The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

even if we can get another 100+ runs on the board tomorrow? 

....or is the best we can hope for from perth a draw?

i've said it before: this aussie side has some decent bowlers but they're really not that special. will they crumble under substantial scoreboard pressure? 

assuming we can get there. it's the first day england have won with the bat all series. england are still well capable of crumbling to 350 from this position

Edited by Dr Gloom

44 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

even if we can get another 100+ runs on the board tomorrow? 

....or is the best we can hope for from perth a draw?

i've said it before: this aussie side has some decent bowlers but they're really not that special. will they crumble under substantial scoreboard pressure? 

assuming we can get there. it's the first day england have won with the bat all series. england are still well capable of crumbling to 350 from this position

Yes, this is the most likely scenario.

4 minutes ago, Ken said:

No. :lol:

you're probably right, but let's see. we're talking about two very ordinary sides. i still think your lot have a capitulation in them before the series is done. hopefully while it's still alive. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

you're probably right, but let's see. we're talking about two very ordinary sides. i still think your lot have a capitulation in them before the series is done. hopefully while it's still alive. 

Yeah, but yours is more ordinary, having said that let's not get into a debate about who is more shitter though this time. :lol:

The pitch is flat and batting friendly, no sideways movement. There are a few cracks which could bake and open up on the fifth day which could be interesting, but you are still a bowler short I reckon.

I always feel somewhat let down when the boxing day test is a dead rubber so putting up a fight at the WACA is something which I am finding interesting.

Good to see some batsmen (Stoneman and Malan) gut it out under pressure.  I think them two look like they could be decent test players.  Vince not so much.  Stoneman needs to learn how to get out the way of bouncers (not the dog from neighbours) though or he'll never get a century against the Aussies.

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Yeah, but yours is more ordinary, having said that let's not get into a debate about who is more shitter though this time. :lol:

The pitch is flat and batting friendly, no sideways movement. There are a few cracks which could bake and open up on the fifth day which could be interesting, but you are still a bowler short I reckon.

I always feel somewhat let down when the boxing day test is a dead rubber so putting up a fight at the WACA is something which I am finding interesting.

Agree to a point. We’re both less shit than the other in home conditions.

i think you’re probably right about the pitch flattering our batsmen this test. At least  the newbies have dug in again while the likes of cook and root failed. 

But scoreboard pressure does funny things and I reckon you’ve got a collapse in you - even in benign conditions. If we can chalk up 500+ runs, who knows what will happen.

19 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Good to see some batsmen (Stoneman and Malan) gut it out under pressure.  I think them two look like they could be decent test players.  Vince not so much.  Stoneman needs to learn how to get out the way of bouncers (not the dog from neighbours) though or he'll never get a century against the Aussies.

Would like to see Hameed back in the side at some point and Stoneman at 3, Root at 4, with Malan at 5. Bring Stokes back at 6 and it suddenly looks like a pretty strong batting lineup (so long as Malan and Stoneman continue to look the part).

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Agree to a point. We’re both less shit than the other in home conditions.

i think you’re probably right about the pitch flattering our batsmen this test. At least  the newbies have dug in again while the likes of cook and root failed. 

But scoreboard pressure does funny things and I reckon you’ve got a collapse in you - even in benign conditions. If we can chalk up 500+ runs, who knows what will happen.

Well, I think we could challenge you in yours, but we'll agree to disagree until another day.

I am not attempting to denigrate England's efforts today. The pitch was hard and the ball bounced and went through fast and Stoneman and Malan have stood up to it. I said Stoneman had a bit about him after the first test but Malan's ton today was impressive. He can handle it in Australia, and so too Stoneman if he can stay focused.

I don't want to see a whitewash tbh. 3-0 going into the boxing day test is a letdown for all supporters of cricket. So I hope England continue to make a game of it and carry on after a strong first day to make it intersting.

Australia definitely have a better bowling attack (even allowing for conditions). Especially with Wood, Roland-Jones and Finn unavailable (although Wood will probably play in the next two tests). Australia's batsmen would stuggle in English conditions I reckon.

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Australia definitely have a better bowling attack (even allowing for conditions). Especially with Wood, Roland-Jones and Finn unavailable (although Wood will probably play in the next two tests). Australia's batsmen would stuggle in English conditions I reckon.

We're getting closer to a serious challenge in your conditions now.

36 minutes ago, Alex said:

oooh, i dunno like. an overcast day in trent bridge with the ball hooping around, i reckon our attack could exploit the conditions better.

one thing is clear though - their spinner is leagues ahead of ours. 

29 minutes ago, Ken said:

i doubt it, but let's see what happens in a couple of years, when it'll be getting on for 20 years since you last won an ashes series in england. 

46 minutes ago, Ken said:

Bowling attack maybe. The batsmen will be less experienced in English conditions than last time round (when you were supposed to win easily). The lack of tour matches and players not getting county cricket experience means it'll be tough for any touring Australian side. T20's seen to that for the foreseeable.

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Bowling attack maybe. The batsmen will be less experienced in English conditions than last time round (when you were supposed to win easily). The lack of tour matches and players not getting county cricket experience means it'll be tough for any touring Australian side. T20's seen to that for the foreseeable.

Possibly. We'll see when the time comes.

18 minutes ago, Ken said:

Possibly. We'll see when the time comes.

It's getting a bit daft though, don't you think. It's become the biennial swapping of the urn ceremony instead of a fierce contest

25 minutes ago, Alex said:

It's getting a bit daft though, don't you think. It's become the biennial swapping of the urn ceremony instead of a fierce contest

Yes and no tbh. We dominated from 1989 until 2002-03 so that is an argument that the status of play should remain. What you acheived afterwards is a reflection of that as well. Test match cricket is test match cricket. Do you propose something different?

11 minutes ago, Ken said:

Yes and no tbh. We dominated from 1989 until 2002-03 so that is an argument that the status of play should remain. What you acheived afterwards is a reflection of that as well. Test match cricket is test match cricket. Do you propose something different?

Nah, it's inevitable I think.

Cracks opening up on the pitch already and it is only day 2. There may be a result in this game after all. Before this started I expected multiple declarations in the game.