The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Hazlewoods tache is one of a fifteen year old kid. Me gran has more hair on her top lip. 

I guess the predictions about the pitch must be very different on channel 9 to BT. Pontin, Fleming and Gilchrist were all saying they expect it to get quicker tonight. 

:lol: His would be worse than my effort if I tried to grow one. I have always gone by the rule that if it looks like bum fluff get rid.

The downpour today would have dampened the pitch more, but who am I to argue against Ponting, Gilchrist and Fleming.

England's middle order and tail end didn't appreciate the bodyline tactics forced by the slow pitch. Broad looked like he was shitting himself. :lol:

Lyon turned the ball a mile so that is pretty ominous for England's second dig given the amount of left-handers in the side. I guess before the game started if England were offered 302 runs in their first innings then they would have gratefully taken it.

Anderson and Broad started well and were piling on the pressure. Usman can't play spin so bold move to use Ali as first change and it paid off.

Our two best batsmen at the crease now so the next hour is critical.

Finely poised again. Another cliched big first session tomorrow. If smith’s still there at lunch, advantage Australia. Take a wicket and you’re into the tail with the new ball not too far away. 

Plenty of thunderstorm forecast over the next few days in Brisbane - I’d still take a draw!

shitter than shit, and yet two places above your lot in the test rankings.

if smith bats till tea with some assistance from the lower order, we could well lose. the difference between the two sides so far is your one world class batter is still in, with a big score on the cards - his conversion rate of 50s into tons is excellent and the thing that sets him aside from root.

neither of our two top batsmen got to 50 and none of ours made tons. whichever team is able to post an innings that includes a century is likely to go on to win the game, weather permitting. 

20 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

shitter than shit, and yet two places above your lot in the test rankings.

if smith bats till tea with some assistance from the lower order, we could well lose. the difference between the two sides so far is your one world class batter is still in, with a big score on the cards - his conversion rate of 50s into tons is excellent and the thing that sets him aside from root.

neither of our two top batsmen got to 50 and none of ours made tons. whichever team is able to post an innings that includes a century is likely to go on to win the game, weather permitting. 

Don't get me wrong, we're shit as well ;)

Not convinced of our batting lineup with a heavy reliance on Warner, Smith and a wagging tail as evident by today's proceedings.

Advantage Australia  now weather permitting.

I went to bed with England all over Australia at 209-7 or something!!! Ffs, enthralling test though with plenty of twists and turns to come. Hope Anderson isn’t badly injured because he was making the new ball sing. 

Our hopes rest with Root. He’s got to go big like smith. Try to get a lead north of 250 and do a rain dance. 

49 minutes ago, Ken said:

Twists and turns, eh? :lol:

that’s been the course so far so why assume otherwise? Both teams have had spells on top but neither has dominated yet for long periods 

9 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

that’s been the course so far so why assume otherwise? Both teams have had spells on top but neither has dominated yet for long periods 

Completely agree, not a boring match at all, far from it and it has been up and down all the way through. It is why I love test match cricket between these two countries.

Disappointing to wake up to news that we folded after a close first three days. Not completely surprising either though. We were in the game but never completely on top. Smith will feel he has the upper hand on root 

Demoralising is what comes to mind given the very short turnaround until game 2. Ali has a bad cut to his fore finger and Anderson has a 'sore' shoulder as I understand it. The pitch quickened up and your lot couldn't handle it. Lyon was immense and he has a great record in Adelaide so that is ominous as well.

we have to get a result in the next test, otherwise there's no way back. no one expected us to get anything in brisbane, and at least it was a contest for three days. it's not over yet and playing under lights will hopefully provide the best assistance for anderson and broad we're going to get all tour.

positives

all of the newbies contributed with the bat

anderson and broad looked good

root showed his captaincy is more innovative than cook

the aussie attack wasn't as scary as last time

negatives

anderson and moeen both carrying niggles

ball well down on pace, not threatening at all - get him dropped

woakes looking a shadow of the player he turned himself into before his injuries this year

no one capable of converting 50s into tons

cook looking way off his best - we need him to make runs this series or we've no chance

we need a result in adelaide or it's goodnight vienna

Bairstow is a decent batsmen and needs to bat up the order at 6 or even 5. As for Ball, how shit is he? :lol: Can barely get it up to 135 clicks, you must have somebody else that could come in for him. Too much pressure on Broad and Anderson to get wickets.