Books aboot footbaal

Figured we could use this as a catch-all thread. If there's already one, then soz. Just got the 2014 edition of Soccernomics on the Kindle for some reading in between World Cup games. Anyone got recommendations for books on some foreign football? I quite fancy reading something about AC Milan.

Forza Italia: The Fall and Rise of Italian Football by Paddy Agnew covers a lot of A.C Milan. There's also a decent amount in Inverting the Pyramid about Saachi, Capello & Ancelotti from a tactical perspective. If I recall correctly there's I think Milan are covered in Brilliant Orange by David Winner - though it's been a few years since I've read it some maybe @@Tooj can help with that one! Although not about Milan my next book is A Season with Verona by Tim Parks which is supposed to be well worth a read.

Most of these can be found on ebay for under £5.

Obviously they're good books in their own right too!

• 6 years later...
On 22/06/2014 at 22:26, Kid Dynamite said:

The far corner by Harry Pearson

His follow up book has come out this week

His Mrs left him for his mate after 25 years together, he’s unemployed and a single Dad to a teenage Daughter, so he decided to go back to watching non-league games and wrote another book about it

His first book is the best best football book ever written if no-ones read it yet 

9 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

His follow up book has come out this week

His Mrs left him for his mate after 25 years together, he’s unemployed and a single Dad to a teenage Daughter, so he decided to go back to watching non-league games and wrote another book about it

His first book is the best best football book ever written if no-ones read it yet 

Cheers for the tip, I’ve just ordered it.

The Far Corner was brilliant, his descriptions of the fans, that turn up to these non league games, were hilarious. I’ve bought that book for so many people.

I keep meaning to get his cricket and cycling books as those are also meant to be really good.

I’ll also recommend The Far Corner. Funny as fuck. His line about people bragging about massive attendances when their team is shite being akin to bragging about going to the same restaurant every week when you admit the food is shit seems apt for some threads on here atm. Not pointing fingers

• Haha 1

I have a large collection of books about football. 

Mi favourite book is 'A life to short'. the bio of the goalkeeper Robert Enke.

I recomend you 'The boy on the shed', is the bio of the Newcastle Ex Player Paul Ferris. A very good book about a young talent whom the injuries destroyed (in the same line... 'Forever young', the history of Adrian Doherty).

'El Milagro de Castel di Sangro' is amazing. An amateur team that get promoted every year until the second Division in Italy. But I am not sure if the book is in English.

I have, but I don't read yet, 'Running with the firm', about a journalist with a double life living between Hooligans.

Joey Barton bio and Gary Speed Bio are very decent reads too. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alex said:

Slipless in Settle is his cricket one iirc :D 

Didn’t realise he’d written a cricket book. Just bought it. I’ve read his book about country fairs which doesn’t quite hit the heights of the far corner

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Didn’t realise he’d written a cricket book. Just bought it. I’ve read his book about country fairs which doesn’t quite hit the heights of the far corner

Had a look following your recommendation as I loved The Far Corner and he’s wrote two award winning cricket books but Slipless in Settle was the only one I previously knew about 

• Like 1

The Far Corner is class mind :lol: 

Its constantly funny, but informative. I’ll definitely be getting the sequel & ive been meaning to read his cricket books for a while. 

On 23/08/2020 at 14:22, Diego21 said:

I have a large collection of books about football. 

Mi favourite book is 'A life to short'. the bio of the goalkeeper Robert Enke.

I recomend you 'The boy on the shed', is the bio of the Newcastle Ex Player Paul Ferris. A very good book about a young talent whom the injuries destroyed (in the same line... 'Forever young', the history of Adrian Doherty).

'El Milagro de Castel di Sangro' is amazing. An amateur team that get promoted every year until the second Division in Italy. But I am not sure if the book is in English.

I have, but I don't read yet, 'Running with the firm', about a journalist with a double life living between Hooligans.

Joey Barton bio and Gary Speed Bio are very decent reads too. 

That Robert Enke book is good, albeit tragic. Unsurprisingly Van Gaal comes across as an arrogant wanker. The Miracle of Castel di Sangro was first published in English 

• 1 month later...