The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

must be pretty annoying as an aussie fan to lose the best batter in the world for a year. still hard to argue that the punishment didn't fit the crime. sandpaper ffs  - how did they reckon they'd get away with that? 

penny for @Ken's thoughts

12 months sounds a long time, but any shorter and they would have been available for the next Test series anyway.  They could have banned them from Test cricket for 12 months and other forms for 6 months, I suppose.  It will be interesting to see what happens when Warner says something.  I doubt he will take it on the chin completely (unlike Root) :)   

I see Smith has said he has no knowledge of it happening previously.  Not exactly an unequivocal it hasn't happened.  I think it's highly unlikely it's not gone on before probably with Warner instigating.  There's quite possibly other younger players who are feeling very relieved they haven't been caught and chucked under the bus like Bancroft has. 

21 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

must be pretty annoying as an aussie fan to lose the best batter in the world for a year. still hard to argue that the punishment didn't fit the crime. sandpaper ffs  - how did they reckon they'd get away with that? 

penny for @Ken's thoughts

They deserve the punishment. Warner is a cunt, he should never play for Australia again. Smith is stupid for thinking he'd get away with it. There's no hiding anywhere on the field. WTF was he thinking?!?

The backlash has been hard. Being captain of the Australian cricket team is the 2nd most important position to hold behind the PM etc etc. So on and so on...

The fact Smith had no idea that the ramifications of his actions that were caused in that post-match press conference hadn't hit home outraged me personally. Immature. Not worthy.

Having said that, Smith is a rabble now. This has become a mental health issue.

Feel a bit sorry for Bancroft in that he was put in a bad situation by much more senior players and could well see his international career never recover. I know he's not a kid etc. but still.

16 minutes ago, Ken said:

They deserve the punishment. Warner is a cunt, he should never play for Australia again. Smith is stupid for thinking he'd get away with it. There's no hiding anywhere on the field. WTF was he thinking?!?

The backlash has been hard. Being captain of the Australian cricket team is the 2nd most important position to hold behind the PM etc etc. So on and so on...

The fact Smith had no idea that the ramifications of his actions that were caused in that post-match press conference hadn't hit home outraged me personally. Immature. Not worthy.

Having said that, Smith is a rabble now. This has become a mental health issue.

that's the amazing thing. how the fuck, with all the cameras these days, did they expect not to be noticed? beggars belief. and smith, as captain and the best batter in the world, should have known better. 

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Feel a bit sorry for Bancroft in that he was put in a bad situation by much more senior players and could well see his international career never recover. I know he's not a kid etc. but still.

Yep. Agree. I think Bancroft is fine if he can keep his form. Not on the same salary as Smith and Warner which makes a difference.

Smith didn't take the first question in THAT press conference, he left it to Bancroft. Not lost mate, thrown someone under a bus...

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

that's the amazing thing. how the fuck, with all the cameras these days, did they expect not to be noticed? beggars belief. and smith, as captain and the best batter in the world, should have known better. 

No excuses. Immaturity. Dumb. Fools.

10 minutes ago, Ken said:

Yep. Agree. I think Bancroft is fine if he can keep his form. Not on the same salary as Smith and Warner which makes a difference.

Smith didn't take the first question in THAT press conference, he left it to Bancroft. Not lost mate, thrown someone under a bus...

Aye, it's all a bit unsavoury. I would normally have a giggle at Australia being in disarray but it feels like this is bigger than all that, with the integrity of the entire game being at stake somewhat. Smith will wish he stood down now but it seems he felt this was just a storm in a teacup initially.

It will be interesting to see how this effects them going forward.  I agree Warner is a cunt and as such I don't think it will effect him so much.  It might do much more damage to Smith and it would be a shame if this was the defining moment of his career as he is clearly a world class player.  Some people would find it very difficult just to come back to their best after such a long time out, let alone with something like this hanging over him.

46 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

It will be interesting to see how this effects them going forward.  I agree Warner is a cunt and as such I don't think it will effect him so much.  It might do much more damage to Smith and it would be a shame if this was the defining moment of his career as he is clearly a world class player.  Some people would find it very difficult just to come back to their best after such a long time out, let alone with something like this hanging over him.

I agree. With his French cricket-style of batting he's not a batsman I particularly enjoy watching but it's ridiculously effective and he's quite possibly / probably on his way to being an all-time great.

his technique looks all over the shop with all his fidgeting and trigger movements, but if you look at his head position at the moment he takes strike, it's pretty much in line with the ball and straight out of the text book. you'd think he'd be a prime lbw candidate, ugly-looking player, shuffling all over the shop, but it works for him and you can't argue with his stats.

another thing he seemed to have going for him was his timing and his mental strength to convert 50s into tons and to bat for time. i genuinely thought when he and root were both averaging in the mid 50s, that root was the one who would kick on and become the best in the world - he is certainly the better looking batter to watch - but it's gone the other way. root has struggled to make really big scores in the past year or so, smith looked different class during the ashes. 

• 1 month later...