What can we actually do?

The Fish

The thing that bothers me is they spend £25/30 million in the window and everything will be forgotten. Dont forget even spending that only accounts for a weeks worth of Ashley's earnings.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that the increase in the TV money would offset the drop in match revenue if people stopped going doesn't mean that people shouldn't stop going. He thinks he's banked the increase in TV money, cos he's sure everyone is gonna turn up next year. It's up to the fans to disappoint him by not renewing. By buying a ticket you've given him everything he could ask for from you, and anything you do beyond that point is an irrelevance.

A walkout makes sense at the end of a season when you've paid for your ticket and you've had enough. Buying a new ticket in order to walk out again is borderline retarded. You've given him your money, he couldn't give a fuck.

It is genuinely mind-blowing that there are people still giving this bloke their money. He's told you his plans for this club, made it perfectly clear that you are irrelevant other than as an income stream and yet you continue to enter into this contract. Unbelievable.

Walkout was great by people who had already gave him money, giving him more money you didn't have to just to walk out again is daft, he won't care as again you've shelled out and he got the cash.

Anyone renewing or not canceling to continue to go next season whether it's to walk out or not is insane

Sorry aye , what Ant said.

Well if Ashley kicks in a weeks earnings that's his privelege - he put the cash up to buy the club

If you owned the Club how much of your money would you put in? All of it? 10%?? 5%????

Why would anyone just pour all their cash into a football club FFS?

The club makes enough now that it can afford to buy a few players now and again, he shouldn't have to put in his own money but should at least let the club spend at least some of what it's generating. How much profit have we made in the past 18 month? including the sale of Cabaye? put it all together and we should be able to afford a decent amount of players, especially considering a lot of the contracts players are on have already been fully paid for by previous player sales (like a good amount of the Carroll money going on new deals for Krul, Tiote etc).

I'm not saying he should put all his money in it's just an example of the money he's made in the last 12 months. He's fucking rolling in it and could invest a bit of it in the football side of the club instead of using the club as a free advertising platform.

He's worth what? 3.6bn? that's 3,600,000,000 :lol: he may as fucking well chuck in some money man, what an utter boring bastard he is man. 5% is about 180m, imagine if he invested that over 4 year, we'd be far better to watch and attractive to buyers, not saying we'd be a CL team or owt but at least we'd be entertaining ffs. He'd easily make more than that over the next 4 years between his other assets and interest anyway. Not saying he should/will do it, it's his money, but what a fucking boring nob.

Well if Ashley kicks in a weeks earnings that's his privelege - he put the cash up to buy the club

If you owned the Club how much of your money would you put in? All of it? 10%?? 5%????

Why would anyone just pour all their cash into a football club FFS?

Jesus Christ...

We've probably established that money is the only thing that'll do it, I would guess. We as fans can't raise the money to buy out Ashley, but we can raise some of it.

If season ticket holders, and regular matchday goers were to avoid spending their money on the club, and stayed away, instead putting the money into some kind of legally protected fund, we could over time start amassing money which could be used to assist any potential buyers in the taking over of the club. In turn, fans could have a say in the running of the club as we would end up with a stake in it. The fund could be invested in by local businesses on the back of promises to allow them set periods of exposure once the club's ownership has been changed.

Say we got to a point where even £50m can been put to one side through either local business pledges or fan investment - that's £50m off the sale price for any prospective buyer. Sure, they have to surrender ownership of a part of the club to the fans - but really, this could be set up in such a way that it worked for everyone, with legal control belonging to the main party of buyers, but with special considerations made for fan viewpoints; considerations which were contractually protected.

Is this likely to happen? Of course not. Would it even work? Who knows. I dare say someone will think of a reason why it wouldn't.

But it's all I can think of.

EDIT - how long this would take would depend on uptake amongst fans and local business alike. Maybe 5 seasons if we were lucky and attracted enough media attention.

Edited by Rayvin

If we're serious there has to be some way of legally financially attacking Mike Ashley's business, it really is the only way we're likely to rid ourselves of him. One thing to note though will be that he's not likely to go without extending some sort of scorched earth policy, be it financially towards the club or reputationally. That said though, I'd rather we were fighting our way back from League Two and have a club we could support and actually have some faith that they want to try and win something than the empty shell it is now.

there is a recent rich list somewhere online and ashley is near the bottom but there is a guy at the top in the uk worth over 11 billion would be nice if he took over ashley.

When you start talking about him putting his own money in, then you lose the argument a bit imo, (because why should he) . I don't think there should be a requirement on him to put his own money in, he just needs to have genuine arms length commercial deals with his other business, and spend some of the money generated by the club on players.

When you start talking about him putting his own money in, then you lose the argument a bit imo, (because why should he) . I don't think there should be a requirement on him to put his own money in, he just needs to have genuine arms length commercial deals with his other business, and spend some of the money generated by the club on players.

Aye, I wasn't suggesting he should just that it'd be no skin off his back if he did chuck a bit in for just a bit of fun if nowt else. The fact is the club easily generates enough to fund player purchases and a decent amount of ambition, I don't think any of us would moan if we were addressing areas of need (within reason) each transfer window using money the club generated itself (through profits and player sales), installed a competent manager who could work within those tighter financial constraints (like Moyes) and the team was allowed to compete in cups and the league.

If we actually sought out good sponsorship opportunities and didn't have so much free SD advertising, we could generate more income than Everton (I'm assuming we do already anyway) so there's no reason we couldn't work in the same way that Everton do, instead of fucking off the cup competition, actively trying to survive in the league with as few players as possible and having no ambition to chase European spots.

(I know you weren't suggesting the opposite of any of this btw Gemmill, this was just me going off on a tangent).

" I dare say someone will think of a reason why it wouldn't."

Mike fuckin' Ashley wouldn't allow anyone to buy any part of the club while he's making the vast amounts of money through free advertising. It would have to be an all or nothing buy out. Personally I think he keeps the never ending loan going to make the club have a false value that way it will deter any potential buyers for the club

" I dare say someone will think of a reason why it wouldn't."

Mike fuckin' Ashley wouldn't allow anyone to buy any part of the club while he's making the vast amounts of money through free advertising. It would have to be an all or nothing buy out. Personally I think he keeps the never ending loan going to make the club have a false value that way it will deter any potential buyers for the club

I didn't mean we'd gradually buy in - I meant that the money is pledged and only released once another buyer comes along who is prepared to make up the difference between MA's asking price and whatever the fan group manages to accumulate. Essentially, our hand would grow year on year (for a while, I'd imagine the pledged would expire if it took too long, and would need renegotiation). My suggestion was actually a means by which we could erode the false value that he has attached.

I'm not saying it's any more likely to happen though :lol: It would require a level of organisation beyond mere football fans. We'd need one of the supporters groups to take the initiative and for some real leadership to emerge. So far, from what I've seen, it looks like we're all pulling in different directions and squabbling. (See the 60 vs 69th min. walkout).