The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m not the one suggesting he should open but remember that is where he started his test career.

the problem is he’s our best player so naturally he ends up at 3, the most difficult role in the batting line up.

He wants to bat at four and in an ideal world that’s where he would bat but we don’t have that luxury. He repromoted himself to 3 this time 

Absolute rubbish tbh. Moving your best player to make up for the inadequacies of the other batsmen doesn’t solve a problem. It compounds it when, as in this case, it has a detrimental impact on his batting. It’s even more ridiculous when, like in this match, they had a natural better option, ie Denly, for 3. You obviously won’t agree but it doesn’t matter because the stats back me up

It would have taken balls to ask them to chase 220 but our chances of victory would have also increased - more overs to skittle them out and more chance of taking wickets with them them playing shots to try to win the game. Even then the draw wluld have been the favourite result 

Just now, Alex said:

Absolute rubbish tbh. Moving your best player to make up for the inadequacies of the other batsmen doesn’t solve a problem. It compounds it when, as in this case, it has a detrimental impact on his batting. It’s even more ridiculous when, like in this match, they had a natural better option, ie Denly, for 3. You obviously won’t agree but it doesn’t matter because the stats back me up

Ok :lol:

That Denly is a better option than Root at 3? Erm, ok.

Root has a test match ton at 3. He moved himself there to protect Denly so you should be telling Root himself that you’re right 

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

That Denly is a better option than Root at 3? Erm, ok.

Root has a test match ton at 3. He moved himself there to protect Denly so you should be telling Root himself that you’re right 

Root has 2 hundreds at three and 7 centuries batting at four (with a far superior average) if you want to go down that road. That doesn’t mean Denly is a better test number three and it’s silly to suggest I implied that. He’s an opener and, as such, the balance of the side is better with him at 3 and Root at 4 imo. And if you  think the idea of moving your best batsman out of his comfort zone to 3 to protect an inferior batsman (who’s actually an opener anyway) isn’t muddled thinking then you’re more clueless than I thought you were

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

Root has 2 hundreds at three and 7 centuries batting at four (with a far superior average) if you want to go down that road. That doesn’t mean Denly is a better test number three and it’s silly to suggest I implied that. He’s an opener and, as such, the balance of the side is better with him at 3 and Root at 4 imo. And if you  think the idea of moving your best batsman out of his comfort zone to 3 to protect an inferior batsman (who’s actually an opener anyway) isn’t muddled thinking then you’re more clueless than I thought you were

Ok :lol:

Archer is at the moment the last

22 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Feels like the force is with us going into Leeds with Archer’s arrival on the test stage and Smith’s concussion.

Archer is your last great hope for England. Without him you have no chance of winning a game.

Never a bore, the Ashes.

7 hours ago, Ken said:

Archer is at the moment the last

Archer is your last great hope for England. Without him you have no chance of winning a game.

Never a bore, the Ashes.

Your bowling attack is competitive but take Smith’s runs away and your batting looks even dodgier than ours. This series is alive. Let’s see where we are in a couple of tests if Jimmy recovers to share the new ball with Archer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Your bowling attack is competitive but take Smith’s runs away and your batting looks even dodgier than ours. This series is alive. Let’s see where we are in a couple of tests if Jimmy recovers to share the new ball with Archer.

Really? :lol:

I f not for Archer this is the worst England team since Nasser Hussein captained.

In test match cricket, you’re probably right. A decision was made by the ECB to do everything to win the World Cup. The test team has suffered because of that strategy - an unbalanced side with too many players in white ball mindset. Our batting at the top of the order has been flakey post Strauss, Trott and Cook. 

That’s not to say we aren’t still capable of dispatching a pretty average Australia side in home conditions. Your bowling is impressive, your batting, other than Smith, isn’t.

I would agree this is your best chance of winning the Ashes over here for 20 years. But the momentum in the series has shifted. Smith is out for Headlingly, Archer had a barnstorming debut and we’ve got the leading wicket taking fast bowler of all time hopefully to come back in the side for the final two tests.