The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Smith is some player. To come back from a year out and hit almost 300 runs in the first test of an ashes series. His conversion rate is insane. 25 tons, 24 50s. Root has loads more 50s, he’s only converted 12 of them

Tough day of batting for England today. Lyons or maybe the rain will be key

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Bastard is clearly still cheating - not getting out until he has at least 140.  Should have been banned for life <_<

My mate started the “he’s got sandpaper in his hands” chant on Saturday while Warner was on the boundary - quality 😂

Did you see someone holding a 7 sign up made of sandpaper when someone scored a six? That got a laugh out of me.

Also the football World Cup fancy dress was canny funny :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

Did you see someone holding a 7 sign up made of sandpaper when someone scored a six? That got a laugh out of me.

Also the football World Cup fancy dress was canny funny :lol: 

Yeah, lifting the lad dressed as the World Cup after a lap of the Hollies was a good touch. 

The cardinals were a good craic too. They kept on coming, must have been over 20 men of the cloth. But they were sent on their way with chants of “paedo, paedo”

36 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye. Top marks for originality 

It was the first airing it got on Saturday! 

Warner took it white well, tbf, emptying his pockets and showing us his empty palms. Got a decent laugh from the Hollies for playing along. Preferred it to how Smith  reacted to the jeers. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Smith is some player. To come back from a year out and hit almost 300 runs in the first test of an ashes series. His conversion rate is insane. 25 tons, 24 50s. Root has loads more 50s, he’s only converted 12 of them

Tough day of batting for England today. Lyons or maybe the rain will be key

Looks like that rain dance failed to pay off 

:(

8AF4D9A8-06B2-4DFC-AB5B-5EC46E4B6932.png

18 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Warner took it white well, tbf, emptying his pockets and showing us his empty palms. Got a decent laugh from the Hollies for playing along. Preferred it to how Smith  reacted to the jeers. 

Good on Warner, but it really is the best way to handle it.  Mitchell Johnson found that out late in his career.  As for Smith .... :( 

22 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

It was the first airing it got on Saturday! 

As reactions to mass English jeering  batting for what seemed like 3 weeks over two innings is a pretty good one. 

Id have Boycott drill the English batsmen morning noon & night till the start of the next Test. Not that its done any English batsman any good whatsoever over the last 30 years, they just deserve to be punished for capitulation.

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Don’t hear a peep from him for years then he pipes up after an Aussie victory. 

What was your verdict on the WC semi final, @Ken

He really should support the mackems as he’s got their mentality down to a tee 

16 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Don’t hear a peep from him for years then he pipes up after an Aussie victory. 

What was your verdict on the WC semi final, @Ken

I think I am on record as saying I am not a fan of Twenty20 cricket or the 50 over stuff. I have really tried to get into the Big Bash but just can't sustain the interest. Same as the One Dayer's.

I'd have Foakes in for Denly and move Stokes to four and have Bairstow five, Butler six and Foakes 7 seven.  And then bring Archer and Leach in for Anderson and Ali.

I'd love to have Curran in but it's difficult to see where to really have him unless you stuck with Bairstow or Butler as keeper and played Stokes as just a batsman and used Broad, Woakes, Archer and Curran as the seamers.

5 hours ago, David Kelly said:

I'd have Foakes in for Denly and move Stokes to four and have Bairstow five, Butler six and Foakes 7 seven.  And then bring Archer and Leach in for Anderson and Ali.

I'd love to have Curran in but it's difficult to see where to really have him unless you stuck with Bairstow or Butler as keeper and played Stokes as just a batsman and used Broad, Woakes, Archer and Curran as the seamers.

5 man seam attack and leach - options.

Would be interested to know why Woakes got little time in the second innings, given he was one of the best in the first.  Was he injured?  Curran brings another dimension being a leftie and can make some decent runs, as well.  If there is any doubt about Woakes, I would have Curran there instead, with Archer and Leach replacing Jimmy and Mo.

I suppose Bairstow needs another go, but he is living on borrowed time as a batsman, and his keeping is not good enough without the runs.  Given that Foakes got a ton on his debut, the case for retaining both him and Buttler is getting weaker. 

Given Leach nearly got a ton (albeit against Ireland), Mo's time looks short, as well.  And to think he was the leading wicket taker in test matches in the last 12 months.  What has happened to him?

With Denly, clearly he is not good enough, but who else is knocking the door down?  I don't think you can move Stokes up to 4, so he may be the least worst option.  Perhaps whoever was opening prior to Roy could go in at 3/4?

Unfortunately, can't see England winning two more tests than the Aussies from here, so I think the Ashes aren't coming back this year. :( 

Edited by RobinRobin