The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@@Alex

it's a featherbed, with little in it for the bowlers, designed to go the full five days, bringing in as much money as possible for the chief executive at the expense of the game a spectacle.

It's not that type of pitch at all. Cracks are starting to appear and there's certainly some nibble in their for the seamers.

It's not that type of pitch at all. Cracks are starting to appear and there's certainly some nibble in their for the seamers.

I was just explaining to Alex what a CEO pitch is. Been away at a conference so haven't seen any of it

Aye looks like the rumours of them preparing raging turners weren't true. I was speaking to an Indian mate last night who said the trend in the last few years for touring teams is that they've managed to post good first innings scores but then got steamrollered in the second innings when it starts taking spin. If England get a lead it could be an interesting match - still loads of time left in it

Two late wickets there might just change things a little.

Yes that's a cracking effort by England to keep going and get them 4 down. 2-3 wickets in the morning session and England might well end up with a lead. However I think that would rule out the possibility of a result cos I can't see Cook going for a sporting declaration. I reckon the only chance of a result now is if India's batsmen give it some cakey tomorrow and end up with a slim lead sometime around  tea, followed by an England collapse on what might be a more helpful pitch by then.

Holy crap. This young opener is nineteen. Its a year for nineteen-year-old's after that young Bangladeshi spinner tore the crap out of your lot a few weeks ago. Hope he gets a hundred. Can't be many teenage debutants to score a hundred in Test cricket.

(Please; no comments on Australia. Woeful)

Excellent first test from England. Shame they ran out of time in the end but should put a bit of doubt in some of the Indian players' minds that this series won't be a walkover. Good to see the young kid opening get a few runs. Rashid looked quality from what I saw. Much more consistent than against Bangladesh

I'm glad to see Rashid making a big impact. Hopefully he feels like he's trusted now and can crack on from here. Certainly gives us something different.

Was tense as fuck watching it this morning like.

Over the last couple of years they've probably had more collapses than us.  Their batting line up looks really shaky.  Smith and Warner are clearly quality players but there's question marks over Khawaja (although he's looked a good player of the last year or so when I've seen him in various formats) and likes of the two Marsh's, Voges, Nevil and Burns don't look good enough to me.  They gave a debut to a 31 year old in this last match too and he averaged 2 I think.  They've lost a lot of good players in the last few years (Clarke, Rogers, Johnson, Harris, Haddin, Watson etc) and they seem like they're struggling to replace them and it doesn't look like a great sign that they're bringing in players in their 30's as their replacements.  Think they might bring a few younger players in for the third test.

Watson was quality, but he was shifted around too much in the batting line-up. He averaged about 40 as an opener in tests which shows he could bat. He was a really useful tight bowler as well. Not to mention his ability in the shorter formats of the game. He wasn't very good at reviewing though :lol: