives it away far too cheaply, far too often. plus how many goes does he deserve? he's also proved time and time again that he can't play alongside gerrard.

i'd have given stones ago ahead of jones or smalling.

milner is more difficult to leave out. ideally townsend or wallcott would have been there ahead of him but obviously that's not happening because of injuries. you arguably could have taken an extra striker instead. it always used to be 5 strikers in a squad instead of 4, but i'm guessing hodgson fancies playing one up front.

actually i would have taken flanagan ahead of jones and stones ahead of smalling. two very average players that haven't had great seasons getting in on the back of the fact they play for man u, despite the fact the fact man u have been pony this season. whereas the two kids from liverpool and everton have both had quality seasons, from what i've seen.

Milner has turned in some cracking performances for City. Pellegrini doesnt put him in the side because of some quota system.

meh. he's a workhorse for me like. but hodgson loves that sort of player

Paul Merson was saying yesterday Barkley in the hole and Rooney in midfield as he reckons Barkley is better than Rooney in that position.

That's all very well but ignores the fact that we will come up against teams who will pass it better than us and hit us on the break. The problem with those midfield options is there no one who naturally sits deeper who can be relied upon defensively. Gerrard is playing a deep role for Liverpool but there defensive frailty starts with his lack of pace and propensity to end up on his arse.

Lallana, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling and Barkley should all be given the chance but for them to be effective we need some midfield solidity.

That's also one of the worst back lines we have taken to a major tournament in a long time.

meh. he's a workhorse for me like. but hodgson loves that sort of player

I think he's technically sound, tactically savy... genuinely underrated

I think he's technically sound, tactically savy... genuinely underrated

i always thought he was over-rated myself. pretty slow. he's got a trick or two but lacks the pace to beat the best fullbacks. he works hard and he can play in different positions so i can see why hodgson likes him.

he looks better suited to playing through the middle to me, or just off the striker, but no manager ever seems to fancy him there.

Paul Merson was saying yesterday Barkley in the hole and Rooney in midfield as he reckons Barkley is better than Rooney in that position.

That's all very well but ignores the fact that we will come up against teams who will pass it better than us and hit us on the break. The problem with those midfield options is there no one who naturally sits deeper who can be relied upon defensively. Gerrard is playing a deep role for Liverpool but there defensive frailty starts with his lack of pace and propensity to end up on his arse.

Lallana, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling and Barkley should all be given the chance but for them to be effective we need some midfield solidity.

That's also one of the worst back lines we have taken to a major tournament in a long time.

it's a long way from ince and batty in midfield with adams and campbell behind them.

Same, very under rated player. I can understand Smalling and Jones inclusion, they'll probably be the first choice pairing come Euro 2016 so giving them a bit of experience this tournament will only be good.

smalling? he's always looked gash to me.

carroll's only scored twice all season though. lambert's got a few goals over two seasons now and he did well when he got the chance for england. the only way i'd have taken both would have been at the expense of milner or lampard.

agree with chez that the lack of a natural ball winning midfielder looks the weakest area of the squad - that and the defence, which is probably the weakest in living memory.

carroll's only scored twice all season though. lambert's got a few goals over two seasons now and he did well when he got the chance for england. the only way i'd have taken both would have been at the expense of milner or lampard.

agree with chez that the lack of a natural ball winning midfielder looks the weakest area of the squad - that and the defence, which is probably the weakest in living memory.

I don't think I'd take Welbeck. There's something very English about having a big cunt to stick on if it's not working. Plus I just like him :D

I'm really not happy with his preference for selecting players with possible potential over experienced internationals plus other currently better players. Shaw over Cole is the elephant in the squad, but I don't see why Stones or Flanagan make the reserve list. The later was schooled by Debuchy and Sissoko on the last day and made a hasty retreat to the bench at half time. You pick your strongest players and go to win. You do not select a bunch of youngsters and go to provide them with experience.

Otherwise, it seems like a stronger 23 compared to the guys who failed in South Africa 4 years ago.

Edited by beatty