What can we actually do?

The Fish

So know these minutes have been issued and the club intentions are now known why would anyone pay good money to go to St James Park . If it's for the craic with your mates you may as well go the pub or for a meal use your £30 that way. It can't be for the football because tbh you'd see better at a sunday league match. All he wants is your money he's not interested in the clubs history, the fans, the football, nothing just keep handing over the money. If you want rid of him cut off the money supply.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think he'd care if we did, TS?

I think his attempts at trying to drink with the fans (both at the beginning and last year at Tottenham?), show he much rather be the happy football owner enjoying owning a club to "have some fun".

Realistically though that bridge has now probably been burned, bulldozed, used as a landfill for nuclear waste etc etc.

If a realistic offer came in I think he'd be off like a shot.

Didn't Keegan say something like "nice bloke just listens to the wrong people".

Alternatively we'll spend 60 mill in the summer, Shane will return, Pardew will guide us to Fifth again, (beating the mackems twice as we go), and this time we'll build on it.

This is Newcastle, the unexpected is usually just around the corner.

What's needed is an early Cabaye type signing to set the pace / tone for the summer.

Another point re this "he should be putting some of his own money in" thing. Nothing is gonna stop the cunt Pardew from reframing the current climate as "the fans think we should be challenging at the top of the league", and it winds everyone up because he's lying and he knows that he's fucking lying.

But when people talk about the owner being a billionaire, and wouldn't you think he'd throw some of his billions at it, you give credence to Pardew's bullshit and to the arseholes in the media who claim that Newcastle fans don't get it etc. It makes them sound right and the fans sound like unrealistic crybabies, when in actual fact what the fans really want is an entirely reasonable level of ambition backed by current revenue streams.

I don't think anyone's demanding he put his own money in, it's his money an he can do what he wants with it, but at the very least he should be reinvesting the funds the club generates.

But he is a multi billionaire. He's worth about half as much as abramovich. Look at the difference in how the two clubs have spent in recent years. He's basically the tightest billionaire owner of a football club I'm aware of.

If he had a proper love for the game he might give a shit about the club doing well. If that were the case he could easily help bankroll it. But I don't think he ever saw it as anything but a business proposition. And for that reason he's an idiot. Football clubs aren't normal businesses.

Alternatively we'll spend 60 mill in the summer, Shane will return, Pardew will guide us to Fifth again, (beating the mackems twice as we go), and this time we'll build on it.

This is Newcastle, the unexpected is usually just around the corner.

What's needed is an early Cabaye type signing to set the pace / tone for the summer.

Getting the lad who has been warming the bench in the lower leagues really would set the tone.

I think his attempts at trying to drink with the fans (both at the beginning and last year at Tottenham?), show he much rather be the happy football owner enjoying owning a club to "have some fun".

Realistically though that bridge has now probably been burned, bulldozed, used as a landfill for nuclear waste etc etc.

If a realistic offer came in I think he'd be off like a shot.

Didn't Keegan say something like "nice bloke just listens to the wrong people".

I agree about him wanting out but what Ashley considers a realistic offer is almost certainly unrealistic for most prospective buyers as he overpaid. And the tight cunt is going to want to make a profit on it before he sells. Edited by Dr Gloom

I don't think anyone's demanding he put his own money in, it's his money an he can do what he wants with it, but at the very least he should be reinvesting the funds the club generates.

But he is a multi billionaire. He's worth about half as much as abramovich. Look at the difference in how the two clubs have spent in recent years. He's basically the tightest billionaire owner of a football club I'm aware of.

If he had a proper love for the game he might give a shit about the club doing well. If that were the case he could easily help bankroll it. But I don't think he ever saw it as anything but a business proposition. And for that reason he's an idiot. Football clubs aren't normal businesses.

People have in this thread. You yourself questioned why he shouldn't be expected to, defined a "good owner" as one that gifts money to the club, and are now comparing his input to Abramovich's as if we could reasonably expect him to match it.

There's a massive difference between being a billionaire on an Abramovich scale and being one on the level that Ashley is btw, setting aside that a lot of Ashley's wealth has been accrued in the last couple of years so the comparison in expenditure isn't even appropriate. Ashley would have to sink a significant proportion of his net worth into the club at a close to zero return to make is competitive in the league.

All of this talk gives credence to the Pardew "the fans think we should be challenging at the top of the table" bullshit.

People have in this thread. You yourself questioned why he shouldn't be expected to, defined a "good owner" as one that gifts money to the club, and are now comparing his input to Abramovich's as if we could reasonably expect him to match it.

There's a massive difference between being a billionaire on an Abramovich scale and being one on the level that Ashley is btw, setting aside that a lot of Ashley's wealth has been accrued in the last couple of years so the comparison in expenditure isn't even appropriate. Ashley would have to sink a significant proportion of his net worth into the club at a close to zero return to make is competitive in the league.

All of this talk gives credence to the Pardew "the fans think we should be challenging at the top of the table" bullshit.

Not demanding or even expecting him to spend his own money. Let alone spend the sort of money abramovich does. But last time I checked Ashely was worth about 3 or 4bn, abramovich about 8 or 9bn.

Just making the point that if gave a shit, which he clearly doesn't, he might be inclined to put money in instead of taking money out.

Perhaps a few more years of the tv money will satisfy him and he'll sell up. Seems unlikely.

I think he's sell up tomorrow if the right offer came in. He doesn't give a shit about the club, he has no emotional attachment to it, it's just an investment.

Write to the FA showing them the clubs statement asking them to charge the club with bringing the game into disrepute.

What have they said to justify that charge? All they have said is that they are prioritising the PL. Of course we can all read between the lines but unless they put out a complete reserve side then the FA can't do anything. Look at Lambert's comments last year and Villa faced no action.

Write to your local MP telling them that NUFC are an integral part of our community and for them to draft a bill/ask a question in the house of parliament about businessmen riding roughshod over their local community.

What have they said to justify that charge? All they have said is that they are prioritising the PL. Of course we can all read between the lines but unless they put out a complete reserve side then the FA can't do anything. Look at Lambert's comments last year and Villa faced no action.

The FA can also read between the lines. They should be warned of the consequences of fielding reserve players as should all of the clubs.

Ring up Sky and cancel your sports subscription if you have one. When asked for a reason say you're a Newcastle United fan, Mike Ashley is making us un-competitive and you wont pay sky to pay our club/regime.

Write to your local MP telling them that NUFC are an integral part of our community and for them to draft a bill/ask a question in the house of parliament about businessmen riding roughshod over their local community.

Is that not what happened when he renamed SJP? It had absolutely no effect.

Write/phone/harangue journalists asking them if they're providing the readership with the appropriate coverage? Tell their editor you'll not buy their title and go elsewhere.

There's zero point in partaking in anything that isn't going to change anything. I'm not going to knock anyone who is trying these things but they would be futile efforts imo.

My original point about Ashley's wealth was to highlight how much he'd made in the last 12 months. Which is undoubtedly because the club is a free advertising machine for Sports Direct. Were a lot of clubs have the name of the club all over the ground signage seats etc. Anyone paying for ppv in the far east would be forgiven for thinking they were watching Sports Direct United.

There's zero point in partaking in anything that isn't going to change anything. I'm not going to knock anyone who is trying these things but they would be futile efforts imo.

Anything you would do then? And can you confirm the research you conducted to confirm all the actions mooted would have zero effect?

Anything you would do then? And can you confirm the research you conducted to confirm all the actions mooted would have zero effect?

I don't have the club research department at my disposal unfortunately.

It appears that there hasn't been any significant drop off on season ticket renewals so that option is obviously ruled out. We've already had MPs tabling motions in Parliament and that had no effect. We already have an openly hostile local media and that has had no effect. We've just had an admission from the club that they have no interest in winning anything and the furtherest that has gotten in the national media, as I predicted, was a Caulkin blog.

The only thing that will get us any attention IMO are sustained protests in the stadium similar to those seen at the Cardiff game and I have serious doubts over whether they will continue into the new season.