The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bresnan and Sidebottom have been grinding this out for what seems like an eternity.  Bet Frank goes first ball when they come back on.

Rushworth has just left Richardson stranded on 99 for Durham against Hampshire.  Looks like Hampshire are going to be relying on the Warwickshire/Lancashire result going their way now as I don't look like they're going to have the time to set a score and then bowl Durham out.

I see Chris Rogers has retired after getting two centuries in his final match for Somerset. Not a bad way to leave the game. Looks like the Middlesex v Yorkshire match at Lord's could well be a draw too (although they'll obviously try and manufacture a result if they can) meaning Somerset could be on course for their first County Championship.

You'd think Middlesex would have to start trying to smash it shortly and set up a position for a win.  It's meandering a bit at the minute though.  Surely neither team is going to come off wondering.

I suppose both sides might think that if you can't win you try and make sure you don't lose. I think the difference in prize money between 2nd and 3rd is quite a lot, especially to your average county player. I think if there's a result in this match the winner takes the title but the losers would end up third.

I suppose both sides might think that if you can't win you try and make sure you don't lose. I think the difference in prize money between 2nd and 3rd is quite a lot, especially to your average county player. I think if there's a result in this match the winner takes the title but the losers would end up third.

Aye that's what would happen with a result.  I would like to think that the Middlesex players will want to win for the sport more than the money but you never know.

Looks they've come up with a plan to give Middlesex a chance to score runs now.  Lythe is chucking them up for them to hit boundaries.

Yorkshire's only real chance of winning is for Middlesex to get their runs quite quickly and declare.

It's an amazing climax. I wonder if it's ever happened before. It must be rare enough for both sides in the final match being crowned champions if they beat their closest rivals but even more so with a draw seeing a third team win.

Crowd don't seem massively happy with what they're doing.  I'm sure Somerset are a lot less happy though.

It happens fairly regularly though, i.e. 'declaration bowling'. Used to be even more common when were more matches and they were all 3 day games.

It happens fairly regularly though, i.e. 'declaration bowling'. Used to be even more common when were more matches and they were all 3 day games.

It's resulting in quite a funny finale to this innings as Lees has just took two wickets through tossing up piss easy balls to the batsmen.  He looks quite embarrassed.

Should be an exciting innings for Yorkshire.

I'm not into cricket but was saddened to hear Max Walker passed today.
Everyone speaks highly of him, which is unusual for a sports person.

He died from melanoma, which I'm amazed more cricketeers don't suffer from.

RIP Tangles.

The punishment for Durham is ridiculous.  Even ignoring that a large part of the problem has come from them developing their ground into a test venue at the ECB's request, effectively punishing them for the next two seasons and taking away one of their biggest opportunities to bring money in by stripping them of their test status, is just ridiculous.

I don't believe they would have punished Yorkshire or Warwickshire (who's debts are far higher) anywhere near as harshly.

Good to see Botham getting involved though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sick and tired of the lack of consistency shown by our batting lineup.

I like it, it makes watching and listening to the cricket more enjoyable imo. It got boring those years when England was walloping everyone and racking up massive scores all the time - this is more like it was back in the 90s, when you always suspected a collapse then hopefully-not-in-vain heroic rearguard response was round the corner. This could be an interesting tour, especially since there already seems to be a bit of needle with the Bangladeshis  :up:

Bit of trivia: All England's XI have a first class century to their name. Batty is down to come in at no. 11 and averages just under 24 in first class cricket.

Incidentally, I thought that Jonathan Agnew in his BBC column made a good point when he said there wasn't much point in taking Hameed if they weren't going to play him. Although I suspect they might think he's a bit too similar in style to Cook.