The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 12/09/2018 at 15:52, Alex said:

Good chance India will win in Australia this winter. They'll have a bowling attack arguably as good as Australia's and the latter won't have Warner or Smith available.

Called it B)

Australia's batting never looked that great last year, it was just that Smith was completely out of this world and he managed to carry the rest of them.  If he hadn't been playing I think we would have won even without Stokes.  Without Smith and Warner the Aussie batting line up looks fucking dreadful.  Fair play to the Indian bowlers though, in particular Bumrah who seems to be giving batsmen all over the world nightmares at the moment.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Australia's batting never looked that great last year, it was just that Smith was completely out of this world and he managed to carry the rest of them.  If he hadn't been playing I think we would have won even without Stokes.  Without Smith and Warner the Aussie batting line up looks fucking dreadful.  Fair play to the Indian bowlers though, in particular Bumrah who seems to be giving batsmen all over the world nightmares at the moment.

The Indian pace bowlers were a handful when they toured England last summer. Definitely the makings of a top test side there. 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

The Indian pace bowlers were a handful when they toured England last summer. Definitely the makings of a top test side there. 

Yeah if their batsmen could cope with the moving ball better then it would have been a much closer series.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

The batting has been utterly pathetic so far.  I hope Hammeed has a massive return to form at the start of the county season because we're seriously lacking in a top order.

His rehabilitation should be a priority for the ECB but he’s not very good at scoring runs quickly and the whole English county game is all about white ball cricket with the Championship pushed to the margins. It’s bizarre when you consider how much the public like Test cricket. 

• Like 1

Aye I think they need to look at changing how they do things.  I suppose to be fair they recognised how far we'd fallen behind in white ball cricket and changed things successfully there but I think it's been to the detriment of the test team.  I think that might be partly because of having Bayliss as coach.  He's definitely more of a white ball coach.  I think it may be time to look at splitting the role after his contracts ends.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Aye I think they need to look at changing how they do things.  I suppose to be fair they recognised how far we'd fallen behind in white ball cricket and changed things successfully there but I think it's been to the detriment of the test team.  I think that might be partly because of having Bayliss as coach.  He's definitely more of a white ball coach.  I think it may be time to look at splitting the role after his contracts ends.

Strauss admitted from the off the ODI team and by extension winning the World Cup was the priority. But it’s not like things will drastically change after this summer even if England lose The Ashes 

It’s still unclear what our best opening three is going into the ashes. Question marks over who plays at five too. Loads of exciting attacking batsmen who can, on their day, be destructive, but who are being bounced up and down the order too much in lieu of quality test batsmen.

I was joking, sort of. He’s been man of the series in the ashes before - who else is there?

The dearth of quality test openers is so bad, I wouldn’t be against putting one of the destructive batsmen up top with burns with the license to have a dart. It worked with Sehwag and Warner so might be worth a punt. Still doesn’t solve the number three spot. 

I think Burns has done enough to suggest he might make it. Was interesting hearing Compton talk about how Bayliss’ comments about him needing to score quicker ate away at him. Compton has probably looked as good as any of the players they’ve tried post-Strauss. Obviously he’s retired now but I find it ridiculous that you would pick a player based on their first class performances then ask them to change the way they play 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s a 5 day game, they don’t all have to score quickly. I thought Compton was hooked too quickly the first time he had a run in the side. 

Also there was that match (away series v South Africa?) where he was out trying to hit a 6. I think England were only a few runs from winning if my memory serves me right. I wonder if he’d have done better if he’d not had that in the back of his mind. In test cricket people seem to have forgotten being 60-0 after 20 overs is better than being there after 8 overs. It’s all about seeing off the new ball and tiring the opening bowlers. Edit: even more so with our middle order 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

Playing three traditional test openers at the top of the order to take the shine off the new ball would set up the innings for our more aggressive stroke-makers. Problem is we can’t even find one of them. Hoping you’re right about Burns and that he makes a big score in the final test against the windies to boost his confidence before the ashes

Edited by Dr Gloom

I had been laughing at the Aussies, after the India series and some spectacular top order collapses against Sri Lanka, but I have retreated into my shell after the last two tests in the WI. 

Even when the other team is showing England what they need to do on the pitch, they will not do it, and say they want to play aggressive cricket.  Sometimes you just need to hang around first, to allow yourself to play aggressive cricket later.

They all seem to want to score a century at a run a ball, and all they end up doing is scoring a few at a run a ball. 

Muppets :mad:

• Like 1

Root's comments about not winning games by scoring slowing were ridiculous really.

The only player we have who seems to trying to convert to playing in a 'test' way is Stokes.  But he's probably the player, given that he's the all rounder, that want to play in the way the rest of them are. The top order is the real problem though, the stroke players can't come in and play their way because the bowlers aren't being tired and ball isn't being worn.  But when you look at which top order batsmen are scoring runs in County Cricket all you have is Burns and Hildreth (who's 34 I think) and Bell in division two.  I think Roy may as well be given a chance even if he's just told to go out and get a quick score.  That might not do the wearing down job of an opener but it might mean that by the time we're a couple of wickets down we have some sort of score on the board.

• Like 1

i think they have to stick with burns now. you have to give someone a run of tests at some point and see if they can grow into it.

as long as they don't bring back jennings, vince or ballance. they've all had enough chances and all keep getting out the same way. i'd rather recall bell - at least he has some pedigree against the aussies. 

I would say with Vince it’s been poor shot selection, whereas with Ballance and Jennings it’s poor technique. I appreciate that selecting the right shot at the right time is all about having the correct mentality for test cricket but I think it’s easier to set that right than the massive technical issues with the other two