OWEN PUTS BOOT IN

Craig

Eriksson condemned by England star who insists: I really love being at Newcastle

By Simon Bird, Daily Mirror

MICHAEL OWEN has hit back at Sven Goran Eriksson's claim that he is unhappy at Newcastle and only moved there for money.

The England star, who resumed light training yesterday as he recovers from his broken foot, insisted he is fully committed to the Geordies.

Eriksson caused a storm when he braggedthat Owen was not happy with his £16million summer move from Real Madrid to an undercover reporter who exposed the England coach at the weekend.

Two days after he was betrayed by Eriksson, Owen said: "I've not been disappointed.

"In fact, it's been great. Right from the start here I got a fantastic reception. I've loved every minute.

"I'm enjoying my time. I enjoyed it at Madrid, but there's nothing like being back in the Premiership.

"I have plenty of mates in the dressing room and the people have been great to me up here.

"I've really enjoyed my time so far and you want to repay the fans for the support they give you. When I'm fit I'm sure I'll do that. It's a great part of the world. I live near a lot of the lads and I was having a great time' plenty of golf and football and enjoying myself.

"I enjoyed Real, but it's nothing like coming into a dressing room where you understand the jokes and everything else. It's exciting and funny coming back when you've been away for a while."

There was further embarrassment for Eriksson as Aston Villa manager David O'Leary's condemnation of his comments were released jointly by his club and the League Managers' Association.

O'Leary, who said he was "amazed" at Eriksson's indiscretions, added: "It is not acceptable that the England national coach speaks publicly about replacing another manager whilst he is in the post."

Meanwhile, under-fire Newcastle boss Graeme Souness has warned Owen's team-mates they need to turn their current form around, saying: "What I am concerned about being dragged into a dogfight."

Nice to see him saying nice things about Newcastle and that, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least some truth in what Eriksson said.

81162[/snapback]

I'd be absolutely astounded if Erikkson hadn't got it pretty much spot on.

Owen, along with the rest of the must be pretty pissed off though - you tell your boss something in confidence, you don't expect it to become public knowledge.

BBC's effort...

Michael Owen insists he is happy at Newcastle United as he continues his recovery from the fractured metatarsal he suffered in December.

England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has been quoted as saying the 26-year-old does not enjoy playing for the Magpies.

But Owen, who returned to light training on Tuesday, told Newcastle's website: "I am enjoying my time here.

"There is nothing like being in the Premiership and I have not been disappointed since I have been here."

Owen moved to the Magpies in a £16m summer move from Real Madrid and was given a hero's welcome by fans on Tyneside.

He added: "It was a fantastic reception I had here and I have loved every minute of it already.

"You always want to repay the fans for the support they have given you in producing good performances on the pitch. When I am fit I am sure I will do that.

"I have plenty of mates in the dressing room and the people have been great to me up here.

"I enjoyed my time at Real Madrid, but there is nothing like coming into a dressing room where you understand all the jokes and everything else."

Owen had surgery to repair his broken foot on 3 January and is expected to be sidelined for up to two more months - but he is already looking forward to his comeback.

"I've had the stitches out, the cast is off, and it's all go now," he added.

"I am looking at my next targets now. The next one is getting on the bike, then the treadmill, running, and then kicking the ball again.

"As much as it still seems a few weeks away, I am looking forward to it already. I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

"Thankfully I am going to be back for a decent part of the season and hopefully back into a team playing well. I'm excited about coming back already.

"I'm pleased with when I have played. This has been a bit of a blow but I'm striving to get back on the pitch as quick as possible and bang in the goals again."

Truth is Eriksson could be lying through his back teeth. he is aiming to get a managers job for more money than he is on at England. No club can do that. Unless he tells them he can bring some stars with him. Tells them Beckham will follow him anywhere and Owen is unhappy at NUFC. Intimating he can get him to leave for their club. The man is a practised liar ask Faria Alam.

Truth is Eriksson could be lying through his back teeth. he is aiming to get a managers job for more money than he is on at England. No club can do that. Unless he tells them he can bring some stars with him. Tells them Beckham will follow him anywhere and Owen is unhappy at NUFC. Intimating he can get him to leave for their club. The man is a practised liar ask Faria Alam.

81219[/snapback]

Certainly could be something in that and as Gemmil said some truth in Owen not being happy.

And lets be honest unless you're clinically insane how could you possibly be happy at NUFC with what Souness is doing here.

Whatever the truth of these matters. Erikson is a disgrace and the FA should have sacked him more than once by now both for footballing and non footballing matters. How any of the players can want to play for him after he shafted them like that i have no idea.

As was pointed out on the Legends last night why would he be happy? He's injured, the team are playing dreadfully, the league table looks shocking and the place is under a cloud in general.

He's not going to say everythings going swimmingly is he?

81274[/snapback]

I guess there's always the point his England place is more assured...

How any of the players can want to play for him after he shafted them like that i have no idea.

81242[/snapback]

Because he lets them do what the fuck they like? :rolleyes:

81272[/snapback]

Probably something in that!

81278[/snapback]

Could explain why he keeps selecting Jenas and Dyer when fit for the squad also.

Nice to see him saying nice things about Newcastle and that, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least some truth in what Eriksson said.

81162[/snapback]

I think it's a shame that he couldn't come out and say nice things about Newcastle when he broke his foot. It pissed me off that instead of saying how disappointed he was at not being able to do a job for the club that paid a huge amount of money for him, pays him £100K a week and got him back into English football, all we got from him was that he wouldn't let the fans down by being back by the time the World Cup rolled around.

I certainly think there could be more than a bit of truth in what Eriksson said about Owen, and I think that anyone who thinks any different is deluing themselves.

81162[/snapback]

I think it's a shame that he couldn't come out and say nice things about Newcastle when he broke his foot. It pissed me off that instead of saying how disappointed he was at not being able to do a job for the club that paid a huge amount of money for him, pays him £100K a week and got him back into English football, all we got from him was that he wouldn't let the fans down by being back by the time the World Cup rolled around.

I certainly think there could be more than a bit of truth in what Eriksson said about Owen, and I think that anyone who thinks any different is deluing themselves.

81883[/snapback]

I have never Lu'd myself so dont know how you delu. But that quote was in relation to a direct question asking him about his chances of playing in the world cup.

81162[/snapback]

81883[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. He's a phenomenal player, but he's a selfish little tyke who's fleecing us.

I'd respect him if he said he'd be around next season to help the team while we pay him £100K a week to watch Doctors. :lol:

81162[/snapback]

81883[/snapback]

Agree completely.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if Owen was French/Italian/South American he'd be called worse than a mercenary...he can just about get away with it because he's English.

Edited by Bombadil