Emmanuel Rivière

beatty

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're getting seriously twitchy, CSD. We've needed strikers for ages. We've gone out and got one. Surely this should be seen as progress? Nobody should be sucking Ashley's cock over it, but can we not be at least somewhat optimistic about our new signings?

Optimistic? His record's fucking shite, and we haven't a single senior striker that isn't injured/in seriously terrible form. On top of that, Pardew's making noises that that's our lot! Why would that make me optimistic. It's a fucking travesty, and given the extra TV money, the Cabaye/Debuchy money and the fact that they've spent fuck all for 18 months, it's looking like we're being sold seriously fucking short, yet again.

You've been drinking, haven't you?

I'm sure plenty of us have been hoping you've been on the drink for weeks. for your sake.

You forgot Colback as the Gosling upgrade.

I don't think Riviere-Remy is a fair comparison since Remy was never our player. At present it's Riviere-Ba, which doesn't look too favourable for Riv, but time will tell if he'll be our main striker. It could turn out that he's intended to be a replacement for Shola and another striker will come in as the main man.

De Jong probably won't be as good as Cabaye, but Cabaye was a class above the rest of the side and I think we caught lightning in a bottle on that one. If every signing we make is judged by the Cabaye signing, they're all going to be found wanting. I think de Jong will do a job for us in the PL.

Cabella will actually play matches, so already he's an upgrade on Ben Arfa without kicking a ball in anger. Not sure where you're coming from on that one.

Janmaat only went and finished 3rd at the WC, starting in a world-class Dutch team. You're dismissing him way too soon. I think he'll be a success here.

Perez is a very questionable signing, I agree, but I don't think he'll feature in the first team.

Of course you compare him to Remy, he's replacing him in the team. You can bookmark this if you want because I'm telling you now we're not signing a better striker. Janmaat started the first two games for holland, then was dropped. I'm not dismissing him. I'm saying he's not an upgrade on Debuchy. The point I'm making is whether we're better off than how we started last season is so marginal that it's down to opinion, and for me the lack of a goalscorer makes us significantly worse off. It's the area of the team we've needed to strengthen for years but we've actually weakened it, again. You can clutch at straws that we'll sign a proven goalscorer but unless one inexplicably becomes free like Ba or Remy did (ridiculous good fortune) then it won't happen. People can get excited when we've actually made significant moves to strengthen and not just replace.

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

Why must it be like for like replacements?

I think Cabaye's departure will see us play a different style, Janmaat is a different kind of fullback (more defensive), and signing two players like Cabella and De Jong suggests we won't be playing one of them in the Cabaye role, rather that we'll be looking for them both to start.

I understand why some people are nervous, but all the noises coming out of the club and the journos is that we're still very much in the hunt for at least another player and that being a striker.

Krul

Janmaat Colo Willo Santon

Tiote Anita

Sissoko De Jong Cabella

????

Elliot

Haidara

Taylor

Colback

Ben Arfa

Riviere

Cisse

I don't think that's too shabby, do you?

Edited by The Fish

I think a relying on a set of question marks to fire in the goals is shabby, yes. I think Tiote/Anita is a weak partnership as well tbh.

Sorry Fish but where's the noises that we're looking for another striker coming from? I think Pardew's quotes last night and the fact that this club doesn't pay for proven strikers is enough to say we won't. We're being told we boast some of the best forwards in the league :lol: That's our lot man.

Do you know much about Janmaat. Van Gaal had him wing back for a game didn't he? I'm not sure he is more defensive.

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

Why not save all your moaning for when the window closes. So far so good.

Seriously, what's the point of posting on a football supporters forum if it's just constantly say how Shit it is. Surely better for your own well being to stick to general chat.

Most people (within the well known negatives about NUFC) are enjoying signings, hoping for more and looking forward to the start of the season.

We will sign a first team striker before the window shuts.

yeah, reckon we will.

personally I would upgrade anita too. imo hes lightweight for premL, cant see where he fits in team, outside of DM slot. Hasnt impressed as an attk mid role.

unless hes happy to be squad player.....can play in the cups or back up for injuries

So far so good? Again. No.

I'm trying to point out the reality. The way that a handful of bargain basement replacements for outgoing players is enough to appease people and get them to start praising the club, after the mood towards the end of last season frustrates the life out of me. We've got the most fickle set of fans in the country, and I could understand if we'd obviously strengthened but we haven't and won't, because that's not what we do and we're openly unambitious.

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

I very seldom listen to live radio, oddly enough today in the sports report on a local commercial station they had a random bit or transfer news regarding this fellow. Something along the lines of "Newcastle boosted their threadbare striking options by signing Emmanuel Riviere from French side Monaco."