I assumed that mackem was just off his tits and being a bit wacky.

Reminds me of the sort of antics the wearsiders I used to knock about with would get up to at 8.30 on a Sunday morning after a particularly heavy session. Daft lads just being daft.

• 4 weeks later...

Newcastle fans
3794670566.jpg

PLEDGE ... Jack Colback.

JACK Colback has vowed to win over the doubters – and prove he IS good enough for Newcastle United.

Colback made a switch from rivals Sunderland last month.

The midfielder’s move proved a controversial one on both sides of the Tyne-Wear divide.

Killingworth-born Colback, a boyhood Newcastle fan, yesterday trained with his new team-mates on Tynemouth Longsands. The 24-year-old, conscious of the competition he will face at St James’s Park, is determined to hit the ground running and start repaying the club’s faith in him.

“I think I’ve got a lot to improve on as a player,” Colback told the Gazette.

“I can show the Newcastle fans that I’m good enough to be here.

“Hopefully, I’ll have a good season and good career as a Newcastle player.”

Colback, signed as a free agent, has been getting to know his United colleagues over the past few days.

And he is looking forward to pulling on a black and white shirt for the first time as a United player, having grown up wearing the famous jersey.

Colback could make his debut in the July 15 friendly against Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park.

“I’ll be buzzing to get playing again,” said Colback, pictured,

“When you have so long out not playing, you crave it a bit, so it’ll be good.

“I can’t wait to get back into it. There are some world-class players here.”

Colback had two loan spells at Ipswich Town earlier in his career.

And he is confident he can quickly adjust to life at St James’s Park.

“I’ve only done it once before where I went into a new group of players – that was when I went to Ipswich on loan a long time ago – so meeting a new group is a new experience,” said Colback.

“I’ll be playing under a different manager. I can’t wait to get into it.”

I'm not going to engage in a bout of ''I say this players better'' and then you say he's not because it's ultimately pointless but err...yeah..Colback's the best. :up:

Good man. Glad you didn't try and bring up Hatem Ben kebab. Until we finalise things I stand by that comment. He is the best midfielder at the club.

He's a decent player & I imagine he'll be reasonable successful - although I wouldn't say he's our best player in midfield. As stated before the frankly hilarious reaction from Sunderland won him a lot of friends on tyneside.

He's a decent player & I imagine he'll be reasonable successful - although I wouldn't say he's our best player in midfield. As stated before the frankly hilarious reaction from Sunderland won him a lot of friends on tyneside.

Good man. Without acknowledging that he's the best we have in midfield you hope for the best for him until he proves himself.

There were times during Cabaye's first season, where when Guthrie was playing with him/in his place, he looked the better player. On his day, he was a lovely footballer to watch. Struggled to play for more than 65/70 minutes, mind.

By the by, like. Don't think Colback is a remotely similar player, though he holds a similar profile.

There were times during Cabaye's first season, where when Guthrie was playing with him/in his place, he looked the better player. On his day, he was a lovely footballer to watch. Struggled to play for more than 65/70 minutes, mind.

By the by, like. Don't think Colback is a remotely similar player, though he holds a similar profile.

Guthrie did have some very good games, and was capable of some great strikes. Lacked pace and often conditioning as well. I thought he would do better than he has at Reading, but then I've not really followed his progress there closely. Had off field problems first season there seems to have played more last year. I'm looking forward to see what Colback can offer. I'm hoping he's somewhat similar to Barton minus the douche baggery (both on.and.off the field).