The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Windies batting line up isn't great tbf.  We should have been beating them 3-0 really.  Mistake by Stokes to bat first in the first test and the lack of time in the middle before hand for our batters cost us there.  You'd expect our batsmen to be better set for the Pakistan series.

Superb from Broad though.

I think it was poor batting rather than a mistake to bat first in the first test. Good series though and Broad looks to be as good as ever. 

Either way I can’t be arsed being critical of a team thats had that long off :up: 

I think I’m gonna watch the ODI on Thursday, which should be okay despite the lads missing because of the test.

11 hours ago, Tom said:

Either way I can’t be arsed being critical of a team thats had that long off :up: 

I think I’m gonna watch the ODI on Thursday, which should be okay despite the lads missing because of the test.

World champions :nufc: 

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Possibly ... or possibly not :) 

I reckon he’s got a great chance of beating his record. He’s three years younger, only 70 odd wickets behind and getting better with age. Funny because I don’t he’s ever been as highly rated, particularly early in their careers. The Aussies used to call him Stuart Fraud 

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I reckon he’s got a great chance of beating his record. He’s three years younger, only 70 odd wickets behind and getting better with age. Funny because I don’t he’s ever been as highly rated, particularly early in their careers. The Aussies used to call him Stuart Fraud 

I still think he’d struggle down under but I’d have said the same about Anderson and he did really well last time round. If he bowls with the accuracy he’s bowled with this summer he might do a good job though. When you’re bowling c. 85 mph and getting seam movement it’s virtually unplayable because the movement is that bit later than the swinging ball. Also, while the Ashes are very nice important, you play 5 tests in Australia over the course of 4 years whilst playing about 25 in England over the same period. 

Also, with regard to how he’s rated compared to Anderson, I think he’s had loads of dropped catches, relatively speaking, over his career and he’s also had to bowl at the end Jimmy didn’t want to bowl at. 

As for the Aussies, 8-15 tbh. 

Traditional English fast bowlers always struggle down under. The selectors are desperate to get Archer and Wood bowling in tandem next time.

Broad is up there with Anderson in English conditions. Jimmy’s unique ability to swing it around corners meant Broad has played second fiddle but he’s such an intelligent bower - the way he developed his leg cutter delivery, for example.

He was rightly criticised when he first broke through for playing too many short deliveries and trying to be the enforcer but when he pitches it up and gets on a roll, there are few better. How many times has he torn through sides in the past? He’s a match winner and I wouldn’t be surprised if he retires with more wickets than Jimmy - I can see him going on for a few more years and chalking up 600+ test wickets 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

That's because they are a team of cunts like Steve Smith.

Fucking cricket!

You’re my favourite Aussie. After Les Patterson 

18 hours ago, Alex said:

I think it was poor batting rather than a mistake to bat first in the first test. Good series though and Broad looks to be as good as ever. 

I think we put ourselves under too much pressure batting first in those conditions and given the small amount of practice the batsmen had.  I can understand why they did it but I think it was inevitable that we'd struggle to get a score.

I wouldn't expect the same type of struggles in the next series with the practice we've had with this.  Could be the same for Pakistan though as they don't seem to be getting much time out in the middle.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Traditional English fast bowlers always struggle down under. The selectors are desperate to get Archer and Wood bowling in tandem next time.

Broad is up there with Anderson in English conditions. Jimmy’s unique ability to swing it around corners meant Broad has played second fiddle but he’s such an intelligent bower - the way he developed his leg cutter delivery, for example.

He was rightly criticised when he first broke through for playing too many short deliveries and trying to be the enforcer but when he pitches it up and gets on a roll, there are few better. How many times has he torn through sides in the past? He’s a match winner and I wouldn’t be surprised if he retires with more wickets than Jimmy - I can see him going on for a few more years and chalking up 600+ test wickets 

The problem is that selectors think you need fast bowlers in Australian conditions, and then pick the quickest bowlers, not necessarily the best.  That is how bowlers like Tremlett and Rankin got to go, but they were told to pitch it short, and did not target the stumps. 

Broad and Anderson were clearly told the same, which meant that they lost the ability to take wickets and were punished for it, because they did not have the raw pace to make the batsmen uncomfortable.

17 hours ago, Tom said:

The Aussies :lol:

Their papers treated him worse than ours treated Corbyn.

image.jpeg.944a38558c7ac3b53f03e07e0d2a95d5.jpeg

Need I say more? 

That came as a result of Darren Lehman saying he should be made to go running home to mummy by the crowds.  The same person who did not like it when similar "banter" was given to David Warner in SA before sandpapergate!

Edited by RobinRobin

53 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

The problem is that selectors think you need fast bowlers in Australian conditions, and then pick the quickest bowlers, not necessarily the best.  That is how bowlers like Tremlett and Rankin got to go, but they were told to pitch it short, and did not target the stumps. 

Broad and Anderson were clearly told the same, which meant that they lost the ability to take wickets and were punished for it, because they did not have the raw pace to make the batsmen uncomfortable.

And there is the problem, a bit like football scouts with youth players, the biggest and fastest aren't always the best.

Australia's best pace bowlers have always been slower than their "quick" counterparts Lillee for Thommo, Mcgraw for Lee but they have that bit extra that pace loses.

But wtf would I know, I lost interest in cricket when cousin Doug retired!

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

image.jpeg.944a38558c7ac3b53f03e07e0d2a95d5.jpeg

Need I say more? 

That came as a result of Darren Lehman saying he should be made to go running home to mummy by the crowds.  The same person who did not like it when similar "banter" was given to David Warner in SA before sandpapergate!

Aye, a tad hypocritical :lol: not least given none of them would’ve walked. Broad didn’t even edge it to slip like they made out. He edged it and it deflected off the keeper’s gloves to slip. Also, wasn’t there DRS in that series but Clarke kept using them up with speculative reviews? 

6 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Tremlett was class out there on the 2011/12 tour 

5 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Tremlett was class out there on the 2011/12 tour 

That was a ridiculous decision when he went based purely on that. He’d done absolutely nothing to suggest he was anywhere near being back to that form. He was pretty much finished. 

• Like 1