The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Buttler back in for Ballance for me in the next game, with the middle order all shuffling up a spot to let him play a pressure free counter punching role at seven. Bairstow looks to have a much better all round batting game and I think would be absolutely fine at 5 or 6.

Anyone watching? They don't come much more gripping than this. Bangladesh seeking their maiden victory against England in tests are 243-8, need 43 more to win. 8 overs remaining, light fading. Broad finding some reverse swing.

Ah got to feel a bit for them. They hadn't played a test match for 15 months but took it to the wire. They finally look like a test outfit - at least at home, in those conditions.

I woke up about ten past five this morning and caught the end of it (not sure he wasn't offering a shot).  What a good test match it was.  I think they'll still struggle away from home where they need a seem attack but at home now they certainly look like a proper team.  It would be really good to see them get a win against a top test playing nation, just as long as it's not us.

Stokes was superb, it's ridiculous that he's not ranked as the number one test all rounder now.  Looking at the top ten (of which we have four), I'm not really sure how many of them really are all rounders mind (Broad, Starc and Herath are in there).

Aye you used to think he could get a decent score but now he looks like a bowler and nothing else.  Woakes and Ali are much closer but Stokes is probably the only player in the top ten all rounders who could legitimately get in the team as a batsman or a bowler (I suppose Ali can as well but he's only really in for bowling because of a lack of decent options).

Of course he is but what DK is referencing is more down to our lack of options in the spin department.

yeah, i got that, sherlock. 

moeen is definitely still a batter who bowls a bit but i think rashid is the other way around, so arguably could have more chance of eventually becoming our frontline spinner, if he improves his consistency. though he's a pretty solid number 8 with the bat as well. 

woakes was arguably a genuine all rounder on last summer's performances and could bat as high as 7. if he can keep it up he could become as valuable as stokes. 

i've never known an england team to have so many players competent in both disciplines though i think that's a reflection of where the game is going.  players are generally way more athletic now and expected to work hard at all areas of the game - you don't get many traditional number 11s these days who are just walking wickets. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Obviously missed out on the glory days when you had the likes of Richard Ellison, Daffy Defreitas and Derek Pringle accompanying the all-round talents of I. T. Botham

remeber tuffers with the bat and in the field? you wouldn't get away with that these days. that's one of the main reasons monty lost his way in the modern game. well, that and pissing on a bouncer. 

yeah, i got that, sherlock. 

moeen is definitely still a batter who bowls a bit but i think rashid is the other way around, so arguably could have more chance of eventually becoming our frontline spinner, if he improves his consistency. though he's a pretty solid number 8 with the bat as well. 

woakes was arguably a genuine all rounder on last summer's performances and could bat as high as 7. if he can keep it up he could become as valuable as stokes. 

i've never known an england team to have so many players competent in both disciplines though i think that's a reflection of where the game is going.  players are generally way more athletic now and expected to work hard at all areas of the game - you don't get many traditional number 11s these days who are just walking wickets. 

Yeah I think Ali is selected as a bowler but the reality is, he's more of a batsman who can bowl.  So he could get picked as either but only as a bowler because we're so short of options.  Stokes could get into the team as a genuine batsman or a genuine bowler.  Either way he's a great asset to have.

I don't think Woakes would ever get into the team as a batsman (unless he can keep on improving the way he has in the last year or so) but he's doing a very good job down the order these days.

Obviously missed out on the glory days when you had the likes of Richard Ellison, Daffy Defreitas and Derek Pringle accompanying the all-round talents of I. T. Botham

Ellison was a bit before my time but I take it you're joking comparing Defreitas and Pringle to the current crop of all rounders

Yeah I think Ali is selected as a bowler but the reality is, he's more of a batsman who can bowl.  So he could get picked as either but only as a bowler because we're so short of options.  Stokes could get into the team as a genuine batsman or a genuine bowler.  Either way he's a great asset to have.

I don't think Woakes would ever get into the team as a batsman (unless he can keep on improving the way he has in the last year or so) but he's doing a very good job down the order these days.

yeah, i'd go along with that for now, but he was scintillating with the bat and ball last summer. i wasn't blown away by him when he first broke into the side but he'll be some player if he can keep that form up.  

they say a genuine all rounder should have a batting average over 30 and a bowling average below it. he's currently 33 with the bat and 26 with the ball. 

Ellison was a bit before my time but I take it you're joking comparing Defreitas and Pringle to the current crop of all rounders

If Daffy was playing in the current setup he'd probably be averaging what Woakes is now. Victim of his time iyam.

yeah, i'd go along with that for now, but he was scintillating with the bat and ball last summer. i wasn't blown away by him when he first broke into the side but he'll be some player if he can keep that form up.  

they say a genuine all rounder should have a batting average over 30 and a bowling average below it. he's currently 33 with the bat and 26 with the ball. 

His improvement has been vast over the last 12 months.  I'll be really interested to see how he goes against India.  I know Pakistan are right up in the test rankings but they don't have a great record away from home so India will be the first of the real top teams he's played since coming into this form.  If he can perform against them then people will really take notice of him.

If Daffy was playing in the current setup he'd probably be averaging what Woakes is now. Victim of his time iyam.

comparing eras is tricky. i reckon stewart, gooch and atherton would have averaged closer to than 50 than 40 if they'd played the game today as well.