Oldham Athletic v Newcastle United

beatty

To say it's meaningless to lose pre-season games is rubbish. Every match has some meaning to it and to win is the name of the game. Sure it's a feeling out process, practice, viewing the mix of players, etc etc, but the whole idea is to win.

A loss to "I told'em Oldham" should not be acceptable to anyone especially Pardoo.

In my lifetime I have played many practice, charity, meaningless games, but losing in any of them did not sit well with me.

Five things we learned from Newcastle United's pre-season clash with Oldham Athletic

15 July 2014 10:47

With the first pre-season game out of the way we take a look what was learned from Oldham Athletic v Newcastle United

1. The actual result in these games count for nothing

Look, nobody likes to lose to Oldham even in a meaningless game.

But does anyone really believe the team that will start against Manchester City is going to look like that one from last night?

If you do, I’d like a pint of what you are drinking. Two if you’re offering.

Oldham scored when all of Newcastle’s better, more experienced players came off.

It’s not an excuse. These things happen. Who honestly remembers the score in the first game of pre-season?

2. Siem de Jong is a footballing genius

An exaggeration? Perhaps just a smidgeon.

Given I have just said that results don’t count right now, going by that logic, neither should individual performances.

However, his goal and general calmness on the ball – he had more time than anyone in possession – hinted that De Jong is a football player and a half.

Once he gets Remy Cabella beside him and a top striker in front of him, just watch this guy go.

His goal was brilliant.

3. A striker is still needed ...

And not just Emmanuel Riviere.

There is a suggestion that Newcastle are interested in Christian Benteke and Aston Villa would be willing to talk.

If not the Belgian, then someone like him still needs to be bought.

As we stand, there are youngsters, an injured Papiss Cisse and Riviere – who has never been prolific – who will be asked to get goals in a team that on paper don’t have a lot in them.

Mike needs to spend more cash.

4. Hatem Ben Arfa is yesterday’s man

He wasn’t in the squad for Oldham. He might not get to New Zealand.

His name was chanted for a bit, but there comes a time when we have to ask why a player of such talent is nowhere near the team to play some pre-season friendly.

Ben Arfa has returned looking less than 100 per cent. Again.

Newcastle would sell him, but nobody wants to buy the guy.

I wonder if he asks himself why this would be.

5. If every player had the attitude of Yoan Gouffran then the world would be a better place

There are better footballers around than the Frenchman, but few have his attitude.

Last night, he charged about looking for the ball, winning back possession and starting attacks as if it was a Premier League game.

Gouffran gets taken for granted a bit because he’s so consistent.

The guy looked really sharp at Oldham. It was encouraging.

Edited by Christmas Tree

2. Siem de Jong is a footballing genius

You love that phrase dont you? :D

You've talked about what a meaningless game this was and how the result doesnt matter, yet you've declared a player a 'genius' on the basis of that very game? :lol:

:CT:

You love that phrase dont you? :D

You've talked about what a meaningless game this was and how the result doesnt matter, yet you've declared a player a 'genius' on the basis of that very game? :lol:

It's from the chronicle ;)