The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They’ve allowed us to dream haven’t they. Though they say it’s the hope that kills you....

I feel for Malan. He did the hard work and was so close to seeing out the day ... and batting will get easier tomorrow under the sunshine. No sympathy for Vince. After a gritty knock in Brisbane he’s back to gifting his wicket away.

Even if somehow we were to pull it off, and it would go down in history, I’d still have the Aussies as favourites for the series. But the momentum shift would make the series so much more interesting - if it goes the way we all expect we could still end up with a 5-0. 

Got it to just find a way to get through the first session with wickets intact so Root can face the second new ball. 

I just said more or less the same to the lad at work, i.e. it's like supporting Newcastle - it's the faint hope that kills you :lol: Fully expecting to wake up to find it's all over.

Woakes and Root out within the first three overs of play and that was that. 2-0.

Onto the third test at the WACA which is a batting friendly wicket as it happens and not the fierce and fast wicket it used to be so it will be an opportunity for your batsmen to build up a bit of a score and defend it.

hard to see a way back into the series from here. my 4-1 prediction is starting to look optimistic. shame really as this aussie team really isn't that special at all, but then again, neither is this england team - particularly away from home conditions. 

....in home conditions. but then so is ours. their batting lineup is just as vulnerable a ours. i would expect us to win a home series against them if there was one tomorrow, just as i expected us to lose this series. 

it's partially a lack of bowling options - no reliable spinner or proper pace bowlers to give you a chance in places like australia and the subcontinent. but how much of that is the fault of the selectors? why, for example, didn't they show faith with rashid? give him a few more games last summer after he showed some promise? why not consider plunkett - he may not have a long term future at test level but it's horses for courses. 

Swann was saying both Rashid himself and the England set-up consider him to be a white ball bowler. Likes to attack with the men back on the fence.

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

....in home conditions. but then so is ours. their batting lineup is just as vulnerable a ours. i would expect us to win a home series against them if there was one tomorrow, just as i expected us to lose this series. 

it's partially a lack of bowling options - no reliable spinner or proper pace bowlers to give you a chance in places like australia and the subcontinent. but how much of that is the fault of the selectors? why, for example, didn't they show faith with rashid? give him a few more games last summer after he showed some promise? why not consider plunkett - he may not have a long term future at test level but it's horses for courses. 

Our bowling attack collectively is the strongest it's been in years, better than when we played you last time, and they'll be around barring injury of course in two years time. They would do well in England given the fact you have 7 left-handers in your team and Lyon would lap that up and our three quicks working in tandem, I'd be quietly confident that we could get 20 wickets over there.

Batting lineups are fairly even given Bancroft's inexperience, Khawaja's ineffectiveness against spin, and the number 6 spot up for grabs given Handscomb's weaknesses. You'd be favourites and deservedly so but this squad of ours will stick around and develop and it would be a closer  series than the end result that this one will end up being.

26 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

root saying england still 'massively in the series' :unsure:

He needs to say that to keep morale high but I don't see your lot winning a match here, you'll do well to prevent a whitewash tbh.

28 minutes ago, Alex said:

Swann was saying both Rashid himself and the England set-up consider him to be a white ball bowler. Likes to attack with the men back on the fence.

A bit of a concern that you lot don't have an alternative spinning option. Moeen Ali simply doesn't get enough revs onto the ball. Had always been England's strength, you need to find one between now and when we play you on your patch.

your bowlers are very effective in home conditions, it's true. but england's attack looked way more threatening under the lights when it started hooping. there isn't a better attack in the world in english conditions than anderson and broad. but who knows if anderson will still be around in two years time. i agree that the next time you visit us it could be a lot tighter than your last couple of tours. 

45 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

your bowlers are very effective in home conditions, it's true. but england's attack looked way more threatening under the lights when it started hooping. there isn't a better attack in the world in english conditions than anderson and broad. but who knows if anderson will still be around in two years time. i agree that the next time you visit us it could be a lot tighter than your last couple of tours. 

3-2 and 2-1 aren't exactly whitewashes. :lol:

29 minutes ago, Ken said:

3-2 and 2-1 aren't exactly whitewashes. :lol:

It was 3-2 (but it was with the series being over before you won a dead rubber in the final test) and the one before that was 3-0 and only bad light stopped it being 4-0. I would suggest it was tighter than the score suggested in the latter case though. It was 2-1 the time before that which is what you're thinking of I assume.

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

It was 3-2 (but it was with the series being over before you won a dead rubber in the final test) and the one before that was 3-0 and only bad light stopped it being 4-0. I would suggest it was tighter than the score suggested in the latter case though. It was 2-1 the time before that which is what you're thinking of I assume.

Correct. Didn't mention 3-0 because that was fairly comprehensive, but not a whitewash. That fourth test was hampered by the weather and a declaration from us to get a result either way. We are always competitive, even in dead rubbers.

1 minute ago, Ken said:

Correct. Didn't mention 3-0 because that was fairly comprehensive, but not a whitewash. That fourth test was hampered by the weather and a declaration from us to get a result either way. We are always competitive, even in dead rubbers.

Gloom said the last couple of tours so only the 3-0 and 3-2 score lines were relevant though :razz:

Both recent tours of England were over after three tests for the Aussies. The difference between us and you is we stop playing at the same level once the series is won where your lot like to run our noses in it - and our players consistently bend over when all hope is lost where yours seem to scrap hard when there is only pride at stake 

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Both recent tours of England were over after three tests for the Aussies.

2015 series was over after 3 tests and 1 session of the 4th ;)

40 minutes ago, Ken said:

So Stokes has been announced in the ODI squad, is there a chance he'll get a recall in this Test series?

Probably won't even play in the ODIs

51 minutes ago, Alex said:

Probably won't even play in the ODIs

You need him playing in this test series, form or no form. The WACA presents different challenges, you need that extra bowler as will we.

29 minutes ago, Ken said:

You need him playing in this test series, form or no form. The WACA presents different challenges, you need that extra bowler as will we.

I agree but I'm just reiterating what's been said over here, i.e. the ECB's position hasn't changed.