The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Two days later and I still can't believe this happened.  Stokes just seemed to bend the match to his will.  They should find a spot for him in the new Matrix film.

My boss is a “cricket tragic”.  No different to me with football  but I’ve never really met one before. He phoned at 2pm on Friday, simultaneously demanding & predicting the end of Test cricket. I called him today to ask how he felt about it all after Sunday and he said “might as well abolish Tests anyway, fuckin Stokes turned it into a one day game anyaway” :lol: 

He sounds like a moron tbh :lol: It was probably the greatest test innings ever by an Englishman and it contained a bit of  everything. Not least because it was built on the foundations of a defensive masterclass when Stokes had to dig in and was something like 2 not out off 60-odd deliveries overnight. He only went berserk when there was little other option. The big thing being virtually no one else could have actually carried it off

• Like 1

I certainly think there's no one else in our team that has the ability to play in both those ways.  Root can defend and then move up through the gears but he couldn't get up to the six hitting point that Stokes reached.  Buttler or Bairstow could twat the ball all over bur would never have been able to start off the way he did.  There's very few in world cricket who could even contemplate pulling that off.

Give him the captaincy and let Root concentrate on his batting? Stokes comes across as the sort of character who might thrive on the extra responsibility, though captaining on top of batting and bowling is a big ask.

So if, as it seems, Jimmy is back in the side for old Trafford, who misses out? I can’t see Broad being rested as he’s got Warner’s number this series. It would be very harsh to drop Woakes plus he is a good number 8. Archer is going nowhere.

Do you lengthen the tail and drop an underperforming batsman like Roy, or Buttler, and potentially create more headaches reshuffling the batting order? I suspect Woakes might be the one to miss out.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

I’m not sure of the solution tbh. There’s always the chance it could knack Stokes batting as well. 

Did that for Botham all those years ago.  Had to bring back Brearley as captian and he then went to Headingley :) 

Edited by RobinRobin

5 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I suspect Woakes might be the one to miss out.

I agree. Not been at his best, really, and could have really stuffed up when letting the Aussies get off the leash in the second innings (as did Stokes), but then did not hold up the batting side of things, so not really missing his batting.  Would like to get Curran in for his left arm difference and batting, but as you say, Broad has been brilliant and Archer is going nowhere either.

14 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

So if, as it seems, Jimmy is back in the side for old Trafford, who misses out? I can’t see Broad being rested as he’s got Warner’s number this series. It would be very harsh to drop Woakes plus he is a good number 8. Archer is going nowhere.

Do you lengthen the tail and drop an underperforming batsman like Roy, or Buttler, and potentially create more headaches reshuffling the batting order? I suspect Woakes might be the one to miss out.

Woakes hasn't really been at his best this series so if Jimmy's fit then he would be the obvious candidate to miss out.  Yes it theoretically lengthens the tail but given that the Aussies seem to know how to get Woakes out fairly easily, it probably doesn't make much difference.  And the key thing will be getting Smith (and possibly Labuschagne) out so we need to give ourselves the best opportunity to do that.

Id be seriously considering dropping Roy too.  He's not looking close to being up to opening at test level so far.  God know who you'd replace him with though.  There has been some talk of moving Denly up to open again and bringing in Pope at 4.  Not really sure that's much of an answer though.

• Like 1

yeah, there's no one else banging down the door, is there.

i think with roy, you have to accept he will fail frequently because of his batting style but he also needs to start contributing the odd quick fire 50 to justify selection. His chances of doing so would increase if he wasn't facing the aussie quicks with the new ball. batting in Buttler's spot would suit him better and he might be worth trying there if buttler's poor form in tests continues, but then you're back to who opens again. i can see them sticking with him for the five ashes tests to see if he can contribute at least one destructive innings before they abandon the idea altogether. 

12 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, there's no one else banging down the door, is there.

i think with roy, you have to accept he will fail frequently because of his batting style but he also needs to start contributing the odd quick fire 50 to justify selection. His chances of doing so would increase if he wasn't facing the aussie quicks with the new ball. batting in Buttler's spot would suit him better and he might be worth trying there if buttler's poor form in tests continues, but then you're back to who opens again. i can see them sticking with him for the five ashes tests to see if he can contribute at least one destructive innings before they abandon the idea altogether. 

Probably could not have picked a worse series for him to start his test career, but you have to face them all some time.  He was not that flash in the first innings against Ireland either, but got a good score in the second.  I think they need to stick for the rest of the series.  

Then see how he goes against NZ in the winter.  It needs someone else to start making good runs, to go on tour, and displace him. 

He needs some confidence, perhaps a dropped catch letting him off the leash, and he could go on to to be a Warner (without the punches and sandpaper).

• Like 1

gutted for him. injured for what is almost certainly his final home ashes series. would have been awesome to see him opening the bowling in tandem with archer. i wonder if we ever will now, or if he'll call it a day. 

the beeb reckon denly will swap batting positions with roy, which makes sense, but i'm not sure about roy and buttler at 4 and 5. one of them should come in after stokes. 

You know that “Everything for £5 shop” in town? Popped in with my brother for some cheap holiday shorts for my brother & they had Mumbai Indians shirts for.....£5. 

We both got one :lol: 

• Like 2

On 30/08/2019 at 21:37, Dr Gloom said:

gutted for him. injured for what is almost certainly his final home ashes series. would have been awesome to see him opening the bowling in tandem with archer. i wonder if we ever will now, or if he'll call it a day. 

the beeb reckon denly will swap batting positions with roy, which makes sense, but i'm not sure about roy and buttler at 4 and 5. one of them should come in after stokes. 

Denly has apparently confirmed he will be opening and Roy will be at four. Personally I'd like to see him in after Stokes but they obviously don't want to put too much onto Stokes with his bowling as well.  Hopfully the top three will be able to take the shine off the ball before Roy comes in.  

Two new umpires in for the last two matches too.  

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

I thought he was at 5 

:lol: Yeah, it wouldn’t be a huge surprise if he batted in the position he has for his last 3 test innings which have yielded 2 centuries. The cricket genius might just be into something there 

Cricket genius :lol: 

He started the series at 6 but they bumped him to 5 a when the match situation demanded in a couple of games. I wasn’t aware it was a formal change but seems like logical to make it so he separates Roy   and jos.

He’s a better option there than Buttler when we’re in the midst of a batting collapse. Arguably also at 4 ahead of Roy, but I didn’t mention that because I know how sensitive you get when there is talk of reshuffling the order. 

But if you insist, Root didn't do too badly at 3 in his last innings did he? :razz: