Nicky Butt

the nicky butt song to the tune of give it up we nicked off the mancs was a true great. not sure you could say the same of the player in his time for us....

Edited by Dr Gloom

Jack Colback is an excellent addition for Newcastle United and will find it easier than people say to pull on a black and white shirt

I was not short on options during the summer I decided to sign for Sunderland.

Alan Curbishley wanted me at Charlton and Bryan Robson was trying to take me to Middlesbrough as well.

I went to Gordon Strachan’s house in Stratford and he had a unique way of selling Coventry City to me – he told me we’d be in a relegation battle!

However, Gordon had the right idea – he was honest and straightforward and he very nearly persuaded me to sign for Coventry by telling me with two good seasons under my belt he would help me play for a club at the very top of the European game. He’d done the same to Robbie Keane, so it was a convincing sell.

I wanted to go to Sunderland, though.

The contract offer was not as good as the other clubs, but I liked Peter Reid and his coaching staff – it was a club that was built on the right foundations and I just had a feeling they were going places.

The last thing that came into my mind was the rivalry between Sunderland and the club I had been fanatical about when I was growing up – Newcastle United.

I'd spent my own money to watch Newcastle from the terraces when I was training as a forklift truck driver, but football is a business.

As soon as you become a professional you have to adopt a hard-headed attitude and the rivalries and the things you care about when you’re growing up have to be put to one side.

That is football and I’m surprised more players haven’t moved between Newcastle and Sunderland in the last few years.

It’s a fierce, horrible rivalry at times but you underestimate how much focus footballers have when it comes to something like this.

You rise above it, and for Jack Colback he was a Newcastle fan so he will find it easier. He’s one of them rather than someone coming the other way like I was.

We’re a selfish breed really and you have to look out for yourself. When a move is on the table which makes financial sense and brings you on as a footballer you take it and that is what Colback has probably had to do here.

People will mention the Twitter picture of him holding up three fingers after the 3-0. So what? It was a bit of light-hearted mickey-taking. You’re entitled to enjoy winning a game and it shows he cares. Sunderland supporters are going to be annoyed at Colback for moving to Newcastle, but they really need to be annoyed with the directors who have allowed him to leave on a free.

Footballers like Colback need to be treated properly and they had more than a year to get him tied down to a new contract which reflected the fact he was a first-team player and they didn’t do that.

Now he’s walking away for nothing and that will hit Gus Poyet in the pocket. How much would Jack Colback fetch in the open market?

A young, English midfielder who can play in a number of positions is a good asset and Sunderland might have raised £4m or so for him.

That would have gone straight into Gus Poyet’s transfer pot but now he’s walked away for free and Newcastle have picked up a very good player.

You can put a brave face on it as a Sunderland supporter but that is not a good situation – serious questions should be asked, if they haven’t already.

If I was a Sunderland fan I’d want to know why that had happened. Roberto De Fanti was the director of football when the contract offer went in and I think that first contract offer seriously under-valued Colback as a player. That is the sort of thing whch just ruins your relationship with a club.

I had to make a similar call at the end of my Everton career, but in truth it was an easy decision.

I knew a few people would pick up on my allegiances and where I was from and I knew all about the rivalry between the two teams.

Everyone told me it would be difficult for me going back to Newcastle, but I had already made a few controversial moves by then, picking Scotland despite being born in England and playing for both Everton and Liverpool.

As a footballer, it shows a bit of the kind of bravery you need when you’re prepared to swap one rival for another when you know you’re going to get a hard time for it.

I see Colback doing it for Newcastle, and whatever the supporters think, they should be impressed by his determination to play for the club. It takes a bit of bottle to make the decision he’s made.

I was warned at the time I would never be able to set foot in Newcastle again, but that was never the case to be honest.

Most people were relatively good about it and I still went shopping and spent time in town.

We even went out a few times in Newcastle as a group of Sunderland players.

We had minders but we would go out in Newcastle if we wanted to.

I went out when my son was born and we went out for birthdays and the odd time to celebrate.

We’d sit ourselves in the corner so we could keep an eye on what was going on.

You got the odd person who would try and have a go at you, but generally, if you handled it right, you didn’t need to worry about it.

Taking all emotion out of it, Colback is a solid signing by Newcastle. It is not going to push them into the top six on its own, but I like Colback and always have. There is something about him that wouldn’t look out of place in a good Premier League team and I think he adds to Newcastle’s squad.

He’s not spectacular and perhaps not the most talented player available on the market this summer, but he’s comfortable in possession and he can pick a pass.

I would categorise him as a 7/10 in everything he does and he rarely dips below that. Newcastle need more of those kind of players.

There can be a lot of snobbery about players like Colback these days – good, hard-working midfielders who cover a lot of ground but can put their foot on the ball.

Maybe they’ve gone out of fashion, but look at the good teams in the Premier League and they’ve lots of those type of players.

Jordan Henderson does the job brilliantly at Liverpool. My Sunderland team was full of hard workers. Michael Gray, Chris Makin, Jody Craddock, Emerson Thome, Gavin McCann, Kevin Phillips, Niall Quinn – it was a team which worked hard week-in, week-out.

Newcastle needed more of that because there were games last season when players seemed to down tools. You won’t get that from Colback.

From the Mirror

Midfielder's free-agent switch from Magpies' arch-rivals understood to have been delayed by weeks as he attempted U-turn to join Hammers

Newcastle were locked in an extraordinary row with Jack Colback’s representatives before his £50,000-a-week move to St James’ Park.
Mirror Sport understands confirmation of the 24-year-old’s free-agent defection from arch-rivals Sunderland was held up for over two weeks - because he staged a u-turn and asked to be allowed to go to West Ham instead.
The Magpies and Hammers had been in a straight fight for Colback’s services when it became clear that he was ready to quit the Stadium of Light.
It appeared the battle had been won when Colback initially chose a move to his native Tyneside.
It is understood, however, that the Toon were left stunned after being told the player had had an overnight change of heart - possibly sparked by concerns over the reaction on Wearside - and now wanted to move to the Upton Park club.
A remarkable week of wrangling then ensued in which Colback’s representatives allegedly tried to backtrack - only to be told by Newcastle that they had already reached agreement and the club were not willing to go back on it.
At one stage, they did offer to actually SELL Colback to West Ham for £5million.
It was when the Hammers declined the audacious move that the player’s move to Newcastle was confirmed.

I take papertalk with a huge pinch of salt but that last bit seems something like I'd imagine us trying to do if we thought West Ham might bite. :lol:

Jesus fuck a duck.

He'll never live down those black and white stripes, outed himsel there.

He definitely got a guilty semi on when he painted on the black & white stripes, mind.

The amazing thing about it is all the opportunities he had to dismiss the idea as fucking thick.

As soon as it popped into his head, as he came up with the lyrics, as he set up the camera, as he put the paint on, while donning the wig, as he actually heard himself singing the song, or spinning to face the camera, as he waited for the video to transfer to his PC, when he actually watched the horror show he had produced, edited it down and then as he waited for it to upload to Youtube.

At no point in that laborious process did he have any moment of clarity and perceive what a knacker he was being.

It's a metaphor for the life of every Sunderland supporter really. How they spend their life going to that place and embarrass themselves.

mackems.jpg

None of these look at themselves and think, "what am a deein?"

That's a level of backwards that I never thought I would see from anyone (even one of those tramps). Like HF says, he had so many opportunties to stop before that got onto the net and yet he still thought it was a good idea. I bet he's so proud of himself for it too!

That's so cringeworthy it almost hurts to watch. Honestly it's no wonder they seize on things like the horse puncher and talk about it year after year, their lot upload a never ending amount of stuff like that video of their own free will so we have an unlimited mound of ammunition.

:lol: That bloke sat and did that, it's actually staggering that he did. is it meant to be insulting to Colback? Or is it merely informing him that that particular moron is no longer his friend?

Is that the same bloke that had the board in his room? And went on about Cabaye before the last derby?
I don't look but is there a similar amount of muppets from Newcastle doing this too? Or at least other clubs? I don't count lads like TrueGeordie, as annoying as he is he's giving his opinion rather than putting up things that no one should ever see.

Edit:
I also love that his youtube user name is "Themadmistake" and aye it is the same bloke with the board. Here is an equally bizzare video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwZc1fyNNWg

And aye he is in a bath with all his gear on, is somehow married and someone else is filming.

Edited by Howay

The fact they seem so bitter about him leaving suggests he's a better player than I thought

Or just that some of them are incredibly bitter?

Well yes, that too. But if he was as average as I previously thought would they be quote so arsed.

All hail the new cabaye. Cos we're getting anyone better