Other Games 14/15 - Football fans feel the same about stuff, except stuff like Western Sydney Wanderers, because no one gives a shit about them.

Ayatollah Hermione

Maradona scored 5 goals, his partner Valdano scored 4. He didn't single handedly win the World Cup, unless you're talking about the hand he punched a goal in with.

Pele was benched for half of the 1954 WC and played in one of the greatest teams of all time in 1970.

Not denying that they were awesome players, just challenging some of the usual shit that gets trotted out about the pair of them. Messi was an extra time away from winning a World Cup and has won more ballon dors and cups that nearly any player in history

Pele was 13 in 1954. [emoji38]

He didn't play until the USSR game in 1958 and along with Garrincha completely changed things in that tournament for Brazil. Never mind the fact that he was only 17.

1970 is arguably the best team of all time, yet Pele was the star and best player of that team without a shadow of a doubt.

Brazil had also never won a World Cup before Pele and it took them 24 years after he retired to do so again.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maradona was the best I've ever saw, with due respect to Zidane who who class and Messi who could be the best.

This. I never saw Pele live. Maradona is the greatest I've ever watched in a live game without question.

The whole "Best player of all time" argument is void because it is purely subjective, most played in a different generation and a lot of opinions are twisted due to how likeable a player is or what they have read about them in the past, most haven't even seen them play at a live game.

For me the three best players I've seen play in my lifetime are Fat Ronaldo, Zidane and Messi. All world class players in their own right and all an absolute privilege to watch.

Fat Ronaldo was simply unstoppable in his prime, he literally had ever asset you could ever need as a striker. Fucking brilliant.

Zidane was absolutely majestic, my favourite footballer by a mile. It was like his boots were made of velvet the way he used to caress the football. Unreal.

Messi makes his contemporaries look like schoolboys he is that good, some of the goals he scores would be literally impossible for the majority of the football world. He'll probably get another 500 before he finishes his career aswell.

My opinion is based on videos and documentaries of course, but leaving stats and world cup wins aside for a moment, some of the things Pele did on the field man. That somewhat lazyish close control style making international defenders look like utter idiots. Cant think of anyone since then who'd you draw a direct comparison with him in that respect, in terms of that unique style you know. Not sure how to put it exactly. While we keep hearing on and on about Maradona v Messi.

Edited by aimaad22

The whole "Best player of all time" argument is void because it is purely subjective, most played in a different generation and a lot of opinions are twisted due to how likeable a player is or what they have read about them in the past, most haven't even seen them play at a live game.

Agree with that.

Messi is the best I've seen by quite a margin.

Ronaldo is impressive but doesn't float my boat in the same way, he does things that are incredible, his goalscoring speaks for itself but I've never seen him do something that seemed impossible.

After that , for players I watched a lot, Ronaldinho at his best and Kaka around the time he won World Player of the Year were my favourites.

Take away the 1970 World Cup and most of us will have seen very little of Pele in action.A few seconds/minutes in other World Cups and that's about it.We are seeing more of Messi and Ronaldo than Best,Charlton the makem,Maradona and other superstars put together.Many rave about Duncan Edwards but he played in an era where tv coverage was rare.We can say who is the best we have ever seen but it's impossible to compare say Messi with Pele.The makems did once ask on rtg `Messi or McClean'.Nowt wrong with that due to the amount of tv coverage available on both players.

:lol:

Only one man could shoe horn a story about mackems into a discussion about Pele/Maradonna/Messi/Ronaldo

What a cartoon.

We had to Google it in the pub on Friday night as one out of five had seen a story on the squad but no-one had any idea who we were playing when.

Everyone knew the women were playing in the world cup like.

The people who knew this game was on are as follows.......

1. The British sports journalists who have a vested interest in pretending England games, (especially friendlies), are in any way relevant.

2. Half the Southern English football fans.

3. All of the few hundred Southern English 'No surrender' loons.

4. Every single Irish football fan North and South of the border and 3/4 of the rest of the Irish population who aren't arsed in football.