What do you say at a job interview

Zathras

So my boss is getting a promotion/transfer and a few months ago I applied for her job. It's mostly the same as my current position--a bit more responsibility and a bit more work.

The thing is that I've since decided that I couldn't stay even in my current position for more than a year or so without going completely insane.

OTOH, I have a feeling that there's a better candidate who has already interviewed and that they have pretty well decided on them.

So tomorrow's the interview, and I figure I should go through with it because I made them go through the trouble of scheduling it etc, and I don't exactly want to just say "I don't want the job anymore" because they'll then be certain that I am going to leave soon, which will likely mean a non-renewal of my contract in June, which is too soon for me to quit. Besides, it's good interview practice.

But I haven't a clue what to say tomorrow. :rolleyes:

you could tell them that you're looking to use this opportunity as a stepping stone... but that could tip them off about your imminent departure...

explain that you intend to use this promotion as a way of shaping the company's future which you see yourself a big part of... this will probably smack of too much arrogance for their liking...or you could always just explain that you don't like the cut of their collective jib and strop off.

maybe proffer one word answers, or reduce it to grunts clicks and whistles.

Just tell them about your butterfly collection and how you take pleasure pinning them to the board while they are still alive!!!

Seriously just explain how you thing the position will be great but you are only looking to it as a stepping stone to your greater goal of world domination (insert whatever career aspirations you have here).

Sneer at them and react to every question with a slight sigh as if you can't quite believe anyone would have the nerve to ask such a stupid question in an interview of all places. Lean forward in your chair and jutt out your chin aggressively. Laugh inappropriately, at odd times, when they've finished asking a question of when you've answered something in all seriousness. Honestly, the opportunites are endless. You could have some real fun in there if you're relaxed enough. Of course not getting the job is much simpler but if you want to have a laugh then some of the above is a good start.

Take some nail clippers in and cut your toe nails during the interview, neatly placing them in a pile on the corner of the desk.

81167[/snapback]

Won't that be a display of good organisational skills? :yes

Get an elastic band and catapult the cuttings around the room :rolleyes:

Take some nail clippers in and cut your toe nails during the interview, neatly placing them in a pile on the corner of the desk.

81167[/snapback]

Won't that be a display of good organisational skills? :yes

Get an elastic band and catapult the cuttings around the room :rolleyes:

81171[/snapback]

Forgot to add: before blowing them in their direction at the end of the interview :o

'Leisure....is my pleasure!'

81200[/snapback]

:rolleyes: Aye, the old Danny Murphy (Spud) routine. Or you could follow my namesake's example (Mark Renton), who, when realising he might be offered a job he didn't want, told the panel that he may require extra time off as he was a heroine addict. :yes

Just call them all and withdraw your application

They will thank you for freeing up time they can use instead of wasting their time interviewing a spotty faced, no ambition low achiever

No-one likes interviewing - its too easy to make a mistake and hire someone competent

They will thank you for freeing up time they can use instead of wasting their time interviewing a spotty faced, no ambition low achiever

No-one likes interviewing - its too easy to make a mistake and hire someone competent

81267[/snapback]

I was gonna post something along the same lines as Rob.....only without calling you a spotty faced, no ambition low achiever. :rolleyes:

81267[/snapback]

I was gonna post something along the same lines as Rob.....only without calling you a spotty faced, no ambition low achiever. :rolleyes:

81282[/snapback]

yeah so was i! :yes

Just be honest...ish. Withdraw your application for 'personal reasons' Apologise for any inconvenience too.

81267[/snapback]

Thing is it's my current employer--by showing them that I'm not interested in the position which is essentially a half-step above mine, they'll see that I don't want to work for them any more, but the next 10 months or so are a bad time for me to try to get a new job.

81267[/snapback]

Thing is it's my current employer--by showing them that I'm not interested in the position which is essentially a half-step above mine, they'll see that I don't want to work for them any more, but the next 10 months or so are a bad time for me to try to get a new job.

81320[/snapback]

They're not gonna fire you for not wanting to take a half-step up though. Certainly not if you're good in your current job anyway - why give themselves the headache of having to replace you when you're happy to pass up on promotion to keep doing what you're doing. And you've obviously no intention of trying to impress them particularly, seen as you've decided you want out. I don't see a problem with just being honest with them.

Because my contract's up for renewal in June; by showing that I want out, they would be best served to replace me then so that they don't have to worry about cutting the contract and it's the closest thing to a lull and therefore the best time to replace me.

Because my contract's up for renewal in June; by showing that I want out, they would be best served to replace me then so that they don't have to worry about cutting the contract and it's the closest thing to a lull and therefore the best time to replace me.

81327[/snapback]

Bring me solutions, not more problems! :rolleyes:

In that case, go to the interview and do your best to get the job. Worst case scenario is you get paid a bit more for as long as you want to stay with them. Best case is you don't get the job because they've got a more suitable candidate.

You want the job but you don't want the job?????????????

I'd seriously go and have a lie down and think carefully about talking to ANYONE until you get your mind sorted fully

Gemmill is right - if you get the new job you'll probably get a new contract that wil take you through to the time you want to bail out................... anyway June is months away - they won't remember you ducked out in January