• 4 weeks later...
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-vs-man-city-pardew-4063311

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is so desperate to beat his Manchester City jinx that he’s looking to a Sunderland old boy to act as a lucky charm.

Jack Colback made a controversial move to St James’ this summer when he quit the Black Cats as a free agent.
The Toon-supporting midfielder figured in three of Sunderland’s four successive 1-0 home wins against City.
And Pardew is hoping the 24-year-old Colback can work some magic for the Magpies against the champions tomorrow.
City are Newcastle’s first-day opponents for the second season running – 12 months ago, Manuel Pellegrini’s men won 4-0 at the Etihad.
Pardew has also lost all eight games against City, who have won their last 10 against Toon in all competitions.
But Pardew, reminded of Colback’s winning run with Sunderland over City, quipped: “Thank god for that – it’s why I signed him!
“One of our best displays last season was against City, and we were beaten. They’re the type of team who, even if you’re at your very best against them, will still beat you.
“But I do think we’re really well set for this game. Hopefully we can get some kind of result against them because our record isn’t great. With Jack in the side, obviously anything can happen!”

What a fucking clem.

I thought Jack had a very good game.He never gave Toure a chance to impose himself on the game.He rarely gave the ball away and his link up play was decent.Now we know why the crosseyed gimp and every makem wanted him to stay.I wouldn't say he is England material,unlike the makems two seasons ago.You could see the relief on his face when he ran onto the pitch knowing his days of stinking of makem piss were over.

Edited by essembeeofsunderland

And the IQ of people who continue to comment on it ?

Aye.A good engine and someone who will hopefully give us balance,with Dummat,down the left.

1275389857_naked-gun-facepalm.gif

He actually seems like a player who can use the ball pretty well. Not in the Cabaye league of picking out through balls but just playing simple passes in a positive way that moves us up the pitch.

If he keeps up this level of performance I'll be more than happy. But as with the others he has to show that he can do it on a cold Tuesday night in Burnley as well as on his debut against the champions.

How do you reckon Colback fits in Pardew's plans? Obviously Tiote will be 1st choice in the centre, but if Colback consistently plays like that, does he get ahead of Anita? Sissoko?

I like Anita, but yeah, he doesn't do enough that can't be done by Colback. He's technically very good and he's useful, but if Colback continues in this vein he can do the job beside Tiote that Anita is currently 1st choice for.

I had moments last season where I completely lost faith in Anita and I was probably being harsh as we were clearly a complete mess after Cabaye left and we also never really worked out how to use him.

I thought he looked quite decent again on Sunday though and wouldn't be worried seeing him alongside Colback again. But I think Tiote is a big player for us so I he will be replacing Anita.

I wouldn't mind seeing that as midfield three against teams who're likely to enjoy the majority of the possession against us.

Colback Tiote Anita

That's a really solid grafting centre which will be very difficult to break down, imo.

I had moments last season where I completely lost faith in Anita and I was probably being harsh as we were clearly a complete mess after Cabaye left and we also never really worked out how to use him.

I thought he looked quite decent again on Sunday though and wouldn't be worried seeing him alongside Colback again. But I think Tiote is a big player for us so I he will be replacing Anita.

Agreed - I felt many times last season he was asked to play the Cabaye role alongside Tiote, which he's clearly not cut out for.