What can we actually do?

The Fish

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the club research department at my disposal unfortunately.

It appears that there hasn't been any significant drop off on season ticket renewals so that option is obviously ruled out. We've already had MPs tabling motions in Parliament and that had no effect. We already have an openly hostile local media and that has had no effect. We've just had an admission from the club that they have no interest in winning anything and the furtherest that has gotten in the national media, as I predicted, was a Caulkin blog.

The only thing that will get us any attention IMO are sustained protests in the stadium similar to those seen at the Cardiff game and I have serious doubts over whether they will continue into the new season.

Caulkin, Edwards and the Mail.

I agree a lot of the actions are futile, but I think it's getting more ink than you think.

(That was an oddly satisfying end to the post until ruined it with this superfluous note)

69th minute white hankies.

69th minute back turn.

69th minute pie and a pint.

69th minute applause for the 69 team.

69th minute moon.

69th minute paper aeroplane throw.

69th minute fight.

I don't have the club research department at my disposal unfortunately.

It appears that there hasn't been any significant drop off on season ticket renewals so that option is obviously ruled out. We've already had MPs tabling motions in Parliament and that had no effect. We already have an openly hostile local media and that has had no effect. We've just had an admission from the club that they have no interest in winning anything and the furtherest that has gotten in the national media, as I predicted, was a Caulkin blog.

The only thing that will get us any attention IMO are sustained protests in the stadium similar to those seen at the Cardiff game and I have serious doubts over whether they will continue into the new season.

All any of the mooted suggestions need is organisation. If we settled in a truly representative fan group, and all fans put their lot in with it, it would be much harder. We stand divided currently.

We should set up an independent group for supporters, a Newcastle United Supporter's Trust if you will, and then we should look to buy the club off Ashley (by way of a donations page).

We can worry about how to bankroll the club to Champions League qualification later.

I don't know what result people expect from any sort of protest, but if it's anything like Ashley selling or hoying in £50m obviously that is never going to happen.

I can't imagine the club would dare go another window like the previous 3 given the discontent though. To that extent I think what's been done already has been great and I wish that sort of action had been taken much sooner.

You think that any purchases this window will be because of the discontent rather than out of necessity?

I reckon the club could have tried to get away with an extension for shola and signing De Jong long term. But the discontent, cancelations and protest will lead to better quality than that coming in.

Problem will be if we spend £40m and the majority revert to "support the team, not the regime" which seemed to consist of sitting on hands and doing fuck all.

Whatever signings come in, i'dlike to see the pressure on Pardew and Ashley continue. Once the media are reporting on widespread anger there's little else fans can or need to do, other than keep voicing it.

I think we were on course to spend £30m+ this window anyway and said so in the prediction thread, I don't think that the Cardiff game will change that.

I agree though that I'd like to see the protests at the match continue into next season but no doubt come mid-August all will have been forgotten.

I've had a season ticket since October 1991. On Thursday I rang the club and told them that was the finish, and it is. I'm no longer a season ticket holder aft1er 20 odd years, and I won't be back at St James' till Ashley is gone. Even if by some miracle we fluke a 6th place finish, there's no way on earth I'm going back til fatty is either dead or gone.

Edited by McFaul

It's a crying shame you feel you've had to do that Stevie, but good on you.

I last went to the Liverpool game straight after they'd sacked Hughton, and that was only because a lad I know had come up from Lonfon and bought the tickets.

( Plastic Scouser too, we had his fucking life in the Gallowgate as the daft bastard had a top on :) )

Tis unfortunate. Might take a few years to sink in, it would seem. Maybe people will follow regardless. Seems that way. Does say a lot about them tbf. Or other past times may become relevant and demand money be thrown at them for people to follow.

I reckon the club could have tried to get away with an extension for shola and signing De Jong long term. But the discontent, cancelations and protest will lead to better quality than that coming in.

Problem will be if we spend £40m and the majority revert to "support the team, not the regime" which seemed to consist of sitting on hands and doing fuck all.

Whatever signings come in, i'dlike to see the pressure on Pardew and Ashley continue. Once the media are reporting on widespread anger there's little else fans can or need to do, other than keep voicing it.

I think we should wait to see who replaces De Jong/Shola before we jump to any conclusions. Neither Shola and De Jong will have been value for money in terms of wages. Not keeping them could easily mean replacing them with cheaper squad players of equal or lesser quality. Or indeed not replacing them at all.

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

It's a crying shame you feel you've had to do that Stevie, but good on you.

I last went to the Liverpool game straight after they'd sacked Hughton, and that was only because a lad I know had come up from Lonfon and bought the tickets.

( Plastic Scouser too, we had his fucking life in the Gallowgate as the daft bastard had a top on :) )

I mind you saying that a while ago. The bit that really irritates me is dickheads around the country coming out with the laughable "I can't see what Ashley has done wrong." We haven't actually signed a player for 18 fuckin month. I don't have much hate in me, but I actually HATE people who support Ashley, they are nothing but alternative view wanks, with a poor sex life and little personality trying to appear that little bit different.

I mind you saying that a while ago. The bit that really irritates me is dickheads around the country coming out with the laughable "I can't see what Ashley has done wrong." We haven't actually signed a player for 18 fuckin month. I don't have much hate in me, but I actually HATE people who support Ashley, they are nothing but alternative view wanks, with a poor sex life and little personality trying to appear that little bit different.

they've probably all got small willies and man boobs too tbf. i suspect all ashley supporters are cursed with some kind of physical flaw, or gross personality defect. either that or they were abused as children. i'm struggling to think whey else anyone could adopt such a rank and contrary position.