The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

He's looking a better and better test player all the time.  Shame he's only playing one against India.

He (Buttler) is in squad for first two isn't he ?? (Bairstow, Curran and Wood given a break)

10 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

He (Buttler) is in squad for first two isn't he ?? (Bairstow, Curran and Wood given a break)

Michael Vaughan was going on about it on TMS and I'm sure he said Buttler was only there for the first test.  The other three you mention are missing the firts two that's right.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

we're playing one of the best test sides in the world and we're resting senior players. i don't get it. you'd think they'd be champing at the bit 

I can certainly get resting Wood given his fitness issues and Curran as been bubbled up for long period with England and the IPL and I'm not convinced he'd be that important a player in India for us.  But I don't get Bairstow or Buttler at all.

yeah, wood i suppose makes more sense. i dunno about the others. curran could be useful. he has that knack of taking wickets even off bad balls, and he can bat. 

you have to be taking bairstow and buttler, surely? two of our better players of spin.

19 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we're playing one of the best test sides in the world and we're resting senior players. i don't get it. you'd think they'd be champing at the bit 

image.png.a545e2cddd8ed46921bdb811ce809c56.png

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/1982316/national-selectors-name-test-squad-for-first-and-second-tests-in-india

Possibly to do with the strains of being in a "bubble" outside of training/playing etc.

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, wood i suppose makes more sense. i dunno about the others. curran could be useful. he has that knack of taking wickets even off bad balls, and he can bat. 

you have to be taking bairstow and buttler, surely? two of our better players of spin.

Yeah, I mean I get this is exceptional circumtances but the South Africa trip was cut short so surely they haven't had too hard a time of it recently.  And surely Sri Lanka was a better time to rest players.  Although I suppose with Pope being injured, Burns being on paternity and Stokes and Archer rested there's only so many changes the could have made.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

image.png.a545e2cddd8ed46921bdb811ce809c56.png

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/1982316/national-selectors-name-test-squad-for-first-and-second-tests-in-india

Possibly to do with the strains of being in a "bubble" outside of training/playing etc.

i just listened to aggers interviewing root where he justifies the move and you're spot on - it's a mental health/well being decision based on looking after those players who are living in the bubble for a prolonged period of time. 

vaughan follows it up by slating the decision, saying you want your best players there for india. 

The conditions look “terrible” tbh. I’ve been looking at Stokes Instagram story & whilst he’s in a 5* hotel or whatever he’s trapped in there till he finishes quarantine. (Again) 

It can’t be nice for a lot of the lads.

34 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

vaughan follows it up by slating the decision, saying you want your best players there for india. 

Vaughan is a class A prick though :)

You do need your best players but only if they are at their best, the bubble malarkey is bit like going to work and then being stuck in your hotel room for weeks on end rest of the time, which is what it's like I believe.

Bairtstow seems to have been brought back into the team because he's a decent player of spin as much as anything else.  If that's the case then it seems odd to rest him when we're going to have our biggest spin test rather than in the home series later on or the short form matches.  Although I suppose he's being kept for the World Cup as much as anything.

12 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Bairtstow seems to have been brought back into the team because he's a decent player of spin as much as anything else.  If that's the case then it seems odd to rest him when we're going to have our biggest spin test rather than in the home series later on or the short form matches.  Although I suppose he's being kept for the World Cup as much as anything.

I think he was brought back due to Burns taking paternity leave and Pope being injured, but the ability against spin is very much in his favour and it would be his place to lose again. 

Seems harsh, but you are right that he is probably more likely being kept for the World Cup and his recent record in tests (apart from the last couple) has not been that flash.  Unless he can play the fast bowlers properly, he ain't going to OZ for the Ashes.