£9.7m Lottery twat gets legal aid

Jimbo

£9.7m lotto winner gets legal aid

Millionaire lotto winner Michael Carroll has been granted legal aid to fight a court case next week.

The ex-binman, who won £9.7m in the lotto, is accused of affray and is due before Norwich Crown Court on Monday.

A government spokeswoman confirmed Carroll, 22, of Downham Market, Norfolk, had been granted legal aid.

But she said it was "a matter for course" for it to be awarded initially, but the cash can be reclaimed later on the orders of a judge.

A Legal Services Commission spokesman said: "A means test for receiving legal aid in criminal cases is due to be introduced this year, as part of the Criminal Defence Service Bill, which is currently before Parliament.

"This means testing will ensure that those who can afford to pay for their own legal defence do so. The criminal legal aid means test will first be rolled out in Magistrates' Court and then Crown Court."

A spokeswoman for the Department for Constitutional Affairs said legal aid was granted automatically so there was no delay in the legal process.

"It is more or less a matter of course in a criminal case like this. This case is no different," she said.

"When he was arrested how was the court to know he's a millionaire or not? They investigate after the charges have been made. They send a legal aid certificate so there is no delay in the legal process."

She added a court official would then investigate the defendant's means and a judge can order the costs to be recovered.

"The money goes to his solicitor and not to him and I do not think any money has been paid out yet," he added.

what a fucking disgrace.

How's it a disgrace? He'll almost certainly have to repay the money:

the cash can be reclaimed later on the orders of a judge.

Plus the system is changing and will be means-tested this year. Unfortunately that will probably mean anyone who earns more than a fiver an hour will have to pay for legal protection though.

Mind you, I take it this is the same Michael Caroll that is a chav scumbag, isn't it? That's the problem with lottery - it doesn't descriminate on grounds of worthiness.

NYHETER-15s08miljonar.jpg

Plus the system is changing and will be means-tested this year. Unfortunately that will probably mean anyone who earns more than a fiver an hour will have to pay for legal protection though.

Mind you, I take it this is the same Michael Caroll that is a chav scumbag, isn't it? That's the problem with lottery - it doesn't descriminate on grounds of worthiness.

81221[/snapback]

Its a disgrace that people in a financial position such as Mikey Carroll or El Hadj Diouf should receive ANY financial help from he judicial system, whether it be for reclaimed or not, the principles of the system are totally flawed in my opinion.

81221[/snapback]

Its a disgrace that people in a financial position such as Mikey Carroll or El Hadj Diouf should receive ANY financial help from he judicial system, whether it be for reclaimed or not, the principles of the system are totally flawed in my opinion.

81226[/snapback]

I agree, but the system is being reviewed with this in mind.

Would it not be better that the odd rich bloke slips through the system, and temporarily gets his fees paid, than that people who actually need the cash have to wait for it/end up paying it themselves when they can't afford it?

Would it not be better that the odd rich bloke slips through the system, and temporarily gets his fees paid, than that people who actually need the cash have to wait for it/end up paying it themselves when they can't afford it?

81231[/snapback]

I would have thought so personally.