The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Daffy was playing in the current setup he'd probably be averaging what Woakes is now. Victim of his time iyam.

Aye, it was a tongue-in-cheek but he was a decent test player (the other two were very good players also, albeit at county level and Ellison wasn't really an all-rounder although he was touted as such when he first broke into the side). When you look at Defreitas' figures and the side he played in he had a good record. He was a pretty useful lower order batsman too and a good one day player. England were canny shit during his test career.

comparing eras is tricky. i reckon stewart, gooch and atherton would have averaged closer to than 50 than 40 if they'd played the game today as well. 

If Gooch hadn't gone on that rebel tour he probably would've done anyway. I think he averaged over 50 in the 2nd half of career. So long as he wasn't facing Terry Alderman.

Aye there's a few who would have averaged more, Gooch and Thorpe spring to mind straight away.

I'm listening to Tuffers and Vaughan now, they're being pretty scathing about Rashid, and also the field placings they're setting for him. Sounds like the doubters on here are absolutely right - they don't seem to rate him at all. Sounds like they're expecting England to get a howking in the India series! 

bit of a head scratcher as to why finn is playing. do you even need three seamers on these pitches. i'd have rather played batty and gone with four spinners. 

Taylor was saying the other day that Finn is very underrated with his ability to reverse the ball.  Maybe that's the reason.  I'm probably more surprised they rested Broad rather than Woakes who also played in the ODI's.

Get up Mo.

Yes I think that's it - it must be pretty sapping for a seamer over there, and to play 5/6/7 tests on those pitches must be soul destroying, especially against Indian batters.

Bit of a collapse by Bangladesh before tea there. I hope their tail wags a bit to get them something to bowl at, but I have a feeling not winning that last match will have smashed their resolve. They won't get a better chance to beat a top team in a test for a while. Got a feeling this match might be a bit of a walkover for England. 

Think this pitch will deteriorate quite a bit so they will have the best of it.  Even if we bowl them out for a low ish score, I don't think it will be easy.

I understand about the rotation and the seamers work load but I just think Woakes is going to have the biggest load now (apart from Stokes).  Unless they think they're more likely to leave him out for a match against India.

Aye piece of piss!

were only 170 runs behind. only need a couple of decent partnerships. get through till lunch with the loss of one wicket and we'll be right back in the mix. 

Wow, you're up early (or late).

I haven't watched it this morning but it sounds like it's an old fashioned subcontinental turner and our lot are struggling.

Struggling again to understand why we have picked so many steamers. We might struggle to get a first innings lead now root has gone.

Edited by Dr Gloom