Facundo Ferreyra

The Fish

I know absolutely nothing about our new loan signing other than he's a striker, he's running away from the Ukraine and he's Argentinian and here is a youtube of him with the obligatory terrible soundtrack:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame that there isn't a video of all the all the times players fluff their lines to go along with the highlights reel. A lowlights reel would be most welcome when judging a player. Something for rival fans to get involved in perhaps?

But yeah, he looks tidy. Right footed, finishes well into the corners. Can turn and set quickly in the area. Solid first touch and more than capable close control. Left foot is more than competent. Seems to have some aerial ability, with well guided headers in the video.

Now I want to know his weaknesses. Seems he blitzed the first 8 games of the season, scoring 6 but then totally trailed off. Would like to know why his form faltered.

Seems the sensible option to have a try before you buy with this lad. I'm sure that the De Jong deal, last year, has had an effect when we're looking to bring in strikers with question marks over their potential. Fees being bandied about seem reasonable for a highly rated player with a more than decent record, too.

Ferreyra worth a gamble up front Facundo Ferreyra's goal-scoring instincts would add value to any Premier League team.

Newcastle United have been quick and efficient in their transfer business this summer, moving beyond 18 months of stagnation to bring in some much-needed reinforcements ahead of the new season. Yet for all the expenditure on the likes of Emmanuel Riviere, Siem de Jong, Remy Cabella and Ayoze Perez, there still appears to be a gaping hole in the squad when it comes to centre-forwards. No longer do the Toon have the ever-reliable if uninspiring Shola Ameobi in their ranks to turn to in times of crisis, and with Papiss Cisse set to be in the treatment room for some time, they need to act fast.

In that context, then, it is understandable that reports have begun linking the club to Argentine forward Facundo Ferreyra, a member of Shakhtar Donetsk's South American contingent. A tall and pacey forward, Ferreyra's goal scoring record in recent seasons with Velez Sarsfield and Shakhtar is mightily impressive. He may not be well-known to many fans, but he would certainly be a signing worth getting excited about and, per earlier reports, could even be available on an initial loan deal if that were to be more enticing.

Fans should perhaps treat the speculation with more than a little caution given the unpredictability of the transfer window, but the club's previous interest would suggest they may have continued to track his career and Newcastle have certainly proved adept at capitalising upon market forces to secure talents for below their expected market value over recent seasons.

Of all of Shakhtar's assets, he is the one for whom a move to England is a realistic possibility. Such a signing, though, comes with inherent risk, and given the extensive changes at Newcastle this summer, he wouldn't have the luxury of arriving into a settled unit. After a rapid start to his career in Ukraine, "Chucky" hasn't scored since October. A lack of playing time has been part of the issue, but there has also been a significant decline in his form since an explosive run of six goals in eight league games early season.

Shakhtar's abundance of attacking players means fans should perhaps not be overly concerned by the lack of recent goals. Since his breakthrough season with Banfield as a 19-year-old, Ferreyra has consistently scored goals at all levels of the game -- including four for his country's under-20 side at the South American championships in 2011. That output got him attention, but 16 goals in 21 games in a one-year spell with Velez elevated his reputation to that of a major striking talent.

Ferreyra scored plenty of Velez Sarsfield and Shakhtar but needs a team that can build around him.

It was in earning the top-scorer crown with Velez that he showed a completeness to his game, leading the line alone and helping his club to a league title. There had been initial worries about his lack of physicality, but Ferreyra put to bed those doubts with a sensational season in which he showed finishing prowess with both head and feet. He is still by no means as physically developed as many European clubs would like to see of a centre-forward, but that is a problem easily and relatively quickly solved.

Ferreyra's potential for excellence stems from his intelligent movement and confidence in front of goal. When the ball falls to him in the box, he is adept at creating space for a shot while he will continually look to pull off the shoulder of his marker and exploit his pace -- a trait which could, potentially, open space for the likes of de Jong and Cabella. He will require a side that plays to his strengths, though, if he is to succeed. For all his competence in the air, he will never be an Ameobi or a Demba Ba, players who can make long, hopeful balls forward stick and bring others into play. Newcastle would need to be precise in their approach play.

Whether there is any truth in the reports surrounding Alan Pardew's side, it is clear that several teams will be looking at Ferreyra this summer. At just 23, he is approaching his prime and has the potential to push for a place in the Argentine national team ahead of coming tournaments if he can secure a stage from which to demonstrate his talents.

In a summer in which strikers are moving for inflated fees, Ferreyra could represent reasonable value. Despite Shakhtar's notoriety for driving a hard bargain,

Ferreyra is worth a gamble given the shortage of natural goal scorers at the top level.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/scouts-notebook/78/post/1962143/reported-newcastle-target-facundo-ferreyra-is-worth-a-gamble

Loan deal seems perfect then - limits exposure like the De Jong one. Just hope that we have a buy clause in there in case he turns out to be a formidable player.

Agreed, loan deal with an option to buy would be perfect in this instance.

I'm all for adding more striking options to the squad given how few we had last season. We need someone that we can be confident will score in the premier league though. That said, the reports are suggesting that this signing would be in addition to a main striker so I can't complain at that.

I notice he scored 6 in 13 league games for Shaktar last season. The rest of his games were in the champions league in which they struggled if I remember rightly so I suppose he'd understadably struggle to score in those.

http://www.goal.com/en-gh/news/4398/transfer-zone/2014/08/01/4997542/newcastle-close-in-on-ferreyra

No idea on how reliable this site is but 2m loan fee with an 8m clause to sign permanently would be cracking, it also says Colocinni helped sway his decision. No idea how they'd know any of this mind and there's no quotes so handful of salt needed with this one.

http://www.goal.com/en-gh/news/4398/transfer-zone/2014/08/01/4997542/newcastle-close-in-on-ferreyra

No idea on how reliable this site is but 2m loan fee with an 8m clause to sign permanently would be cracking, it also says Colocinni helped sway his decision. No idea how they'd know any of this mind and there's no quotes so handful of salt needed with this one.

Usually not very!

What they've said sounds fair enough and plausible though.

Seems the best option to have a taster with this kid. I'm sure that the LDJ deal, last season, has had influence when we're looking to bring in forward where we're unsure of their possible quality. the figures being talked about seem justifiable for a lauded footballer with a better than ok record, too.

;)

Seems the sensible option to have a try before you buy with this lad. I'm sure that the De Jong deal, last year, has had an effect when we're looking to bring in strikers with question marks over their potential. Fees being bandied about seem reasonable for a highly rated player with a more than decent record, too.

Loan deal seems perfect then - limits exposure like the De Jong one. Just hope that we have a buy clause in there in case he turns out to be a formidable player.

Seems the best option to have a taster with this kid. I'm sure that the LDJ deal, last season, has had influence when we're looking to bring in forward where we're unsure of their possible quality. the figures being talked about seem justifiable for a lauded footballer with a better than ok record, too.

;)

FFS I keep telling all of you: a loan deal seems perfect then - limits exposure like the De Jong one. Just hope that we have a buy clause in there in case he turns out to be a formidable player.

:lol: This forum, man...