Florida suggestions please

catmag

So yes I'm going and I've been asked the million dollar question by the friends I'm staying with: Tell us what you want to do cos for some things (eating at certain places etc) you have to book early (now)

It's not somewhere I've ever been or thought I would go so other than Magic Kingdom and Universal I don't know anything about what's there or where to start when it comes to the parks/sights etc. We'll be based in Riverview, Tampa so just an hour from Orlando.

The bairn will have just turned 6 when we go and my friends triplets will be 5, so tell me where I should go and what I should see. Obviously we will do the theme parks to an extent but I'd quite like to know about any other hidden gems around there. I envisage a lot of time around beaches and have family in Naples, FL and Treasure Island so we'll be heading to those places too.

Any suggestions, advice, practical info or places to avoid welcome :)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the Kennedy Space Center when I was 8 and remember quite enjoying it, but I dunno if 6 might be a bit young. Especially if he's got used to his days being filled with rides and suddenly you take him somewhere where there's none.

There's a Harry Potter Park there now, isn't there? So if he's into Potter that should be on the list. Also what about Epcot. I remember that being pretty good.

I mean I was last there almost 30 years ago to the day, so by all means take my recommendations with a pinch of salt. :lol:

I'd love to do the space stuff myself so that's a good call actually, and he's a proper little geek (we do sit in the garden and point out planets etc) so he'd probably enjoy it.

The food in Disney is fucking awful btw, so if at all possible, I'd take packed lunches. It's all dry burgers and soggy chips and it's pricey too.

Not sure about the other parks.

The Harry Potter stuff is at islands of adventure where they also have the spiderman, hulk, Jurassic park and cat in the hat rides. A must for the bairn. Though it might be worth checking the height requirements as refusal may cause scarring for life.

I've just Googled the Islands of Adventure and it has to go on the list. Spiderman+Hulk+Harry Potter will make me the best mam in the world I think.

Sanibel Island is great for food places and chilling out on a beach. The bairns and adults will really enjoy Cheeburger Cheeburger (http://cheeburger.com/home2/index.asp). Diner-style place that does incredible burgers and shakes etc. Fricking huge basket of fresh onion rings too!

If you fancy it, go to Estero and catch a Florida Everblades ice hockey game if the season's in full swing - you can spot up-and-coming NHLers if you're lucky and it's far cheaper & easier to get a ticket than the NHL games.

Universal is by far the best theme park there and well worth splurging on queue jump tickets if you've got a bit of money to burn.

Swerve Tampa Bay - it's shit.

If your staying in Tampa then Busch Gardens is an excellent park you don't need to drive all the way to Orlando for.

Make sure to buy a multi-park pass to swipe in quickly rather than queueing to buy tickets at each park.

Sea World a must

Gatorland is a canny filler

St. Petersberg beach is nice

Disney typhoons lagoon (splash park) superb.

The Golden coral in Kissimee is worth one visit

Finally a drive around celebration, the Disney community used to be canny with a great Italian in the centre of it.

The Mummy. :lol: I went on that in LA, and there's a bit where you're on a bridge and walking through a cylinder shape. There are about 6 cylinders and they're all spinning in different directions and it's designed to disorientate you and make you think the bridge is moving.

Well could I fuck come to terms with the fact that the bridge was stationary. I was like one of those dopey cunts who can't cope with getting onto an escalator. All over the shop, with these two 10 year old kids behind me going "Dude. It's not even moving." :lol:

I was about 28 at the time looking like that bloke at coachella trying to get his flip flop back on.

jurrasic park ride and super hero island

and back to the future

can i just come? lol i fucking hate fairground rides to be fair i refuse to go on any but i'd go on them

Aye I can just see your tolerance coping with 4 boys under 6 :lol:

Although saying that, you're probably on a level when it comes to this stuff..

I thought universal was shit :D

What rides did you like there? Only the mummy was any good to me.

The Mummy was incredible. Never been on a ride like it.

I liked the Spiderman and Dragon Challenge (we were in the front) rides, Simpsons was alright but hasn't it replaced Back to the Future?

i've been in one and hummed the theme non stop, we've got one in the transport museum here, made in Belfast sure :D

fuck the titantic that's our claim to fame lol

guy in work still has his employee card from working in delorians i.t dept back in the day

Still can't believe you didn't tell me there was one in Belfast...

Aye definitely go in the evening for the parade thing and the fireworks.

We will definitely be doing fireworks and parades. The couple I'm staying with actually got married in Cinderella's castle (I know, I know) Glass slippers, the lot :lol:

We will definitely be doing fireworks and parades. The couple I'm staying with actually got married in Cinderella's castle (I know, I know) Glass slippers, the lot :lol:

Fucking hell, that is unnerving. :lol:

Pensicola is good for bars ands live music, your young 'un will love it....no need to thank me :D

The beauty of staying with friends is that I will be sneaking out with one or the other of them for the odd evening, so thanks ;)

Plus, the first thing the man of the house said was "Of course you can come and stay. It'll be nice to have someone to watch the footy with for once!"

He's a Man Utd fan :glare: