Sackpardew.com

Happy Face

Easier to make then. Much easier in fact since you admit not enjoying it was also a big factor. Which somewhat disagrees with your earlier inference that it was all about a protest.

It made the decision much easier for me too, as I have admitted before and have never denied. Which is why I'm less inclined to criticise those who still do enjoy it. I think people thinking not going serves some higher purpose are kidding themselves.

I can't really see many people getting much enjoyment football wise this year. I do understand it's about the whole day having a couple of drinks with your mates and a bit of banter. But I could see more enjoyment in going the pub with your mates having a bit of banter and not paying for the privilege of watching the dross that's been served up this year.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easier to make then. Much easier in fact since you admit not enjoying it was also a big factor. Which somewhat disagrees with your earlier inference that it was all about a protest.

It made the decision much easier for me too, as I have admitted before and have never denied. Which is why I'm less inclined to criticise those who still do enjoy it. I think people thinking not going serves some higher purpose are kidding themselves.

Was it the five minute argument you are looking for or the full half hour?

There's a lot of self righteousness about this, people wrar it as a badge of honour, as if the ultimate apathetic gesture will acheive anything. If it was just about the football there would be empty grounds all over the planet. Professional football wouldn't exist in any way, shape or form. And lets face it, that's not happening is it? People follow shite football teams run by utter cunts the world over.

Do I take football any more or less seriously than KCG or trophyshy? If they'd been fully paid up season ticket holders before the Ashley regime took over id certainly respect their stance, but if their attendance record had been patchy at best in the years before 2007 it smacks of growing up a bit or moving away or falling out of love with the game in general in the 21st century or more likely a bit of all 3. Does someone who goes regularly take it more seriously than poor old Stevie who held on as long as he could bare it but threw it in after last season?..thats a trickier one.

For whatever reason, I can't stop going, its far too important to me. I enjoy the people I go with far more than the actual game 99 times out of 100. As I say, it was all about the game I wouldn't be currently sat on the m25 in surrey looking at the arse end of an 18 wheeler. My mate sat next to me missed one away game the season we went down in 09. He says to him to truly appreciate the good times you need to suffer the bad. Is that cliched bollocks or a balanced attitude to supporting any football club?

Alex has been putting words in my mouth here, the naughty scamp. Seeing as I am now getting called out by Paddocklad I am obliged to state my position.

I won't go because I despise the regime and what he has done to the club, including but certainly not limited to, the long term employment and backing of the worst manager since we started in 1992. Here is a multibillionaire who treats our club and its fans like absolute shite and runs it on buttons, seemingly not caring whatsoever about the community, the ambition, the hope, the impact or the legacy of NUFC to the people of Newcastle and the followers of the club. I was a season ticket holder from when I could first afford it until I moved away from the region for personal reasons. Since then I would go to between 5 and 10 games a year. This period in total spans about 20 years. I understand the 'day out' thing, my dad still goes - I cajole him about it but that's it. I don't think he's a cath for going.

The fact the football is not entertaining is not a 'big factor', but certainly worth noting as it is part of the bigger picture. The football is shite because the manager is shite because the owner is shite. I could put up with shite football if I felt there was any hope, pride, direction or meaning to the club.

I haven't criticized those who go, it's their business. All I was saying is I would like to see an empty(ish) stadium as that might lead to some sort of change, but in reality probably not, it's academic anyway as it is obviously never going to happen.

And in any case, Ashley will do what he wants when he wants, the upstarts probably just make him more determined to do it his way.

Edited by trophyshy

There's a lot of self righteousness about this, people wrar it as a badge of honour, as if the ultimate apathetic gesture will acheive anything. If it was just about the football there would be empty grounds all over the planet. Professional football wouldn't exist in any way, shape or form. And lets face it, that's not happening is it? People follow shite football teams run by utter cunts the world over.

Do I take football any more or less seriously than KCG or trophyshy? If they'd been fully paid up season ticket holders before the Ashley regime took over id certainly respect their stance, but if their attendance record had been patchy at best in the years before 2007 it smacks of growing up a bit or moving away or falling out of love with the game in general in the 21st century or more likely a bit of all 3. Does someone who goes regularly take it more seriously than poor old Stevie who held on as long as he could bare it but threw it in after last season?..thats a trickier one.

For whatever reason, I can't stop going, its far too important to me. I enjoy the people I go with far more than the actual game 99 times out of 100. As I say, it was all about the game I wouldn't be currently sat on the m25 in surrey looking at the arse end of an 18 wheeler. My mate sat next to me missed one away game the season we went down in 09. He says to him to truly appreciate the good times you need to suffer the bad. Is that cliched bollocks or a balanced attitude to supporting any football club?

Clichef bollocks.

At the end of the day it's personal to the person who boycotts or attends. Alex and PL allude to people maybe making more of an issue about not going to games to Ashley rather than other factors and I'm sure this is right in some instances, but, some people, and I'm speaking for myself here, feel like there's fuck all they can do about this manky mob who run our club, fuck all bar doing the only thing which will show an instant rejection of them and that is to withold our attendance and cash. I can't call anyone who goes particularly when I'm in a calm mood for a HMHM in his teens/early twenties would've still went but would've kicked up a stink in and around the stadium, then again, I wouldn't have been alone in this. We all have our own breaking points and mine broke a while back. I don't work weekends anymore and when I've been in shifts that allowed it I've always went to games as it's something I enjoy, I enjoy the craic, I enjoy the peeve and I enjoy letting the vocal chords get an airing. If I felt as one with large parts of our support then I'd even consider doing as HF suggests and raining shit on Ashley as well as giving the team some support with some actual proper decent songs and chants but I feel no empathy with loads of our support these days and I'm not the only 'older' head to say it either. I read about stewards confiscating stuff from fans before the turnstiles and putting them in binbags and it seemed to just be accepted albeit reluctantly. I never heard of blazing rows, I never heard of pushing or shoving or people standing their ground, (a lot easier when you've had a sup). I never heard of anyone stating their rights etc. Ashley has won, some of our fans are knackers, some aren't happy but put up with it, some just go and blot him out. I look at my money and have the slight satisfaction of not putting it into Mike ashley's NUFC which is a different club to our NUFC. That's all I have. Hope PL enjoys the game tonight, (he will), and I hope we all get our wish and something, somehow, turns up.

Edited by Howmanheyman

Alex has been putting words in my mouth here, the naughty scamp. Seeing as I am now getting called out by Paddocklad I am obliged to state my position.

I won't go because I despise the regime and what he has done to the club, including but certainly not limited to, the long term employment and backing of the worst manager since we started in 1992. Here is a multibillionaire who treats our club and its fans like absolute shite and runs it on buttons, seemingly not caring whatsoever about the community, the ambition, the hope, the impact or the legacy of NUFC to the people of Newcastle and the followers of the club. I was a season ticket holder from when I could first afford it until I moved away from the region for personal reasons. Since then I would go to between 5 and 10 games a year. This period in total spans about 20 years. I understand the 'day out' thing, my dad still goes - I cajole him about it but that's it. I don't think he's a cath for going.

The fact the football is not entertaining is not a 'big factor', but certainly worth noting as it is part of the bigger picture. The football is shite because the manager is shite because the owner is shite. I could put up with shite football if I felt there was any hope, pride, direction or meaning to the club.

I haven't criticized those who go, it's their business. All I was saying is I would like to see an empty(ish) stadium as that might lead to some sort of change, but in reality probably not, it's academic anyway as it is obviously never going to happen.

And in any case, Ashley will do what he wants when he wants, the upstarts probably just make him more determined to do it his way.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth so I apologise for that. I completely respect your position and it's along the same lines as mine to be honest. I probably shouldn't have included you anyway in my earlier comments, as I took issue more with KCG when he said he had no respect for people who went to the match. The reason being that I think it's a bit out of order to have a pop at the likes of Paddock Lad because it's not as black and white as not going = anti-Ashley and going = tacit approval of Ashley. Great post, btw.

@@Kevin Carr's Gloves Not looking for an argument as I can see your point of view too, to be honest

At the end of the day it's personal to the person who boycotts or attends. Alex and PL allude to people maybe making more of an issue about not going to games to Ashley rather than other factors and I'm sure this is right in some instances, but, some people, and I'm speaking for myself here, feel like there's fuck all they can do about this manky mob who run our club, fuck all bar doing the only thing which will show an instant rejection of them and that is to withold our attendance and cash. I can't call anyone who goes particularly when I'm in a calm mood for a HMHM in his teens/early twenties would've still went but would've kicked up a stink in and around the stadium, then again, I wouldn't have been alone in this. We all have our own breaking points and mine broke a while back. I don't work weekends anymore and when I've been in shifts that allowed it I've always went to games as it's something I enjoy, I enjoy the craic, I enjoy the peeve and I enjoy letting the vocal chords get an airing. If I felt as one with large parts of our support then I'd even consider doing as HF suggests and raining shit on Ashley as well as giving the team some support with some actual proper decent songs and chants but I feel no empathy with loads of our support these days and I'm not the only 'older' head to say it either. I read about stewards confiscating stuff from fans before the turnstiles and putting them in binbags and it seemed to just be accepted albeit reluctantly. I never heard of blazing rows, I never heard of pushing or shoving or people standing their ground, (a lot easier when you've had a sup). I never heard of anyone stating their rights etc. Ashley has won, some of our fans are knackers, some aren't happy but put up with it, some just go and blot him out. I look at my money and have the slight satisfaction of not putting it into Mike ashley's NUFC which is a different club to our NUFC. That's all I have. Hope PL enjoys the game tonight, (he will), and I hope we all get our wish and something, somehow, turns up.

Spot on. One of the saddest things in this is the in-fighting which is another victory for Ashley.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth so I apologise for that. I completely respect your position and it's along the same lines as mine to be honest. I probably shouldn't have included you anyway in my earlier comments, as I took issue more with KCG when he said he had no respect for people who went to the match. The reason being that I think it's a bit out of order to have a pop at the likes of Paddock Lad because it's not as black and white as not going = anti-Ashley and going = tacit approval of Ashley. Great post, btw.

@@Kevin Carr's Gloves Not looking for an argument as I can see your point of view too, to be honest

tbh Iwas just being arsey. I just think it's not easy to stop going for a lot of people but "nothing came about which is worthwhile by just doing the easy thing" Tony Benn.

It's people like you who think that football started with Sky in the 90's who are ruining the game ;)

It's people like you who think that football started with Sky in the 90's who are ruining the game ;)

Nice to know my posts get read properly now and then. :lol:

No bother Alex, I think there is a lot of frustration and/or despondancy particularly for fans of about our age as we got a lengthy glimpse (a gander?) of the true potential of the Toon. Perhaps at an age when we were less cynical and our aspirations/reality bubble has burst in a pretty dreadful way. I'm not saying I'd change it, it was awesome - it's just been whitewashed away for corporate greed and arsehole millionaires. We could have stepped up, but we've been stepped on.

I'm curious as to why people think that if 75% of the fans didn't turn up one day, this wouldn't have a major impact on the club. Say it happened for three games. Those three games would be sufficient to force Pardew out, if not make Ashley start looking around himself. Think of the revenue he'd be missing out on - it'd be an absolute disaster for the club. It would have an effect, and the fans would be forcing change. How long do you think the club could honestly hold out against action on that scale? No business could.

I'm not criticising anyone for going, I think it's a waste of time not to do so, given that there isn't enough widespread support to actually get the numbers up to anything meaningful (and obviously people derive enjoyment from non-footballing sides to it) - but people shouldn't delude themselves into thinking that a proper mass walkout/non attendance wouldn't give the club something to seriously fucking think about. It'd be a major concern.

Part of the reason a walk out is dismissed is that a lot of the match going fans have already bought their tickets, and while they may want a better owner, they also still enjoy the Match Day experience. You're not just asking them to give up watching their team ( no great loss), you're asking then to miss out on all the extras that come with it.

If SPDC could organise a large screen to show a televised game and get people to attend that instead of, say, a Sunday game, you might get a better take up?

Ha! Skysports saying "Is Pardew due an apology?", errr, because he drew against Hull and then won against Crystal Palace reserves??? Hmm, I think he needs to do just a little bit more to make up for the extreme relegation form we've played since last Chrimbo.

Ultimately it will obviously come down to results, doesn't matter how many banners get into the ground, if we start picking up points again he'll be going nowhere, so there's really not much more they can do.

They've managed to make the national press recognise and report on the sheer amount of Pardew out feeling amongst our support though, which wasn't anyway near as obvious to outsiders as it is now, and they couldn't have organised things any better other than maybe the timing of the 5 minute protest, which I understand their reasons for going with anyway.