What the hell are they smoking at the Mirror?

sammynb

Wednesday's gossip column

Sven-Goran Eriksson will accept a £3m pay-off to step down as England coach after this summer's World Cup finals. (Daily Express, The Times)

Michael Owen has denied Eriksson's claims that he is unhappy at Newcastle. (Daily Mirror)

Robbie Fowler will have to halve his £37,500-a-week wages if he wants a new contract with Manchester City this summer. (The Sun)

Norwich have told West Ham that Dean Ashton will cost them £8m. (The Sun)

Chelsea have offered a downpayment of £7.5m that could rise to £15m for teenage Southampton striker Theo Walcott. (The Times)

Arsenal's bid for Walcott is £5m, rising to £12m (The Times) or £4m rising to £10m. (Daily Mirror)

Chelsea have rejected a £6m bid from Tottenham for Wayne Bridge, who is set to join Fulham on loan. (The Times)

Or, Bridge is set to join Tottenham on loan for the rest of the season. (Daily Star, Daily Mirror) Manchester United are lining up a £3m bid for Getafe winger Riki. (Daily Mail, Mirror)

Cristiano Ronaldo could leave United in a £20m summer move after his bust-up with Ruud van Nistelrooy. Juventus and Valencia are both interested. (Mirror)

Portsmouth are keen on Charlton's Dean Kiely, Aston Villa's Lee Hendrie. (Daily Express)

Leeds will use David Healy as a bait to sign Jason Koumas from West Brom. (The Sun, Daily Express)

Tottenham have had a £1m offer for Middlesbrough winger Adam Johnson rejected. (Independent)

Middlesbrough hope to buy Rory Delap from Southampton for £750,000 and may also bid £250,000 for his Saints team-mate Chris Baird. (Daily Mirror)

Middlesbrough want to sign Charlton's Jason Euell on loan. (The Times)

Birmingham are still interested in Euell - and are also targeting out-of-favour Boro striker Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. (The Times)

Newcastle are closing in on a swap deal for Fenerbahce striker Nicolas Anelka, with Albert Luque moving in the opposite direction. (Mirror)

Anelka will join the Magpies on loan ahead of a permanent move in the summer. (Express)

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...ers/4623022.stm

Published: 2006/01/18 03:32:28 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Can't see that one happening myself...

Despite all the press rumours, I can't see us pushing Luque on just yet - Souness is too bloody-minded to do that...

I wish the press would fucking get off Luque's back.

81410[/snapback]

How typical of you to stick up for one of our players.

81412[/snapback]

"supporter"

81414[/snapback]

Sarcasm. I wish the press would get off Luque's back - just seemed a bit odd for Sima to say such a thing.

I wish the press would fucking get off Luque's back.

81410[/snapback]

How typical of you to stick up for one of our players.

81412[/snapback]

"supporter"

81414[/snapback]

Sarcasm. I wish the press would get off Luque's back - just seemed a bit odd for Sima to say such a thing.

81418[/snapback]

Fair enough, I'd just not noticed Sima criticising our players, but I generally don't pay much attention to his posts anyway :rolleyes:

I'll defend players when they deserve it and Luque certainly does. Absolutely cringeworthy watching Le Tissier pull him to shreds last Saturday.

Looking for a scapegoat and he seems the latest bandwagon.

I'll defend players when they deserve it and Luque certainly does.  Absolutely cringeworthy watching Le Tissier pull him to shreds last Saturday.

81458[/snapback]

Luque deserves some defence in terms of the team not playing to his strengths, needing time to settle in etc. but he isn't doing himself any favours with his on pitch attitude. Obviously, I don't condone fans havbing a go at him at the match or anything like that.

I'll defend players when they deserve it and Luque certainly does.  Absolutely cringeworthy watching Le Tissier pull him to shreds last Saturday.

81458[/snapback]

If he was talking about desire, application or anything on those lines [as i suspect would have been the case] MLT is the last one to talk.

It galls me to hear thick cockney twat Rodney Marsh talk about Keegan "throwing away the title" for the same reason.....

81458[/snapback]

If he was talking about desire, application or anything on those lines [as i suspect would have been the case] MLT is the last one to talk.

It galls me to hear thick cockney twat Rodney Marsh talk about Keegan "throwing away the title" for the same reason.....

81590[/snapback]

Says the person who wrote Luque off after 30 minutes of action.

I hear Luque complained about the tactics not playing to his strength. If that is true, then congratulations to him - having done what I'm sure 95% would have wanted from our players.

81842[/snapback]

We have tactics!!! :lol::mellow:

Seriously though, if he has said anything along those lines, fair play to him and maybe a few more of the players could speak up, though if they did we all know they'd be kicked out by SOuness for being a "cancer" like Bellamy!

Its bad enough the "style" of "football" Souness has us playign when its aimed at Big Al, but to pay nearly £10m for a player of Luques type and launch balls up at him while giant centre halves are right up his backside is embrassing.

I hear Luque complained about the tactics not playing to his strength. If that is true, then congratulations to him - having done what I'm sure 95% would have wanted from our players.

81842[/snapback]

Now hold on, Robert did that and 95% of NUFC slated him for being selfish!

We have tactics!!!  :lol:  :mellow:

82007[/snapback]

He meant tic-tacs. We remain shit at football but have minty-fresh breath and they're only 2 calories!

82103[/snapback]

Indeed, Souness described them as "proper" mints and the best mints he's ever worked with!

82007[/snapback]

He meant tic-tacs. We remain shit at football but have minty-fresh breath and they're only 2 calories!

82103[/snapback]

Indeed, Souness described them as "proper" mints and the best mints he's ever worked with!

82129[/snapback]

He prefers Geordie born-and-bred mints though tbh.

82007[/snapback]

82103[/snapback]

Are you shaking your tic-tacs at me?