Cars

Christmas Tree

That's only if you work for the NHS isn't it? I'm not sure the tax office is going to be promoting you paying them less tax

No, open to any company that wants to offer it. Loads do but GQ will need to Enquire with his HR dept.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acceptable exterior damage, as a rule of thumb, is anything less than 20-30mm diameter.

There are "ways" to ensure your mileage falls within the agreed limits, so long as you don't mind a wee trip to Glasgow to "put things right".

Obviously, the mileage you incur going to Glasgow can be dealt with as easily as the other few thousand you're having "seen to".

Bear in mind, too, that you'll have to this before each ( mandatory) yearly service- if you're only going a wee bit over your yearly allowance, decide which is cheaper.

That being said, don't bother with the maintenance packages they'll try to sell you, you'll be getting a brand new car, anything over new tyres is covered by its warranty.

• 1 month later...

I picked up my lease car on a 2 year deal on 12th September 2014.

They've just been in touch to say they will collect the car on 10th October.

That's 25 months though? And it means I have to tax and insure it for an extra month before it goes back! Anyone had similar problems? I'm going to ring up tomorrow and argue the toss as every bit of paper I have refers to a 24 month deal, not 25 months

I would just point out that you're happy to keep it for that month if they're prepared to cover the costs you're concerned about. They might be ok with that and if they aren't it'll bring any issues to the fore.

We lease a Honda CR-V, I like it and the rear view camera is belta (as Tom said about his). My lass wants to buy the thing at lease end so I guess we'll do that with this one and she can have it, I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to cars so I'll probably just keep leasing for my car.

We also have a Honda Civic from 1999 which is definitely on its last legs sadly (the timing belt is about to go, I know next to nowt about cars but even I know that is a knacker if it goes and at $700 for a replacement it's a no from me), when that dies I'll probably lease a car and was looking at the Golf GTI tbh so let me know how you like your Golf when you get it SEW. 

The car is from 1999 with 265k miles on it, I don't fancy spending $700 on it because that's not the only thing wrong with the car at this point. It wont be long until the transmission starts playing up etc. We paid $600 for new brakes recently which will probably be the last of it, just going to drive it until it claps out then scrap it at this point. Hoping we get 10 more month out of it, it only drives around town nowadays really so it should manage that.

Be careful driving it about with the timing belt about to go mind. If you're cruising down the freeway listening to Steppenwolf and the engine seizes, it'll not be fun.

Rear cameras are mint btw. Never had a car with one before and I've got one on the new focus I got. I've become an expert at using the little lines. I reckon I could do a cone slalom backwards.

Be careful driving it about with the timing belt about to go mind. If you're cruising down the freeway listening to Steppenwolf and the engine seizes, it'll not be fun.

Rear cameras are mint btw. Never had a car with one before and I've got one on the new focus I got. I've become an expert at using the little lines. I reckon I could do a cone slalom backwards.

Aye it only really drives around town nowadays, if we take it on the highway it's deafeningly loud and takes a while to speed up, which in itself is a nightmare on US highways when you have some prick in a Dodge 3500 right on your bumper. It doesn't accelerate well with the aircon on either, which has been immense with the 35 degree 65%+ humidity summer we've been having :lol:.

The camera is mint once you get the hang of it, no idea if the GTI has one but it could be a deal breaker if it doesnt.

I've had cars with and without rear cameras, they are good but wouldn't make or break a car for me. The leaf has a camera on every side and makes a birds eye view for you when you're parking

B3BA4C2D-1280-4B73-9CAA-409178BFAEE4_zps

Picked up the golf last week (thinking the leaf was going back in 3 weeks!!). Lovely to drive. If I had the cash I would go for the GTD over the GTI though. Lower tax, better MPG and not that much slower

19CDF022-363E-45DC-9BE5-52993D4B368B_zps

2A55FA47-0D78-4940-B5BA-152477AAF7EA_zps

Isn't the GTD the one that got into all the emissions bother? I suppose if it was the hit they took on resale value because of that doesn't matter as much since I'll be leasing anyway, so I'll check around for them as well. 

I just really like the rear-camera feature and they're so common now that it is probably a thing that would make me pick another car (mainly as I'd be leasing), since I'm not that fussed on cars to start with I just figured the Golf was fun to drive as I remember my mate back home had the GTI which was a nice car to drive. If I was getting a good deal on buying a car then I agree a back up camera wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Edited by Howay

Isn't the GTD the one that got into all the emissions bother? I suppose if it was the hit they took on resale value because of that doesn't matter as much since I'll be leasing anyway, so I'll check around for them as well.

I just really like the rear-camera feature and they're so common now that it is probably a thing that would make me pick another car (mainly as I'd be leasing), since I'm not that fussed on cars to start with I just figured the Golf was fun to drive as I remember my mate back home had the GTI which was a nice car to drive. If I was getting a good deal on buying a car then I agree a back up camera wouldn't be a deal breaker.

It was all of the Diesel engines. You pay tax on the fiddled emission rating rather than the genuine one though so it's good for owners, bad for VW

It was all of the Diesel engines. You pay tax on the fiddled emission rating rather than the genuine one though so it's good for owners, bad for VW

Aye that's good, I heard a lot of people getting good deals with the big trade in VW were giving for them over here. 

I was surprised to discover after 15 years of basically never driving that I'm still okay at parallel parking (it's one of the very few things I didn't get minor marks for on my test :lol: ), but I'll always drive to the far end of a supermarket car park if it means avoiding other cars. :D

We lease a Honda CR-V, I like it and the rear view camera is belta (as Tom said about his). My lass wants to buy the thing at lease end so I guess we'll do that with this one and she can have it, I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to cars so I'll probably just keep leasing for my car.

We also have a Honda Civic from 1999 which is definitely on its last legs sadly (the timing belt is about to go, I know next to nowt about cars but even I know that is a knacker if it goes and at $700 for a replacement it's a no from me), when that dies I'll probably lease a car and was looking at the Golf GTI tbh so let me know how you like your Golf when you get it SEW. 

Proper used to mine now, it's a great piece of kit. Foolproof. 

Rank how I failed my second test on parking (30 seconds in) and now I'm parking quicker than Ace Ventura. :lol: