The bars of Newcastle

Anorthernsoul

Over the past year there seems to have been a whole load of new bars rear their heads in the city, mainly of the Craft beer or Cocktail bar variety. I read that Lola Jeans of Tynemouth are opening on market street soon.

What are your views on city centre drinking these days and will any of the influx of new bars have any longevity?

Getting expensive, I know that much. Some of the newer places are alreet: DATBar is canny enough but not tried a lot of them yet because the cocktail places seem to especially attract a ton of arseholes trying to tap up lasses. Newcastle nightlife is definitely something that's still good to people outside the area but when you've been to a lot of the places more than once, the novelty wears right off. Those craft places like Brew Dog will definitely live on though since there's always plenty of pretentious arseholes who'll refuse to drink lager

That Lola Jeans is going to be where The Godfather was btw.

Bridge Tavern is good. I'm never out in town and couldn't tell you the name of 10 percent of the bars there though, so what do I know? More than the silly cunts that go drinking in them, that's what.

Bridge Tavern is good. I'm never out in town and couldn't tell you the name of 10 percent of the bars there though, so what do I know? More than the silly cunts that go drinking in them, that's what.

Is that the one underneath the bridge?

Yeah, I got messy drunk in there a couple of years ago and bumped into llambias a bit later on and could barely speak.

Didn't it only get done up about a year ago? Used to be Fever. It is pretty good either way.

I see Offshore's been done out and looks similar to the Bridge. And Popolo's supposed to be moving into what used to be Jimmyz. It would be nice if they made the Quayside worth going to again.

Of course most of the time when I'm out in the town these days it's after the match so we usually end up in the likes of the Five Swans and Sgt Peppers!

Didn't it only get done up about a year ago? Used to be Fever. It is pretty good either way.

I see Offshore's been done out and looks similar to the Bridge. And Popolo's supposed to be moving into what used to be Jimmyz. It would be nice if they made the Quayside worth going to again.

Of course most of the time when I'm out in the town these days it's after the match so we usually end up in the likes of the Five Swans and Sgt Peppers!

Man alive. :lol:

Used to go to 'Peppers' post-match back in the 90s for a bit and, to be honest, I'm still not sure why. Unless frottage with a 'Kronenbourg' is your cup of char, I don't see the attraction. I was always bemused by the name along with the pictures of The Beatles, Hendrix, The Stones, etc. when all the music was along the lines of Mud's Tiger Feet. Also, there were always loads of posters advertising drinks offers that were never on when you were there. "Half-Price Cocktails 5-7 on Wednesday's" (sic). That type of thing. Quite glad it's still going though.