The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He'd be sent there for life.

We are quite particular of who we let into the country these days, and we have enough louts in this country to accept another one.

2 hours ago, Ken said:

Bit of a catch 22 situation isn't it. If he tours he will cop an enormous amount of shit here, and the media will target him and make it about him rather than the team. That vid with him taking the piss out of that disabled kid will not have helped his cause. Think if he toured he'd crumble mentally.

I actually think he'd quite enjoy the stick.  It's just a case of making sure he's not allowed out by himself at night.

14 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I actually think he'd quite enjoy the stick.  It's just a case of making sure he's not allowed out by himself at night.

There is banter/stick and there is shit, he would be getting the latter. I could be wrong but taking him would be a distraction for the team. It's not like he is the GOAT in English cricket, or have we slumped to desperate measures now?

No, not the GOAT but he's a genuine, quality all rounder - a match winner with both bat and ball, who balances the team-  and those players don't come around very often, as Australia know all too well. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

No, not the GOAT but he's a genuine, quality all rounder - a match winner with both bat and ball, who balances the team-  and those players don't come around very often, as Australia know all too well. 

I don't judge tbh. People who don't even know cricket or sport want him banned from the country. :lol: Fuckwits.

If this sorts itself out and Morgan's assertions are correct then he'll play, and you need him to make this series somewhat competitive.

Off to see Graeme Swann and Bloers' theatre tour in Durham tomorrow night.

If it's any good Bloers is at the Playhouse in Whitley next year so I might head to that as well. 

• 1 month later...

England narrowly avoided the indignity of going wicketless on the final day of their last Ashes warm-up game against a Cricket Australia XI in Townsville.

We're absolutely desperate for a fit Mark Wood. 

Couldn't believe Jimmy mad the final XI like. His average down under is nothing special at all. Still think that this will be a series too far for him, hopefully I'm wrong though. 

Don’t think broad will get many either tbh. We’ve picked a squad full of line and length swing bowlers who are great at home. Bonkers that we didnt pick any genuine pace bowlers 

Plunkett? Why isn’t he in the mix? He can bowl at 90mph and is a decent number 9 with the bat. 

Weve been unlucky with Finn’s form and injury and Wood too. But I question why the selectors didn’t try to blood a fast bowler in the summer series they knew the ashes tour was coming up and that Aussie conditions demand something different. I suppose they were hoping Roland Jones would have done a lot of the donkey work  but he’s crocked too 

Think I read somewhere earlier that Wood has been training with the Squad.  If he can prove his fitness I would think there's a chance he can play some part down the line.

I'm really looking forward to this now, I've got Thursday and Friday off so I can sit up and watch it this week.  I'd love to see us shut those mouthy twats up.

Nathan Lyon giving it the big un :lol:

They’re a bit like us. A couple of quality batsmen and a lot with it all to prove. Their attack on Home soil we decide the series. We haven’t the right mix of bowling attack for the conditions, unfortunately. Still we’ve won four out of the last five ashes series so we shouldn’t be shitting ourselves just yet.

I think when you look at the two teams they're pretty evenly matched and if anything we have the better batsmen (after Smith, Warner, Cook and Root pretty much cancel each other out).  The conditions, the unavailability of Stokes and the ball gives them the edge but if we're mentally stronger than we were last time it should be a good series.

The crack about mentality and mind games and the like from them is pretty laughable really given they'd have lost 5-nowt 4 years ago if you'd swapped Harris and Johnson for any two of our bowlers.

doesn't look amazing on paper like, does it? woakes is the one bowler i hope will puff his chest out. he was bowling close to 90mph the summer before last. just have to hope he can recapture that form after his injury problems. i thought they'd play overton given ball has barely played a warmup game. 

England team: Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Joe Root (capt), Dawid Malan, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, Jake Ball, James Anderson.