League Cup 2014/15

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we not sign a keeper who is sat twiddling his thunbs because he is out of contract.

As long as there's room within the 25 man squad rule,

any player that was out of contract when previous transfer window closed can be signed and registered to play.

How many of those are around though?

Emergency loan deal for Brad Friedel wouldn't be the worst thing to do.

Or perhaps Mourinho fancy Petr Cech to improve the odds for Newcastle against Man Utd

According to physioroom.com.

Krul ankle/foot injury 3 weeks

Alnwick shoulder injury no return date

Elliot hip/thigh injury 3 weeks

That leaves us with Freddie Woodman a 17 year old kid with no first team experience to face the blue pop guzzlers and the Xmas and new years fixtures

If my memory is standing firm to some degree after 82 years of wear & tear, I think that many moons ago Sunderland's youngest first team starter at one point was a 16+ year old goalkeeper called Forster.

If I'm right then perhaps 17 year old Woody might be a better choice than Jak-shit.

Although has was poor and very much at fault for goals, we could have had krul in last nighþ and we'd still have got a spanking

Impossible to say. Yeah, we were shit, but we were mostly shit at White Hart lane last November and Krul somehow kept us in it.

It is my firm belief that age has got nowt to do with it, it's all about skill, ability & confidence at any age.

I'd agree for some outfield positions, but experience & maturity is a massive factor for 'keepers. If Alnwick and Woodman had been recalled from being 1st choice at a Championship/League 1 club I'd say they've the experience regardless of their age. But these kids haven't played competitive football consistently and, as we've already seen, are flappable.

If it comes down to it having to be Woodman on Sunday shirley we have someone with a bit of experience in the Premiership stepping in and taking the goalies jumper. A bit like the old days if the keeper was injured or sent off, don't forget Shearer started playing football as a goalie.

I'd agree for some outfield positions, but experience & maturity is a massive factor for 'keepers. If Alnwick and Woodman had been recalled from being 1st choice at a Championship/League 1 club I'd say they've the experience regardless of their age. But these kids haven't played competitive football consistently and, as we've already seen, are flappable.

Aye I agree experience is more important for keepers than outfielders. That being said I'd still prefer to see Woodman start the derby mind as Alnwick looked completely fucking incapable, the lad couldn't even get his positioning right on two of the goals ffs. Woodman at least seems to be respected in the youth set up (hopefully for more than the fact his dad is a coach) whereas Alnwick already knows this is his last few month at the club.

I'd say that I was disgusted that the FA have decided to prevent us from getting an emergency loan on a bit of a technicality but tbh I expect no less from that fucking shambles.

Might not be popular, but I see the F.A as right here. We have 4 keepers, it's the clubs responsibility to maintain 3 decent keepers. We've had 1 decent keeper since harper went, and he's been in the shop window anyway (krul). Ashley really does know fuck all about a football squad.

Alnwick is fit so will play Sunday after Pardew demolishes him in in the post match interview after Spurs. Instead of being positive he said it was a shame for the players who had "put a shift in" that Alnwick made mistakes.

Pardew in Piss-Poor-Man-Management episode shocker.