Edinburgh Help...

ADP

I'm moving to Edinburgh in September/October with my girlfriend and could do with a bit of help regarding decent areas of the city to live in. I know that this is a big long shot, but can anyone who lives there currently or has lived there in the past be able to shout me which places are decent and which areas to avoid?

Asked a friend from Newcastle who's lived in Edinburgh for a decade or so. I'll be lazy and just quote his text directly:

"Leith 100%. Awesome, fun and I don't live there! Or if more middleclass Stockbridge and Morningside."

Make of that what you will. :)

Not Craigmillar

or....

Niddrie (Drugs and skinheads)

Granton (Drugs and gas works)

Drylaw (Drugs and grafitti)

Pilton (Drugs and very bad mothers http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/mikaeel-kular-vigil-held-edinburgh-3511207)

Stenhouse/Saughton (Prison)

Broomhouse (my cousin lives there and Souness's alma mater-avoid)

Sighthill/Parkhead (teenage gangs)

Bingham (for those too rough for Trainspotting era Leith)

Seafield (docks & crematormium)

The Calders (Wester Hailes lite, home tower blocks of my brothers wife)

:D

Move to Stirling and get the train in.

I'm commuting to St. Andrews to do my doctorate twice a week. We aren't moving to St. Andrews because it is astronomically priced and there seems very little there. Sterling is lush but don't think it'd be a good idea to give me more time on a train in mornings when I do need to go in.

PL - We are looking to rent. Thanks very much for the heads up about where to avoid, and everyone else's advice too!

I'm commuting to St. Andrews to do my doctorate twice a week. We aren't moving to St. Andrews because it is astronomically priced and there seems very little there. Sterling is lush but don't think it'd be a good idea to give me more time on a train in mornings when I do need to go in.

PL - We are looking to rent. Thanks very much for the heads up about where to avoid, and everyone else's advice too!

St Andrews is lovely but an arse ache to commute to for a student as the train station is 6 miles out of town.

Aye. Like I said though, I'll only be going in twice a week and working in Edinburgh other days of the week. Also, partner finishes her thesis this winter and Edinburgh will have more jobs than St. Andrews, which although it is lovely, is basically a large hamlet. Buses come once every 10 minutes from Leuchars to St. Andrews centre so that's cush.

The prices there have dictated our decision to go to Edinburgh though. Flats for £1,500 per week in the town centre man :lol:

Aye. Like I said though, I'll only be going in twice a week and working in Edinburgh other days of the week. Also, partner finishes her thesis this winter and Edinburgh will have more jobs than St. Andrews, which although it is lovely, is basically a large hamlet. Buses come once every 10 minutes from Leuchars to St. Andrews centre so that's cush.

The prices there have dictated our decision to go to Edinburgh though. Flats for £1,500 per week in the town centre man :lol:

That's cos all of the rich gits going to Uni there.

And the tourists going to play golf etc...

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

Aye, green belt as well means lack of new housing, while the uni admits more and more students each year. Consequently rent is massive.

One agent told me when he was showing us around a house the other week that the contract was only 10 months long as the landlord rents it out the years that the golf is on to tourists. I asked him how much he gets for a week's rental, bloke replied 'about 10 to 12 grand'. For a week! It was a dive anyway!

Imagine loving golf that much...

Look in Corstorphine.

Good call Kev, anywhere near South Gyle Station is ok-ish, as long as you dont stray too close to Sighthill/Parkhead/Broomhouse as metioned. I'd recommnend Slateford too, which is near Gorgie where Hearts play and the fabulous Caledonian Brewery, which also has a station but looks a bit trickier to get to St Andrews.

Edited by PaddockLad

Aye, green belt as well means lack of new housing, while the uni admits more and more students each year. Consequently rent is massive.

One agent told me when he was showing us around a house the other week that the contract was only 10 months long as the landlord rents it out the years that the golf is on to tourists. I asked him how much he gets for a week's rental, bloke replied 'about 10 to 12 grand'. For a week! It was a dive anyway!

Imagine loving golf that much...

That's where I studied and it was nowhere near that expensive. Mind you, I left just before Prince William arrived so I imagine that has bumped up the price of everything.

I loved it there but there isn't much to do apart from boozing and golf.

• 1 year later...

You still off the drink or did that go the way of the boycott? Love Edinburgh like, was up there again a couple of months back and every time I keep thinking I could live there (but then it feels like about half the population is English, so that fits). Went to a pub whose menu highlight was a jumbo hot dog topped with haggis. What's not to like? :D

Lived there for 5 years and go back about twice a year, love it there but Glasgow is more interesting imo.

You have had some good advice already tbh, I lived behind the st James shopping centre in new town, morningside and marchmont but that was proper studenty and I don't know if that is your bag. Morningside is nice and quiet and the new town area in general was quite expensive.

Turning out there on Monday, just for the night. A birthday surprise for me 10 days later.

Try to avoid the use of terms like "sweaties"and "porridge wogs" and you'll be sound.

You might also find THIS site handy after the 10 or 12th pint down the Grassmarket.

(Most branches of Boots sell baby wipes for the inevitable trouser-soiling aftermath).

;)

Lived there for 5 years and go back about twice a year, love it there but Glasgow is more interesting imo.

You have had some good advice already tbh, I lived behind the st James shopping centre in new town, morningside and marchmont but that was proper studenty and I don't know if that is your bag. Morningside is nice and quiet and the new town area in general was quite expensive.

He moved there over a year ago, I'm guessing he's found his bearings. ;)

• 1 year later...
On 09/12/2015 at 5:35 PM, Meenzer said:

Love Edinburgh like, was up there again a couple of months back and every time I keep thinking I could live there (but then it feels like about half the population is English, so that fits). Went to a pub whose menu highlight was a jumbo hot dog topped with haggis. What's not to like? :D

Said place is still there. My kind of three-way sausagefest:

23592102_362635560828665_565646052964552

Highlight of last weekend's trip was this place though. A wings menu as long as your arm and each table themed around some kind of sci-fi nerdery.

If the Scotch eventually go ahead with #indyref2 and get to stay in/rejoin the EU while rUK descends into post-Brexit misery, I think Hamburg may have been officially usurped as my future destination of choice. :D