The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

He’s got all the shots but he’s utterly brainless at  times. Some of his reviews :doh: 

Root’s got the best record of all test captains for successful reviews. And that’s with Broad in the side ;) 

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Going to have to be honest here, Gloom. I’m not sure you were right about playing Root at 3 :razz: 

He’s been out of form in tests wherever he’s played recently, which I suspect is because of the burden of the captaincy rather than his batting position. 

I think in an ideal world he would play at 4, which is where he clearly wants to bat. The problem is we don’t have a number 3 and he’s our senior batsman 

I’ve seen some people on twitter saying he should even be given another go as opener. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

This game is up for grabs if England are aggressive. I fancy bowling them out in 50 overs without Smith and Buttler and Stokes need to go through the gears. You almost want to set them a total that gives them an outside chance of a win as it increases our chances if they’re not just playing for the draw. Massive call to make though if it goes tits up.

We’re running out of tests though and we need to win the series to regain the ashes. This is a massive opportunity to share the series with Smith out. He’s scored about half their runs. Got to be bold and declare while they are still enough overs to bowl them out, if we’re not bowled out first. Big test of Roots captaincy.

39 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

He’s been out of form in tests wherever he’s played recently, which I suspect is because of the burden of the captaincy rather than his batting position. 

I think in an ideal world he would play at 4, which is where he clearly wants to bat. The problem is we don’t have a number 3 and he’s our senior batsman 

I’ve seen some people on twitter saying he should even be given another go as opener. 

I’ll take that as you admitting I was right 

No :lol:

I still think he’s our best option at 3. There isn’t another player in the test team better qualified to play what is the most challenging role in the batting order.

Could he do worse than all the others we’ve tried at the top of the order since Strauss and Cook? He didn’t look a natural opener when he first came into the side. 

Giving the captaincy to stokes and telling him to concentrate on his batting might help him.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

No :lol:

I still think he’s our best option at 3. There isn’t another player in the test team better qualified to play what is the most challenging role in the batting order.

Could he do worse than all the others we’ve tried at the top of the order since Strauss and Cook? He didn’t look a natural opener when he first came into the side. 

Giving the captaincy to stokes and telling him to concentrate on his batting might help him.

Root as opener 😂😂😂😂😂

I’m not the one suggesting he should open but remember that is where he started his test career.

the problem is he’s our best player so naturally he ends up at 3, the most difficult role in the batting line up.

He wants to bat at four and in an ideal world that’s where he would bat but we don’t have that luxury. He repromoted himself to 3 this time 

I think he got it right. It's not like they wouldn't have adjusted their focus when they lost a few early wickets and played exactly as they are now. The weather robbed the game of a result, not the timing of the declaration. 

• Like 2