The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, Alex said:

I agree like but I'm guessing stamina's an issue, with his age and the lack of 4/5-day experience of late I mentioned but aye, seems better than just playing a medium fast bowler who isn't going to get anything out of the pitches.

got to be worth a punt as we've no wild card bowler. i don't want to write off overton already but he sounds like another classic english bowler who might struggle if it's not swinging or seaming. literally none of our bowlers are suited to getting the best out of conditions at the WACA. give overton a chance in adalaide but if fails, get plunkett on the next flight over!

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

got to be worth a punt as we've no wild card bowler. i don't want to write off overton already but he sounds like another classic english bowler who might struggle if it's not swinging or seaming. literally none of our bowlers are suited to getting the best out of conditions at the WACA. give overton a chance in adalaide but if fails, get plunkett on the next flight over!

Or more likely hope that Mark Wood is fit

So I guess it's fair to say that Kevin Pietersen will never become an English selector. Advocating the removal of a paceman, regardless of how out of depth he is in Ball, for a leg-spinning rookie. :lol:

Crane wouldn't be my choice but he might be as good a bet as Ball.  Despite getting Warner out in the first innings, he looks pretty incapable of taking wickets without a lot of assistance from the batsman, he's not economical and he's not great with the bat.  Crane has got a bit of experience in Australia (although clearly not at this level) and took a few wickets in the warm up games when he covered for Ali.  Personally until Wood can show some fitness I'd give Overton a chance.  If nothing else he's got a better record with the bat.

Bit fishy that Stokes is in NZ. He only chinned a few homophobes man. Get him padded up on the next flight over. Warner only missed a couple of tests of an ashes series for sparking Root out in the walkabout bar.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Bit fishy that Stokes is in NZ. He only chinned a few homophobes man. Get him padded up on the next flight over. Warner only missed a couple of tests of an ashes series for sparking Root out in the walkabout bar.

Has family there and has a few "practice" games arranged if given the green light. No chance that he'll get a recall for the 2nd test, I would be surprised if England do, but he is definitely preparing for the third I reckon.

38 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Wood got a wicket but went for more than 4.5 an over for the Lions against Queensland by the way so you would doubt he's too close at the moment.

They all went for a canny few runs though. Him getting in 15 overs or so will have done his rhythm and fitness the world of good and he's got another fortnight or so. They need something a bit different anyway especially for the WACA. Problem is that he can't do it all on his own.

Last Ashes test at the WACA btw. Bit sad in from a nostalgic pov. It always reminds me of staying up late as a kid listening to TMS for the 86/87 Ashes where you'd hear about the Freemantle Doctor blowing across the ground. That said, that was the last time we escaped without defeat there in a test iirc so possibly not the end of the world from an England pov.

Always used to be but I read it's lost a bit of its venom of late. Think it's  drop-in pitch and they changed the type of pitch used or something. Sabina Park was always well known for being fast (and scary) as were lots of the Caribbean pitches but I think it's only Jamaica that still has that rep as they're more sub-continent type pitches now.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Anderson, Broad, Woakes plus Stokes and Wood in for the Waca? 5 man seam attack or one all rounder too many?

Could always play Stokes as a batsman if he was available.  I'd have him in the line up ahead of Vince or Malan any day even though they both did canny at the Gabba.

20 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Could always play Stokes as a batsman if he was available.  I'd have him in the line up ahead of Vince or Malan any day even though they both did canny at the Gabba.

Agree with this with what I have seen. Stoneman has a bit about him for sure, but Vince and Malan have yet to prove anything. They were batting on a dead wicket in the first innings at the GABBA and in the second innings they lasted, well, not very long.

Root wins the toss and elects to bowl, Smith would have batted. Bit of a gamble but conditions are conducive to swing bowling. Overcast and wind blowing across the wicket. Not as grassy as last year's wicket so will come onto the bat well early on.

Brave decision to bowl. Perhaps not the wisest looking at the pitch, Bowling has looked good. Aussies not getting away from us. Been unlucky not to have picked up at least a couple more wickets.