Facundo Ferreyra

The Fish

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The Argentinian striker has failed to break into the first team since his arrival on-loan from Shakhtar Donetsk in the summer.

Fans on social media were asking us where Chucky, 23, is hiding, before his goalscoring appearance in a friendly against Carlisle United XI on Tuesday.

Pardew has told reporters ahead of Swansea match that the frontman needs time to adjust.

He said:

“He [Ferreyra] has been a bit unfortunate since he has arrived. He has had a couple of knocks that have knocked him back. He had a bad back recently. He had a reserve game on Thursday I think, with Perez, and they both did well. Perez in-particular. So, Perez is probably just in front of him at the moment in terms of where he’s at.

“He needs a bit more football. He needs a bit more games – but again, another player adjusting to the Premier League.

“This is a tough league, and when you don’t start well like we are – it’s even more difficult for these players to adjust – but the only message I’ve seen on the training ground is that they’re trying their damn hardest – and hopefully we can show that with a result.”

Ferreyra was identified as a target by the Toon after consultation with skipper Fabricio Coloccini.

• 2 months later...

I thought there was a quote from Pardew a while back that he wasn't in great shape and had to work harder.

Didn't see it, but giveen who's quoted I'm not sure if I'd believe it anyway.

We stepped in as we thought we were getting a bargain as the kid didn't want to return to the Ukraine with the trouble over there. We took a chance so we could turn a profit. Buy or loan low, save money buying a striker, he turns out good but not amazing we buy him, he turns out superb, someone else buys him when loan is up but we had a great player on the cheap for a few months. This time we got our fingers burnt. That's £1.6M off the transfer kitty for Jan or the summer window, Pardew fee incoming from Palace won't count of course, that'll be earmarked for next manager's wages over his contract. That's how it is in the World of Mike's Discount football Club. :good:

• 4 weeks later...

FACUNDO Ferreyra’s absence from the first-team picture at Newcastle United has been explained by John Carver.

The on-loan striker is yet to kick a ball in anger for the club – FIVE months after joining from Shakhtar Donetsk.

And there had been speculation that the year-long loan would be cut short this month amid reported interest from Italian club Genoa.

But Carver says the 23-year-old is still a United player, though he has an injury and is NOT available for selection.

“He’s injured at the moment,” said Carver, appointed as head coach this week until the end of the season.

“He’s had a problem with his back. He is here for treatment.

“I sat everybody on Tuesday morning and said everybody has a clean slate.”

Ferreyra’s only minutes on the pitch for Newcastle so far have come in friendlies and Under-21 games.

The Argentinian has been an unused substitute on a number of occasions for first-team fixtures.

:huh:

I thought we got rid of him months back...if he's here and injured, why haven't we terminated his loan? Why are we paying for this?

Is there an agreed fee?

I'd imagine that unless another club comes in for him then we're stuck with paying his wages and have already paid the loan fee. Obviously this problem with his back isn't helping us shift him.

Is there an agreed fee?

Apparently about £1.5m? I meant his wages more than anything though.

EDIT - unless you mean an agreed 'buy' fee - I think that was about £6m.

Edited by Rayvin

Apparently about £1.5m? I meant his wages more than anything though.

EDIT - unless you mean an agreed 'buy' fee - I think that was about £6m.

I did mean that.

Perhaps they're looking at making more profit by selling him on after his stint here?