Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow

Tooj

Thought this was worthy of a thread as it looks like both are signing and going to be loaned back. Know nothing of Darlow but I've read things about Lascelles in the past and he seems to be rated as a decent prospect.

Forest fans don't seem to be happy about it.

http://www.forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=28594&posts=12

From reading that forum it seems that Darlow is their first choice keeper but they wouldn't have Lascelles in their first 11 despite believing he's worth £6m-£8m (seems a lot for a non first choice championship player).

None of them seem to be happy about selling Lascelle which is good news for us I suppose.

Talk of £7m for the pair of them. Seems a lot to spend on two players we won't see for at least a year when we are clearly short of quality in the centre of defence. Could also be seen as a positive move in that we're actually looking to build for the future.

Get to see them get another year of competitive football at a club they're used to and settled in, then they may be closer to competing for a spot here. If the reported £7m is correct, that seems awfully low for 2 highly regarded youngsters?

Reading through that thread on their forum, there seems to be a few of them suggesting that they might not be on too good a footing financially. That might explain the price. Of course there could also be money in forms of add ons that aren't being included in the suggested prices.

If the reported £7m is correct, that seems awfully low for 2 highly regarded youngsters?

Alan Pardew has upset Stuart Pearce by overseeing Newcastle’s acquisition of the eight and ninth recruits of the close season when they completed a joint £5m-plus deal for the much-coveted young Nottingham Forest duo Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow. The pair were immediately loaned back to the City Ground, where they will continue their development under Forest’s new manager in the Championship.

"We had an offer from Newcastle, that I was made aware of last week, in regards to the two players going there," Pearce said

"The figures that were mentioned, by the representative of our club - I said I would not do that deal, when I was asked the question."

"I thought I could push their value up and that they would be worth more in the long run."

"The first I heard today [Monday] about things was when Jamaal Lascelles came in and told me that he had a medical at 2pm at Newcastle. That disappointed me greatly."

"I think I have a good relationship with the club. But obviously, for whatever reason, they have decided to take the money on this situation."

"I do not agree with it. But the only olive branch I have got is that the boys are both coming back on a year loan, which is a bonus."

"But I felt that, if they stayed at the club, they would only have increased in value."

Nottingham Forest owner Fawaz Al Hasawi:

“I would love nothing more than to hold on to our best young players."

“I gave both Karl Darlow and Jamaal Lascelles lengthy new contracts in August 2013 and March 2014 respectively, as well as investing in the futures of Jamie Paterson, Ben Osborn and Dimitar Evtimov."

“I have demonstrated my keenness for the club to produce more players of Karl and Jamaal’s quality more than ever this summer, investing heavily in the facilities and supporting Stuart in his desire to integrate our youth set-up with the first team’s."

“The manager and I openly discussed the proposed sale of Karl and Jamaal, and he was aware of the negotiations throughout."

“The business side of football is changing, and the requirement to increase revenue means, unfortunately, difficult decisions have to be made."

“As Stuart mentioned in his media interview, I have always backed him financially and that will continue."

“I respect him greatly and I strongly believe together we can achieve our aims and bring success back to this great club."

“Should the pair’s proposed move to Newcastle be completed as expected, the transfer fees will significantly help us meet the stringent Financial Fair Play (FFP) criteria, all the while allowing us to retain two high-quality players for the 2014-15 season, paying nothing towards their wages."

“Sadly for me, there is no room for sentimentality in the running of a football club, and it is up to me to start making some tough decisions to preserve the long-term sustainability of Nottingham Forest."

“But while balancing the books is a hugely significant part of my role, it remains my job to ensure the manager has the best possible squad to work with as we pursue a place in the Premier League."

“Rest assured, therefore, that more additions will be made and the squad will be trimmed further to ensure we have a balanced and talented group of players in place.”

“In addition to that, Stuart and I work together as a team, and not work behind each other’s backs to bring the best out of this club.”

It'll be borderline criminal if we've bought this Lascelles lad for that much money and we don't buy a first team CB for this season

I'm not sure how buying a 20 year old England youth international for a bargain price can be deemed as criminal, no matter the context.

I'm not sure how buying a 20 year old England youth international for a bargain price can be deemed as criminal, no matter the context.

Bargain price? I'd say it's good money for a player of his level/experience. My point of course being that if our resources are limited, and we're constantly reminded that they are, then we shouldn't be spending those sorts of figures on players to loan them out. We probably could have gotten a capable first team CB for that sort of money. The fact that we have loaned him out though gives me some hope that there is a short term plan. But you never know with this lot :icon_lol:

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

It'll be borderline criminal if we've bought this Lascelles lad for that much money and we don't buy a first team CB for this season

There's no way we'll buy a first team centre back before offloading either Taylor or Mbwia.

Bargain price? I'd say it's good money for a player of his level/experience. My point of course being that if our resources are limited, and we're constantly reminded that they are, then we shouldn't be spending those sorts of figures on players to loan them out. We probably could have gotten a capable first team CB for that sort of money. The fact that we have loaned him out though gives me some hope that there is a short term plan. But you never know with this lot :icon_lol:

I suspect there's an element of having replacements in hand for Colo and Krul.

Such as?

Well I'm not a scout but there'd be plenty available for that sort of money. Could have paid Lescott's wages with it, who'd definitely have been an improvement on what we have. No scope for profit though.

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

Why do we take so long to officially announce signings?

Could it have something to do with the media deal we have with the Sun?

so are these 2 players now confirmed cause i heard they have to go back on loan

They are confirmed and they have gone back on loan.