New Approach?

The Fish

Just look at the type of players we've signed so far;

Cabella looks to operate in that gap between striker and midfield, but more than that, the thing that has been spoken about most is his intelligence and movement. It's his mobility and endeavour that people have been so excited to see.

De Jong is another that likes to play off a main striker, and again it's not his clinical finishing people have been speaking about, but it's his intelligence and movement.

Perez is a young striker who's apparently hard working and mobile.

Riviere is a player whose movement and energy is lauded above anything else.

Janmaat is, for me, a like for like replacement in terms of quality for Debuchy. However the reviews and reports I've seen indicate he's a more defensively minded fullback, suggesting (to me at least) that the creative players won't be asked to defend as much as they were before.

Colback has been bought because, imo, he's got a better range of passing than, say Anita, Sissoko or Tiote who're happier with short 5 yarders. In case we need to change things up.

Ferreyra is an opportunistic signing, but again he's regarded for his ability to pull the defence here and there, opening up space for his team mates.

This looks to me like Newcastle have bought players that can play a style closer to the controlled possession of teams like Arsenal, Liverpool, Swansea etc. and move further away from the rigid styles of Stoke, West Ham, Palace (under Pulis) etc.

I'm not saying Pardew can provide that style, I'm not saying these players will play that style, but it looks like the players we've signed would flourish in that style.

I agree, with how we've bought it seems like there would be less burden on a single player like there was on Cabaye to create style and tempo for our attacking play and to find players with lackluster movement while also wanting him to put a shift in defensively.

If Pardew can't make it work they'll sack him. Interesting to hear noises of him being under pressure on quest yesterday. Recently getting the club to spend - even money that they've made off sales - has been like getting blood out of a stone & I can't see him getting more than 8 games if he's making a mess of it.

Make or break time really.

Its a vaild point and one can only hope someone as inept as Pardew can somehow manage to pull it off.

Defensive concerns remain though. Too bad this new approach doesnt include getting in a couple of decent centre backs.

What I've read about Janmaat is quite the opposite of what you've read Fish. He was being lauded for his attacking but not so much for his defending. If that is the case then it doesn't fit in with your principle of letting the attackers off with defensive work.

I would also say that Colback was an oppertunistic signing as he's a Newcastle fan and was out of contract. I'm not sure he has any great range of passing yet (the tramps certainly seem to suggest not) so I'm not convinced he's part of any great plan there either.

The attacking players I do agree with though and I think this is part of an actual plan to replace the creativity of one player (Cabaye) with more creativity and movement from our entire attack.

I'm not convinced that Pardew has the ability to get this to work though.

If Pardew can't make it work they'll sack him. Interesting to hear noises of him being under pressure on quest yesterday. Recently getting the club to spend - even money that they've made off sales - has been like getting blood out of a stone & I can't see him getting more than 8 games if he's making a mess of it.

Make or break time really.

Weren't they just going off what they'd heard from fans? I cannot for one second believe that Quest have an inside scoop at Newcastle, when thus far they've been famously tight lipped with the media.

Weren't they just going off what they'd heard from fans? I cannot for one second believe that Quest have an inside scoop at Newcastle, when thus far they've been famously tight lipped with the media.

I think they'll be putting it about to be honest. Not so much an inside scoop per se but I reckon he's going to be on thin ice & there will be a replacement lined up. Possibly Gaultier who was mooted to have been approached not long ago.

What I've read about Janmaat is quite the opposite of what you've read Fish. He was being lauded for his attacking but not so much for his defending. If that is the case then it doesn't fit in with your principle of letting the attackers off with defensive work.

I would also say that Colback was an oppertunistic signing as he's a Newcastle fan and was out of contract. I'm not sure he has any great range of passing yet (the tramps certainly seem to suggest not) so I'm not convinced he's part of any great plan there either.

The attacking players I do agree with though and I think this is part of an actual plan to replace the creativity of one player (Cabaye) with more creativity and movement from our entire attack.

I'm not convinced that Pardew has the ability to get this to work though.

In 30 league games, he scored twice and created five assists - showing the attacking threat he offers from full-back.

He also had an 81 per cent pass completion ratio and 85 per cent tackle success rate - both higher than the player he is replacing, Debuchy, enjoyed in the Premier League last season.

Although he is not the biggest defender in the world, he is decent in the air and is unlikely to be muscled off the ball.

I was going off this from the Daily Mail "scout" report, perhaps it's better for me to say defensively capable, rather than defensively minded?

Colback has, in the pre-season so far, seemed to be to be far more comfortable with searching balls than either Anita or Sissoko and better at them than Tiote.

I think they'll be putting it about to be honest. Not so much an inside scoop per se but I reckon he's going to be on thin ice & there will be a replacement lined up. Possibly Gaultier who was mooted to have been approached not long ago.

I can't see anything short of imminent relegation resulting in an early trip to the job centre for Pardew.

I don't believe Pardew has much say on who we sell or buy.

If there is a change in approach it will be forced by the new personnel rather than anything the manager has purposely instigated.

I agree, but I was wondering; if this recruitment drive is Charnley's work, could it lead to changes in the backroom staff as well? New coaches asked to work alongside Pardew, but essentially transforming the way we play from there?

Hopeful thinking I suppose.

The fact he hasn't been peddled despite some of his unwanted records suggests to me that he's on pretty steady ground.

Below is where I think I got my main impression of Janmaat. It's from the Chronicle when we signed him.

Daryl Janmaat of the Netherlands

Newcastle United fans are getting “like for like” as Daryl Janmaat prepares to replace Mathieu Debuchy.

The Dutch full-back loves to get forward according to the Chron’s Eredivisie pundit Will Burns.

Burns runs the successful TotalDutchFootball.com website and has watched Janmaat’s progress in the last few years.

And he told ChronicleLive: “Janmaat is an attacking right-back that Toon fans will notice instantly that he is a similar player to the outgoing Mathieu Debuchy.

“The 24-year-old always has the desire to surge forward, and will look to overlap the winger or cut inside to look to play the best ball possible.

“However, unlike most forward thinking full-backs, Janmaat can cover well in defence.

“His great pace helps him catch the opposition if the possession has been lost, and he has been known to slide in a great recovery tackle to halt tricky playmakers in their stride.”

2013 Getty Images Newcastle United defender Mathieu Debuchy

Newcastle United defender Mathieu Debuchy

But Janmaat can also roll his sleeves up and get involved in the rough stuff too according to Burns.

He said: “If needed, he is also quite capable in the air to cut out those long balls. He is physically strong, so he should cope well with the hustle and bustle of the Premier League and keep the ball when battling shoulder to shoulder with the opposition’s winger.

“Attacking is where the Magpies will see the benefits of Janmaat.

“Last season for Feyenoord, he created 36 chances for Feyenoord, in which five of them became assists and as well as notching twice in 40 appearances.

A fantastic defender he is not, although he is solid and very reliable and if a partnership is created a cautious right wide man, we could see a successful career on Tyneside.”

The Feyenoord right-back is on Tyneside and Newcastle are expected to complete the signing of the defender.

He's expected to be a like-for-like replacement for Mathieu Debuchy

He was due to complete the move on Monday but was unwell after flying back from the World Cup in Brazil.

I remember when NUFC appointed Fat Sam. There were question marks over his ability to change his style of play. IIRC he stated he would have loved to play more attractive football when at Bolton, but he didn't have the "right resources" back then, so it would change at NUFC. Well we all know the outcome ...

My point: Pardew is the same stupid stubborn twat as Allardyce. Over the years he's constantly been saying how his teams "always play on the front-foot", which is basically utter crap as we've only done that for one season (2011-12).

I'd say we'll win more games next season simply because of more individual class (Cabella, De Jong etc.), not because of Pardew changing his philosophy.

Newcastle United fans are getting “like for like” as Daryl Janmaat prepares to replace Mathieu Debuchy.

Putting together a welcome care package. Should I be including workable wax or pomade?

If Pardew can't make it work they'll sack him. Interesting to hear noises of him being under pressure on quest yesterday. Recently getting the clu

b to spend - even money that they've made off sales - has been like getting blood out of a stone & I can't see him getting more than 8 games if he's making a mess of it. Make or break time really.

Ashley has his structure in place and he's not going to change it.

These players signings are no different to 18 months ago they only do it when they have to.