The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, NJS said:

I know it was the rules but my simple view was that NZ should have won on the basis of losing fewer wickets. 

Just as arbitrary as fours scored tbh. And England might not have thrown away wickets trying to Get stokes back on strike if they knew that was the rule in advance.

As a spectacle, it was unlike any other cricket match I’ve seen - unbelievable drama - but it wasn’t a satisfactory way to end the tournament, a bit like winning the football World Cup in a penalty shoot out, because a winner had to be found from two teams that couldn’t be separated in 50 overs.

But both teams knew what they had to do going into the super over. Maybe they should have a sudden death super overs next time? Not that I expect that to happen in a WC final again. 

6 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Apparently the umpires cocked up for awarding 6 runs when the fielders throw came off Stokes bat. As the players hadn't crossed a second time at the point of the throw they should only have been given 5 runs apparently :lol:

They hadn’t completed the second run when the throw was made. That’s the rule apparently. That said, Stokes may have hit the last ball of the innings for a boundary if he needed more than two. 

Edited by Alex

5 hours ago, NJS said:

I know it was the rules but my simple view was that NZ should have won on the basis of losing fewer wickets. 

How exactly does that encourage attacking cricket? That’s the point of the rule 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Alex said:

Another uneventful match at Lord’s 

bowler-friendly wickets should produce some exciting cricket next month and lots of results. i'm going to day 3 at edgbaston and already starting to worry we might not see much action - i wouldn't fancy having a ticket for day 4!

our lot just need to remember how to bat in tests after one warm up game. at least the aussies will be just as undercooked with the red ball after the WC

Fuck knows how smith gets so many runs with that technique but it’s practically impossible to get him out when he’s set, something Root acknowledged to the world by putting all 9 fielders on the boundary to him. 

Probably would have taken bowling them out for 280 after they won they toss but feels like they’re ahead with Jimmy out of the attack and given how they recovered to make that score from 127 for 8 or whatever it was.

Can our lot bat for a day? 🤔

6 hours ago, Ken said:

A very interesting start to the test match. Not sure who will prevail in this game and the series.

Fancy us from here in this test. Smith aside, your batting looks pretty ordinary. 

I’m at Edgbaston  tomorrow. Stay tuned for a drunken update with my day 3 analysis. 

On 8/3/2019 at 03:18, Dr Gloom said:

Smith aside, your batting looks pretty ordinary. 

Bastard is clearly still cheating - not getting out until he has at least 140.  Should have been banned for life <_<