----------------Rivière------------

Elliot

YMB

Chucky

Perez

Colback

Anita

Gouff/Aarons

I'd like to see sissoko play in the middle too but don't think pardew sees him as anything but an advanced midfielder on the right

Edited by Dr Gloom

I would go with:

Krul

Janmaat--Willo--Colo-Haidara

-------Anita---Tiote--Sissoko---

Cabella-------------------Gouffran

---------------Riviere

De Jong may not be fit, and I'd like to see us crowd the midfield.

Me too. Too early to chuck in Aarons in a game like that though.

I suspect Pardew will move Sissoko to the wing and start Colback for added defensive cover.

Colback has done nowt to convince me he's a better option than Abeid yet. Gosling/Guthrie mk3

I would go with

-----------------Krul--------------

Janmaat Colo Willo Haidara

-----------Tiote Sissoko--------

Cabella--De Jong--Aarons/Gouff

----------------Rivière------------

Sounds like de Jong wants the team set up as 4-4-2.

"The main part of my play is to see the space in the box and come as a second striker and score goals, also to get in some crosses. My best position is just behind the striker. Hopefully I can play in that position here and do the same as I did for Ajax and improve both the team and myself."

I might be tempted to try.......

......................................Krul.............................

.......Janmaat................Colo...............Haidara......

..Cabella.........Sissoko.............Tiote..........Aarons....

.................................DeJong...................................

................Fancuna....................Riviere...................

Gouffron.

Anita.

Perez.

Colback.

Saylor.

Elliott.

Against Man City I think he will crowd thr midfield. Only one striker - that being Riviere who will be expected to drop back. Gouffran will be in there, and rightfully so. Hopefully we at least have some decent width as we'll need to.attack down the channels.

I'd toss a coin between Williamson and Taylor for the other CB alongside Coloccini. If they only had to defend I'd choose Williamson, but in a game where it's likely that we'll have few chances I would not want to waste them by having Williamson involved.

Haidara and Janmaat in the fullback positions, though I'm a little worried that Janmaat has seen no pre-season game time. If he's not ready I'd consider Anita there depending on who they're expected to play.

Tiote and Colback anchoring the midfield. Colback has to prove himself and as such he should put the effort in. We'll need Tiote to be on top of his game.

I think I'd start with Cabella on the right, De Jong in the middle, Gouffran on the left but I would give them licence to switch it up after 10. Cabella and Haidara could combine well down the left. Riviere to start up top.

I think given what we currently have and assuming everyone except Cisse and Santon are fit, I think we will go with;

Krul

Janmatt

Colo

Williamson

Haidara

Tiote

Colback

Sissoko

SDJ

Cabella

Riviere

Subs

Elliott

Saylor

Anita

Gouffran

Chucky

Mbiwa

Dummett

“He has come in, he’s a smiley boy, he really is fun around the training ground and he plays like that, I think our fans will love him.

“He’s not fit unfortunately, we’ve got to do a bit of work with him physically, he knows that but he’s going to attack it.

“Fantastic quality though and the sort of player I love and I hope he continues on that goal"

Looks like you might have to alter some of those formations lads it's disappointing I thought he'd be ready in a fortnight .

“He has come in, he’s a smiley boy, he really is fun around the training ground and he plays like that, I think our fans will love him.

“He’s not fit unfortunately, we’ve got to do a bit of work with him physically, he knows that but he’s going to attack it.

“Fantastic quality though and the sort of player I love and I hope he continues on that goal"

Looks like you might have to alter some of those formations lads it's disappointing I thought he'd be ready in a fortnight .

who is that about? not de jong is it?

Sorry lads its about Cabella.

Surely on the bench? We've got options in midfield but none like Remy (who aren't frozen out or young and unproven). I suspect it will be the usual suspects with De Jong if fit and Colback in midfield (Tiote, Sissoko, Gouffran).

Is there an argument for playing the old guard and unleashing the new recruits on an unsuspecting Villa?

Gives the new blood longer to get settled and saves them from the crushing blow of being eviscerated by a hungry Man City?

Is there an argument for playing the old guard and unleashing the new recruits on an unsuspecting Villa?

Gives the new blood longer to get settled and saves them from the crushing blow of being eviscerated by a hungry Man City?

Well we're going to need to play Janmaat as we don't have another rightback (what's happenning with Raylor?) and we don't have an old guard striker (not fit at least) so either Riviere or Chucky will have to play. SDJ has been at the club for a while now and I get the impression that Pardew sees him as vital to how he wants us to play so I'd be very surprised if he doesn't play (fitness allowing). He's also got an excellent record against Citeh from his Ajax days so I would imagine he will be desperate to play.

Colback and Cabella could miss out and I'd be surprised to see Perez get anything better than bench time this early.

Edited by David Kelly

Well we're going to need to play Janmaat as we don't have another rightback (what's happenning with Raylor?) and we don't have an old guard striker (not fit at least) so either Riviere or Chucky will have to play. SDJ has been at the club for a while now and I get the impression that Pardew sees him as vital to how he wants us to play so I'd be very surprised if he doesn't play (fitness allowing). He's also got an excellent record against Citeh from his Ajax days so I would imagine he will be desperate to play.

Colback and Cabella could miss out and I'd be surprised to see Perez get anything better than bench time this early.

Fair points, but I wouldn't put it past Pardew to play Mbiwa at right back, Gouffran up front etc.

Fair points, but I wouldn't put it past Pardew to play Mbiwa at right back, Gouffran up front etc.

I put nothing past that fucking idiot but lets hope not eh! I suppose how fit Janmaat is will have a large baring on it like. The fact that he wasn't even on the bench at the weekend doesn't look good. Have they said whether he will play against Huddersfield?

Riviere has been here pretty much all of preseason and played quite a bit so I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't played.

Edited by David Kelly