The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Horrible to read what happened to Philip Hughes this morning. In an Induced coma after brain surgery was needed after being struck on the head by a bouncer despite wearing a helmet.

In an induced coma and cannot breath on his own so he is on a ventilator. The ball hit a major artery in the back of his head which has prevented blood circulating through his brain. Doesn't look good at all I'm afraid, he may not pull through.

Edited by Ken

Phillip Hughes was on the verge of regaining his Test spot in next week's game against India. Word was he was going to get a start if Michael Clarke was going to be ruled out through injury as is expected. And yes, Sean Abbott must be a complete wreck because of this. He is not to blame, and Phil Hughes, if he were still here, would want the game to continue and flourish so the cricketing calender must carry on.

freak accident like. no one to blame, obviously.

there's already been a bit of chatter about whether cricket helmets offer enough protection but this is a one in a million accident. i don't see how they could be produced so that part of the head is protected too.

freak accident like. no one to blame, obviously.

there's already been a bit of chatter about whether cricket helmets offer enough protection but this is a one in a million accident. i don't see how they could be produced so that part of the head is protected too.

You're right there. But noone knows how Sean Abbott is feeling tonight, nobody except himself. Very good bowler and only 22, in terms of his cricket career he had the world at his feet. What damage this has done to him only time will tell. I seriously feel for him as I do Phillip Hughes's family. What this does for our cricket team is even more unpredictable. Obviously I hope it makes them stronger.

And no, there isn't any protection that would have saved Phillip Hughes from this incident. But alarmists will shout loud as usual and get their way I would suspect. Further limits on bouncers, extra padding etc etc which do nothing to prevent a freak incident.

Most sport carries some risk but this really is a freak accident. I suspect the cricket world will react accordingly and not change the rules while newspaper columnists continue to be paid to speculate as to whether helmets and rules need to be changed.

Most sport carries some risk but this really is a freak accident. I suspect the cricket world will react accordingly and not change the rules while newspaper columnists continue to be paid to speculate as to whether helmets and rules need to be changed.

I've not been following this story closely at all, but I saw on the BBC website that Hussein has called for greater protection for Batsmen. I agree with Ken (I know, right?!) that this is a completely freak accident and while rushing to demand greater safety measures might feel like you're doing something, you're not. We should mourn the loss, celebrate the player and play the game.

Terrible terrible news :( Absolute freak accident too. Hope this Abbot lad is able to pull through, everybody can continue to tell him it wasnt his fault, and logically he'll know it too. But you cant stop the mind from wandering under such circumstances.

absolutely tragic. thoughts go out to phil hughes family and abbot. i dont think it calls for a kneejerk reaction from the authorities in terms of the bouncer although obviously emotions will be running high. hughes was a good blpke by all accounts, not one of those prima donna types. RIP