The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aussies win the toss and bat first

England: Rory Burns, Joe Denly, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler, Craig Overton, Jofra Archer, Stuart Broad, Jack Leach.

Australia: David Warner, Marcus Harris, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Matthew Wade, Tim Paine, Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon.

Woakes was hardly being used by him anyway, but yes seems an odd decision to leave him for so long.  As I understand it, the pitch does not really suit Overton, which calls into question why they made the decision so early, rather than waiting for the toss.

Woakes was bowling first change and after jimmy got crocked and prior to Archer arriving, he  was opening the bowling. What’s the point in replacing him with bowler if the captain doesn’t trust him to bowl while the ball is newish? I’m glad he got his wicket and I hope he does well today but it feels like a strange decision. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

5 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Woakes was hardly being used by him anyway, but yes seems an odd decision to leave him for so long.  As I understand it, the pitch does not really suit Overton, which calls into question why they made the decision so early, rather than waiting for the toss.

I still don’t understand why Curran is out of favour. He saved our skin with the bat so many times last summer and offers something different with the ball. Overton isn’t the quickest but he didn’t offer that much control with the ball yesterday either, though he obviously wasn’t alone in that regard.

Curran’s lack of pace is probably the issue, unless there’s something we don’t know about. Although it hasn’t hindered him so far, in English conditions at least. He can certainly hold a bat as well. I think the selections have been a bit odd all series though. 

The talk yesterday morning was that the pitch suited the taller bowler so that's why Overton was picked instead of Curran.  But that opinion seems to be on the way the Old Trafford pitch used to play rather than how it does now.  It seems obvious that once Wood and Stone were ruled out and Anderson was struggling, the selectors have been all over the place.

Fucking sick of Smith now like, we were desperate for Archer to hold onto that caught and bowled.