League Cup 2014/15

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sissoko's goal.Steve Claridge said on MOTD that it was a good finish ,but concentrated more on how poor the two Man City players were in their attempts at stopping Sissoko.Now if an Arsenal player had scored such a goal........... The penalty we should have had.Any tackle from behind is a free kick,whether you get the ball or not,so why were we not given a pen.Further evidence that ref's cheat.

Edited by essembeeofsunderland

He got no scritinisation post match on MOTD which he would have received if he had given a penalty and red card.He got no Man City players surrounding him which he would have if he had given a pen and shown a red card.He took the easy option knowing he would be given an easier ride than giving a pen and red card..He saw the tackle from behind and didn't give a free kick.

Edited by essembeeofsunderland

Sissoko's goal.Steve Claridge said on MOTD that it was a good finish ,but concentrated more on how poor the two Man City players were in their attempts at stopping Sissoko.Now if an Arsenal player had scored such a goal........... The penalty we should have had.Any tackle from behind is a free kick,whether you get the ball or not,so why were we not given a pen.Further evidence that ref's cheat.

The answers lie in the colours red and white.

• 1 month later...

I got the short straw so am driving...was really looking forward to this but last weekend has made me lose a fair bit of confidence... I think getting Sissoko and Abeid on the pitch together is key, no chance without them iyam..physio room saying Abeid is due back on the 21st so he might stand a chance for tomorrow but this is Pardew we're talking about, not really noted for boldness in selection..

Vurnon Anita to start as a winger? Would like seeing what he can do as winger, he's got a bit pace, good vision, strong work rate, I think he is the perfect Pardew-winger like.

Presumably he will start at right back

Vurnon Anita to start as a winger? Would like seeing what he can do as winger, he's got a bit pace, good vision, strong work rate, I think he is the perfect Pardew-winger like.

What? :lol:

It's a toss-up between that and 'keeper as his best position iyam.

I'm not confident. There's usually a period where the wheels come off entirely with Pardew and I think this week is it. We will then have a period of "digging deep" and "showing character", for which Pardew will thank himself. Limping into January we will buy no new players and thank Mike for not selling too many of the current ones. Happy xmas everybody!

Pardew’s side head to White Hart Lane on Wednesday hoping to reach their first semi-final appearance since they reached the last four in the FA Cup in 2004-05.

The Mapgies are buoyed by a run of just two defeats in 11 outings in all competitions since September and dispensed with Manchester City on their own pitch in the fourth round.

The 53-year-old said: "There is a spring in the step. There are people wondering if they are playing, and what a chance this is.

"It's like going to funfair, I guess, when you are young. You are really looking forward to it because it's going to be exciting, and that's the sense you get."

Pardew, whose ambition is to win a first piece of major silverware for the Newcastle since 1969, must keep enough in reserve for the weekend when arch-rivals Sunderland head for St James' Park on Sunday looking for a fourth successive derby victory.

"We have done well to get ourselves into this position. We have done well in the league, so that sets up that game [the derby)] nicely,” said Pardew, whose men have won at Crystal Palace and City in the last two rounds.

"We had two fantastic results in the cup, beating two Premier League sides just to get to where we are. We are now going to try and take this opportunity. It's about grasping it.

"I have played in quarter-finals before and there is just extra meaning to it. You just sense it. You are close, you are eight teams away.

"I can feel the squad bubbling under in terms of the excitement and looking forward to the two games.

"Look, the derby is a Premier League game and an important one. We are all aware of that. It carries more significance in this area, and maybe in the football world because of the fixture's history.

"But you know, a quarter-final of the League Cup doesn't come around too often for this club - and for Spurs, by the way - so both clubs know it's an important game.

"If I am honest, it is good to have a focus on something else. I think this distraction in the week is a good thing."